• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Yaktrax Skitrax returned

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
I just returned a set of YakTrax Skitrax. I would avoid buying online. You need to see how thick and bulky they are before making the decision to buy. To me they were too bulky to store in your jacket. Leaving them at the lodge with your bag is certainly an option, but not if you spend a good part of your day at a second or even third mini lodge on the mountain. Ideal for booting up at your car... yes. I would have kept them but the online sizing chart said my US size 11 boot would surprisingly need a medium??? The rubber is heavy and there was no way they were going to stretch to fit on the soles of my 334mm boot. I had read soaking in very hot water would allow you to stretch them. But doing that made me worry the narrow heel to toe connector strap might be weakened? For some they may be a perfect fit. I can certainly see their usefulness. But I would advise buying them in person, maybe even with a boot in hand to try the fit. In the meantime I am considering a simple velcro strap wrap over the boot to give some in lodge slip protection. Or who knows maybe a pair of the reusable real estate 'booties' with soles.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't see anywhere where it says what size my SkiTrax are ... but it sounds like you simply have the wrong size. I love mine... they take just a little effort to get on and off. Suggestions like having to heat them in hot water seem just silly to me - they make various sizes for a reason.

As far as storing them, I either stow them in my backpack, or leave them in the lodge, or hanging on a ski rack. (I've done that a few times, and never had them stolen.) I use them often, but not all of the time, if I'm not going to be walking much before being on snow.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t use these ever since I went to GripWalk soles, but when I did, one of the better tips I received was to just tuck them inside the pant cuff between the gaiter and the boot when not wearing them. No need to worry about leaving them at the lodge and no need to get mud and other crap from the ground in your pockets or back pack.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
They are fat because they add a rockered curve to the bottom of your boots for walking.. I don't carry them around when they're not on the boots. I leave them hanging off my ski lock cable on the rack at the base lodge. Put them back on the boots when heading back to the car.

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a pair of Yaktrax. Since I wear 30.5 boots I just ordered their largest available and they're - what? - too big. But never mind that, they're way too bulky for a ski jacket pocket. Unfortunately I threw away the packaging and now I'm stuck with them until I give up and throw them away or find someone with boots even larger than mine to give them to. I replaced them with Cat Tracks. I followed the directions for heating them to fit and now they go on and off just fine and tuck neatly under the snow gaiters of my ski pants when I take them off. Cat Tracks for the easy win.

Sponsor