• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

XC-skiing 2018-2019

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First XC of the season Nov. 16th. Earliest day of any new ski season I've ever been out XC skiing.

upload_2018-11-16_16-11-47.png

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good for you! Almost went out myself, but snowblower issues left me little daylight.
Nice skis for the conditions, eh?

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Every year I contemplate picking up the sport. Then I remember that I don't like climbing up hills under my own power.

The local trails got groomed and set tracks earlier this week, so everyone else in my town is totally stoked for it.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Lapland Lake XC Ski Center in Benson (northville) NY opened the 11/14! Earliest ever too..

TS
Scruffy

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm still tempted to put a Spike 3-pin on a pair of those.

They're nice for yoyo-ing wooded hills and mountain foothills. I've skied some steep stuff through the trees with these when the conditions are right. I'm hoping this year will be one of those years locally for me that I can hit some of those glades. If the precep that we've received all summer and autumn keeps up through the winter it should be good.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You don't like headlamp skiing? Not a criticism, just asking.
Actually, I ski a lot with a headlamp...or even w/o if there's enough moon. But in truth, I was just going to go for the sunset; we had a bit of rain and freeze, so the conditions themselves weren't the attraction.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Actually, I ski a lot with a headlamp...or even w/o if there's enough moon. But in truth, I was just going to go for the sunset; we had a bit of rain and freeze, so the conditions themselves weren't the attraction.
Ditto and I ended up missing out on it too because of the rising temps / freezing rain to rain:(
Seems it can never stay cold long enough to enjoy what snow we get here in the eastern mid-Atlantic (Philadelphia area). Local news meteorologist said records show this storm delivered the greatest amount of measurable snow seen in our viewing area this early in the seasom.

Last edited:

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
I should be out there right now, (with my headlamp). There certainly is enough snow here in the Poconos. But I'm still a little bushed from all the shoveling yesterday, but tomorrow I'll be out. It'l soft and melted but still plenty of snow for grassy trails.

Wooley12

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm happy to see you in the North East getting the goods early. Looks like it will hold. We're keeping our fingers crossed here in the PNW but even a bad year is good. BC XC has been my favorite way to use skis since I posed for my avatar. With luck, this thread may stay free of the MAMILs, Middle Aged Men In Lycra.ogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online