• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Year Round at Powder Ridge, Connecticut

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Last edited by a moderator:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have you ever been to Powder Ridge? Nothing but beginner terrain.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
500 feet is tough to justify driving 2 hours to get there (that's how far away I am). However, I'm still probably going to do it once for the experience. Putting ski boots on outside in the early August CT heat and humidity will sure feel odd.

Hope it works out for them and they expand to the summit next year.

Even if they are all beginner terrain (I have never been) it is still a good thing for New England skiing IMO. It'd be awesome if a slightly larger area with a little better terrain tried it out too.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Have you ever been to Powder Ridge? Nothing but beginner terrain.

I've never skied there but am just curious how it all will work. Although Hops in the Hills Beer festival is going on at okemo that same weekend so.....

I think it's a great idea and I think the planned summit expansion by summer 2018 is a awesome.

Maybe other, bigger mountains will take to this too. It's certainly a great idea if you are twitching for a fix mid summer and just want to slide on something.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Powder Ridge is where I learned to ski back in high school, and it's about a 20 min drive from my parents house. I will almost definitely check this out next time I'm back east in the summertime. It's true that the terrain isn't great, but... how much terrain can you really ski on this synthetic stuff? :) Maybe Powder Ridge will be perfect for it.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've never skied there but am just curious how it all will work. Although Hops in the Hills Beer festival is going on at okemo that same weekend so.....

I think it's a great idea and I think the planned summit expansion by summer 2018 is a awesome.

Maybe other, bigger mountains will take to this too. It's certainly a great idea if you are twitching for a fix mid summer and just want to slide on something.

My band is actually playing there August 12 6-9PM. Planning to do some mountain biking either there or nearby trails earlier in the afternoon. Not gonna bring ski gear though!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I assume the stoke is mainly people who have never had the joy of skiing dry slopes before. I mean its skiing and its awesome for early development but you'd be hard pushed to find a surface you could remotely describe as fun.

Price seems fair but there is a bit of a gotcha if they aren't offering one or 2 hour ski tickets. Even the most obsessed would struggle with 4 hours of dry slope unless they are a rail monkey.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You're better off going here if you're really serious about artificial surface skiing..

Liberty Mountain SnowPlex

Bring kneepads and elbow pads.. Hurts to fall on that stuff..

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Had my first pair of skis stolen from there back in 1979 at 2AM as the lifts ran until 3 on weekends. The main chair was the first quad lift that I rode as they were rare back in the day. Think it was called the 747 Quad.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_3682.JPG

Powder Ridge 1970 - canceled
IMG_3683.JPG

IMG_3684.JPG

Wikipedia:
The Powder Ridge Rock Festival was scheduled to be held July 31, August 1 and August 2, 1970 at Powder Ridge Ski Area in Middlefield, Connecticut. A legal injunction forced the event to be canceled, keeping the musicians away; but a crowd of 30,000 attendees[1] arrived anyway, to find no food, no entertainment, no adequate plumbing, and at least seventy drug dealers. William Manchester wrote: "Powder Ridge was an accident waiting to happen, and it happened."[2] Volunteer doctor William Abruzzi declared a drug "crisis" on 1 August and said "Woodstock was a pale pot scene. This is a heavy hallucinogens scene."[3]

Wow! Today (July 31) is the anniversary!

Last edited:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Had my first pair of skis stolen from there back in 1979 at 2AM as the lifts ran until 3 on weekends. The main chair was the first quad lift that I rode as they were rare back in the day. Think it was called the 747 Quad.

Must have been those dang hippies still hanging around.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied there once in High School on a weekend night when it was supposed to be open until 3am. At around midnight they said they had to close the lift because of bear sightings at the summit. I just think the employees wanted to start partying. Did not matter as I think the 20 people or so were probably tired of skiing the same 500 foot vertical trails over and over again. I know we were .

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
Opening is this weekend. We'll be out of town but I hope to check it out next weekend.

Here's a few videos, it looks pretty cool.

https://powderridgepark.com/365-synthetic-snow-park/
Might try and make it down on Sunday. Can't do Saturday or Monday. I'll shoot for next weekend too if I can't make this weekend.

I hope they see enough success (whatever they define as success at least) to not discourage them from expanding to the summit next year.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Might try and make it down on Sunday. Can't do Saturday or Monday. I'll shoot for next weekend too if I can't make this weekend.

I hope they see enough success (whatever they define as success at least) to not discourage them from expanding to the summit next year.

I hope it all goes well for them too. Summit access would be awesome. I'm tempted to bring a pair of skis next weekend just in case I want to try it. My edges are good and you don't need to wax the skis. I might want to try it.

Sponsor

Staff online