• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Chances are, if you've skied with me often in the last half decade, you got tired of listening to my winter cough.

From November to April, I kept Halls cough drop stock on the rise, in a losing battle against The Cough. Besides Halls, I have been to allergy docs, asthma docs, ENT docs, and tried every modern medicine they could think of. Like a bad penny, The Cough would turn up. by late afternoon on a ski day, I would have a headache from coughing so forcefully. The Cough would follow me home, and follow me to work.

This year, I (knock on wood) don't have a cough. The only remarkable difference is that I take a wild oregano pill every night. @dondenver is one of the many that have had to endure my coughing on the chairlift, and last winter, he recommended I take oregano pills. Oregano has a buncha antioxidants, and is a natural anti inflammatory. I was skeptical, but I did try it late last winter. Unfortunately, the cough was in full force, and the oregano had too much of a hill to climb, I reckon. This year, I started taking oregano pills about six weeks before the lifts started turning. I keep waiting for a brain rattling cough, yet today was day 24 making turns, several of them in single digit temps, and still no cough. The season isn't over, but it's been a very different winter so far.

Thanks, Don!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Oddly, I had a cough that lasted 14 months. Same thing, nobody found anything wrong. I stopped taking a migraine preventative which was making me nuts and not fixing my migraines... And the cough was gone in one week. It was not listed as a possible side effect.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I only "took" oregano in high school. It wasn't on purpose. I thought that I was buying a bag of weed, but...
At least it was better than the pencil shavings that I almost bought once. Buyer beware, indeed.
You're probably already aware, but I'm sure @FairToMiddlin is referring to something closer to
CNA007.jpg

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, as a current cougher, I'm intrigued; are we talking powdered oregano capsules or oil? How many capsules/times per day? Any other interesting side effects e.g. taste?

James

Out There
Instructor
Amazing. That Mr. Denver!
Do you think the cough was related to dry winter western air?

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
So, as a current cougher, I'm intrigued; are we talking powdered oregano capsules or oil? How many capsules/times per day? Any other interesting side effects e.g. taste?

Paul, I have been taking one of these a night:

They certainly aren’t the only product out there, but they have been working. As far as side effect, it does smell delightfully of oregano, and it makes me think of pizza, sometimes resulting in increased caloric intake...

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Get your heartbeat up for an hour every day. This cleanses the lungs and blood and builds muscle while burning fat and byproducts. The breathing improves. Naysayers who refuse to get heartbeat up for an hour will reject this as foolish...try turmeric 2 teaspoons/day to reduce inflammation. The junk causing coughing will leave. (Playing Dr on the internet)

James

Out There
Instructor
Surely CBD oil can cure it like it does everything else.
I was at the vets with a friend's dog. Posters everywhere. One, "Does your dog have anxiety?" CBD.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad I came across this thread. I was sick early November and have been coughing every since. I've been to the doctor twice, and the last time they put me on antibiotics, yet I am still coughing -- especially after skiing (not during).

Just ordered some!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Paul, I have been taking one of these a night:

They certainly aren’t the only product out there, but they have been working. As far as side effect, it does smell delightfully of oregano, and it makes me think of pizza, sometimes resulting in increased caloric intake...

@FairToMiddlin , can you post what you're taking again. The pic went away. Is it oregano oil? or leaf in a capsule? What brand?

Thanks

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As someone who has also suffered from a winter cough after getting really sick 8 years ago and who has also seen some of @FairToMiddlin's cough I was impressed with the lack of cough I saw from him while skiing together this week. I ordered oil of oregano capsules (before he posted the pic) and am hoping to see some improvement as well. I've also started taking turmeric to help with inflammation both in the lungs and more generally in my body. Hopefully I'll be able to post a similar report in the not so distant future.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine came today while I was out skiing. Just took one!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does this just work on chronic, non disease associated cough, or will it also quiet the relentless cough virus that has been going around this winter? It's a bear. Been battling for over two weeks and no clear end in sight.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I came down with what I thought was the flu just before the Christmas holidays. The actual flu-like symptoms went away after about 10 days. But the cough just won't go away. The 'doc said it probably was the RSV virus and a common after affect is a nagging cough that can last for several (!!!) weeks. Apparently RSV is a big problem this winter in the PNW, along with flu type B.

So... I'm going to give the oregano 'tabs a try.

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Does this just work on chronic, non disease associated cough, or will it also quiet the relentless cough virus that has been going around this winter? It's a bear. Been battling for over two weeks and no clear end in sight.

Jerez, I can’t begin to predict if it would help with that. The stated benefits are a reduction in inflammation; what I’ve experienced is that I had a seasonal condition I knew was coming, and took oregano pills before the season started (and continue to do so) as a preventative attempt, and it’s been working.

Whatever you’ve been trying, I hope something starts working soon. A cough that won’t quit disrupts everything you do, you said it best, it’s a bear to deal with.

Sponsor

Staff online