• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While I was on the lift today I was thinking about thread ideas and this came up. What skis have you been on that either have lived up to their hype and made you think, Day-um, these really are THAT good.

Enforcer, skied it today and my lust for it has carried over from last season.
Monster 88, solid and possibly the reference ski for frontside biased 88's
Nordica NRGy108, the best of both the Vagabond and El Capo
Head Rally, best of the Supoershape series for versatility without loosing what you expect from a hard snow ski.
Kastle MX, any of them. Timeless skis.

What are some of your skis that just stand out and and make you just :hail:.

Blizzard Black Pearl - This was the first ski in the blizzard line up that really grabbed my attention. Still holds up for a majority of the women skiers looking for an all mountain ski.
Nordica Santa Ana - Nordica just hit this one out of the park.
Head Great Joy - What an incredibly fun ski to carve the groomers. In fact, I could also put the Great Joy in this thread.
DPS Yvette - The first powder ski that blew my mind and made me feel like I couldn't do anything wrong in the Sierra Powder

Downtown

Putting on skis
Skier
Ok...one more ski for reference.

Use to ski the older model (2011) Mantra in a 177. Seemed a little short at times in the fluff.

Thx Phil...I know it's a personal preference thing.

DT

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok...one more ski for reference.

Use to ski the older model (2011) Mantra in a 177. Seemed a little short at times in the fluff.

Thx Phil...I know it's a personal preference thing.

DT
There is your answer...185.

Downtown

Putting on skis
Skier
SOLD!

What a ski. I was surprised how much I liked it. Not as strong on the hard stuff as the Bonafide, but still quick edge to edge and the improved playfulness and strength in the fluff, mash potatoes, etc sealed the deal.

The 185 was perfect length as well. Thank you!

Already bought them. Called the store from the Tram after two runs and made the plunge.

One question - any reason I need to speed anothe $100 on a beefier marker Griffen that dials up to 16 din? It has more metal and just thought I may want a little more meat.

My Patron has the Griffon w/the 11/12 din. More plastic.

I set them at 10 generally.

Thx again. Woo hop, what a ski!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
4frnt renegade best weird 3d snow ski made to this day.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
4frnt renegade best weird 3d snow ski made to this day.
After Mantra-ing my way through weird 3-D snow for a couple of days last week I'm looking for something that is good at that.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nordica Fire Arrow 80 Pro. Clown puke graphics and all. Don't care. This ski has amazing range, provided you are comfortable with super-carvy ski in the off-piste.

Nordy Hell and Back Hell and Back. How can a ski this light be this powerful? And talk about quick and nimble in the trees, and rips the crap out of groomers (at least for a 100).

Nordy Patron. I did not expect to love this ski, but the price was right, and the tiny shop needed all the help it could get at the end of a LOUSY season. It's so fun. And so easy. But still has all the power I personally need on a day that calls for a 113 ski. And, surprisingly to me, once you tilt it up on edge, it carves.

I just flat out love a carvy feeling. No brand I've experienced carries this through the whole spectrum of widths like Nordica (though Head may very well).

So today, I ordered a Fischer Motive 95ti. What the heck?! $300 for a ski that I'll abuse anywhere, and that is beloved by several on this forum who have opinions that I greatly respect.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
SOLD!

What a ski. I was surprised how much I liked it. Not as strong on the hard stuff as the Bonafide, but still quick edge to edge and the improved playfulness and strength in the fluff, mash potatoes, etc sealed the deal.

The 185 was perfect length as well. Thank you!

Already bought them. Called the store from the Tram after two runs and made the plunge.

One question - any reason I need to speed anothe $100 on a beefier marker Griffen that dials up to 16 din? It has more metal and just thought I may want a little more meat.

My Patron has the Griffon w/the 11/12 din. More plastic.

I set them at 10 generally.

Thx again. Woo hop, what a ski!
Salomon STH2 13
Look pivot 12
Tyrolia Attack 13

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Love my Nordica Patrons! Surprised how much I dig them. Just a really fun ski.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
The original Bonafides.

ON3P Billy Goat - so much hype made me somewhat skeptical, now I'm adding to the hype. They're that good.

This right here. I'm jumping in to a more jib oriented option right now. But I'm terrified I will be missing my BG's. Having been on multiple generations for the ski, the current offering is just too good. It's definitely a flagship ski for the brand. Watch out for some copying of the design in the future.

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
Another I would like to add to the list is the Apostle made by Rocky Mountain Underground. This ski actually reminds me of the QLab quite a bit. One thing that the Apostle really has going for it is the 5-point tip and tail design. Although it looks like a burly powder ski from a distance, the unique 5-point design makes the Apostle handle hardpack and even ice with the greatest of ease. Turn initiation is effortless with this ski. I'm not surprised that the Apostle has received numerous industry awards since its introduction to the RMU lineup.

All of this and more. Been at Breckenridge for three days now. I left the volkl aura's at home because they need to be replaced and can't fly home with an extra pair of skis. Day one I skied the enforcer in a 177 (I'm 5'8" and around 165lb), conditions are firm and bumped up off the groomers, and there is some nice chalky snow off the t bar and peak 6. Short version is that they are great skis but just a bit too heavy and damp for me, especially in the bumps and trees. So yesterday I demoed the 175 apostle and they were everything that @dean_spirito said and more. They have a great light and lively feel, are really responsive especially in tight spots, and no hint of wet noodles in sight. They did great on the hard packed groomers, but on the groomers they do have a lower speed limit than the enforcer.

Sadly, rmu had sold out of the apostle in a 175, but being the brilliant blokes that they are they had the 2017 version in stock, which I promptly purchased. The rmu guys mounted it last night and I picked them up this morning. The differences for the 2017 model are the graphics (I'll try and post pics tomorrow) and they are slightly stiffer. After another day on them today I like them even more.

Sponsor

Staff online