• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While I was on the lift today I was thinking about thread ideas and this came up. What skis have you been on that either have lived up to their hype and made you think, Day-um, these really are THAT good.

Enforcer, skied it today and my lust for it has carried over from last season.
Monster 88, solid and possibly the reference ski for frontside biased 88's
Nordica NRGy108, the best of both the Vagabond and El Capo
Head Rally, best of the Supoershape series for versatility without loosing what you expect from a hard snow ski.
Kastle MX, any of them. Timeless skis.

What are some of your skis that just stand out and and make you just :hail:.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Kastle FX95 HP -- I hold Kastle to a higher standard. This ski raises the bar for me. Responsive, fast, precise, multiple turn shapes and smooth all over the mountain. You pay a premium for a reason.

New Bonafide -- Lots of hype about the carbon tips and tails. I do feel a very slight difference when skiing them in their turn initiation and ride quality compared with my old Bones. I look forward to putting about 40 days on my 2016s this season. As good as the old Bones were, these are better.

Last edited:

snofun3

Putting on skis
Skier
I've been a Kastle guy for a long time, and the MX88 and MX108 are still in 2 of my quivers after 3-4 season - world record.

For sure the Nordica Patron has to get recognition too. Can do just about everything and make you smile while doing it

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been a Kastle guy for a long time, and the MX88 and MX108 are still in 2 of my quivers after 3-4 season - world record.

For sure the Nordica Patron has to get recognition too. Can do just about everything and make you smile while doing it
I was up at Northstar today and talked to an instructor that just picked up a pair of MX88's based on my reviews and he was amazed with the smoothness and that he could feel the difference in quality compared to other skis he has tried.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
180cm Head i.Speed. For me, the best of the breed in GS cheaters. I've skied them all. I can bend it, it's got some pop, and it's damp and stable. My go-to at Sugarloaf, my home hill, until it's late in the season and the sun is out….unless there's some fresh snow. Things there tend to be quite firm, particularly early season afternoons. I bought my first pair from SS, and added a newer pair last season.

I may also be in the minority, but I really also enjoy the 187cm Bonafide. I liked the old ski, and liked my one day on the new one enough to buy a pair. I've owned both the Brahma, and the Cochise, and haven't felt the same. Bonafide is my daily driver in the Rockies. Swiss Army knife for me.

My new ski this season will be either a monster 83, or an 88…..184cm. Have only skied the 88 in a 177cm, but was impressed enough. My kind of ski. I need to get on the 83 ASAP to make a choice. Any intel out there?

I've been thinning out the herd to fund the new ones. More thinning about to happen.

If Kastle made the MX-88 in different lengths, I'd be all over a pair. I feel like I need a 184cm….which they obviously don't make!

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another ski that blew up my skirt was the Blizzard Latigo. I demoed them a couple years ago at SIA on the recommendation of @Philpug. I didn't have high expectations but after the first few turns I had a special feeling about the ski. Once I got into the bumps that special feeling moved below my waist.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another ski that blew up my skirt was the Blizzard Latigo. I demoed them a couple years ago at SIA on the recommendation of @Philpug. I didn't have high expectations but after the first few turns I had a special feeling about the ski. Once I got into the bumps that special feeling moved below my waist.

It out Brahmas the Brahma. :beercheer:

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Happily, there is quite a list nowadays...

-most 165cm WC SL skis: the response they give to our inputs are without equal.
-Head Rally: if the SL is too savage for you, this is your alternative.
-Blizz Latigo: if the Rally is too savage for you, or you need it to do more things, Blizz made the Latigo for you.
-Monster 88/MX88/SR88: if you can't decide, throw a dart at 'em; the MX is the one that commands respect, the other two make you a hero.
-Fischer Motive 95/Stormrider 95: both are a sublime combo of on/off piste prowess, they are the skis most of us should be on.
-Enforcer/2016 Bonafide/RMU SCRM/E100: they are the cream of the ~100 class.
-Qlab/SR107: they are the cream of the 1 oh something class.

I wrestled with the FX95; in the end, it is a magnificent 'focused narrowish off piste tool', but it lacks the wide spectrum coverage of the Motive/SR...

I kid you not, all of these skis give me the fizz.

DEstrada

Booting up
Skier
At the 2014 shop demo (for 2015 product), I tested just about every 98/100 mm ski, and the Nordica NRGy 100 synced with me because they ride damp and powerful. I bought a pair last year and have not skied them due to crummy conditions. So this year, they will be my daily drivers.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
More than I expected by a long shot? Katana V-works and K2 Pinnacle 95.

Just damned good? E-98/100.

"Wow!!!"? Rossi Hero Master.

Very nice skis I'd be completely happy with? New Enforcer, Head Monsters (any of the bunch).

'Big boy game face I'd really like a pair' ride? MX98.

Ski I liked enough for what it does to order a fresh pair? Head Titan.

Ben

Aka Effortless
Skier
Salomon X-race 170
I'm NOT a fan of Salomon for absolutely no reason what's so ever!!!! I guess I don't like the fact they are mass produced and French!
I usually hate the top sheets and would never wish to test a Salomon above...... Just about any other brand!
HOWEVER I was persuaded to test the Xrace in 170 by the guy who owns our local ski shop and was utterly blown away! Having ripped the hard pack all morning leaving huge trenches all over the place in short and long turn radius curves I returned to the shop and asked for his best price. My relationship with them grew ever stronger - even in the slush at the end of the season I was out performing, out charging friends on fatter all mountain skis. I know that the first day of this season my hand will reach out for my set of Salomon X - race skis with their hideous top sheet graphics.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Kastle almost anything. kastle is my reference ski They just feel good on your feet. The MX83 and 88, fx84,fx94. I am fearful of getting on the bmx105 as I am pretty sure I'll want a pair.

Nordica; The new enforcer is excellent as is the patron. I stil think l tthe Hell and Back was a great ski as is the soul Rider. (the crazed Mexican tops were my favorite). The enforcer was one of those skis I instantly felt connected to from the first push off skating to the lift.

Head super shapes were/are fantastic ski as is the rally. I will get on the new 88. I bought a pair of head RD sl's from @ScotsSkier and will be on those shortly. Need to buy more wheaties.

Icelandic nomads. Fun.

Praxis protest are unboudtedly one of the most fun powder skis I have ever clicked onto

Salomon. The q105 and qlab are fantastic skis. I would like to get back on the qlab since my knee and hip are much improved.

Fisher motive 95 is a superb ski. In some Aspects better than the fx94 More race DNA but has some magic in the shovels in the bumps. Could be the best value available with the overstock sales from last season. Get the 180.

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yet another vote for Kastle MX series. I was moved by enough praise by others to buy a pair of MX78's un-demoed at a price I would normally NEVER consider (the last four skis I bought before this were used and averaged$300 with bindings). The first day, I was not sure: yes they were nice, but really...? By day two, I was absolutely in love. I've been on skis that exceeded my performance abilities before, but I've never been on a ski that did so much so easily and seemed so manageable yet held out the promise of acres of untapped ability.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Head Great Joy. Yesterday only reminded me just how much I love them. I can rip a sweeping huge arc and then change to a quick slalom turn on a dime and even have a blast in powder. I just dropped them for a tune and even though I completely trust my shop it makes me nervous to not have them in my garage for the week.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Head Great Joy. Yesterday only reminded me just how much I love them. I can rip a sweeping huge arc and then change to a quick slalom turn on a dime and even have a blast in powder. I just dropped them for a tune and even though I completely trust my shop it makes me nervous to not have them in my garage for the week.

you do ski them beautifully! :daffy:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can see myself picking up another pair of Enforcers...185 this time..and no, I will not be parting with the 177 Proto's.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kastle FX84 and FX 104 - steady but playful.

Bizzard Bonafides - just a fun ski.

Sponsor

Staff online