• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
https://www.birkie.com/ this week/weekend. Have friend that decided to be in it. Started XC skiing a few months ago. :)

I have thought about doing XC again, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The Birkie has a similar corner. Bobblehead hill. No patrol but local slednecks will ride in and sit at the bottom on their machines, and hold up score cards for the best crashes:cool:

The Stowe crowd isn't so bad as to hold up score cards... although there is inevitably a crowd at Carnage Corner.

Holding up score cards. I don't know if that's :roflmao:or :eek:. So much for Minnesota Nice!

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Late lesson today, so no XC. Gonna bring my stuff tomorrow and see if I get lucky (or unlucky?).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing that long-time alpine skiers bring to skate skiing is an amazing sense of glide, which REALLY matters.

I've seen some amazing bike racing "engines" really flail at skating because they have no sense of glide.

It's really, really fun to watch. And I mean that in the nastiest "yes, there's still some bike racer left in me" way. :ogbiggrin:

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I realized while skating today on alpine that maybe all of the freedom of the XC setup was tempting me into taking too big steps.

scott43

Skier
Heh..unlocking the hips..pardon the age..but this is a drill (backwards chop) I used to do when I was learning way back in the day. Love the Newf accent...and the inimitable Howie Meeker..who was, by the way, an outstanding and durable hockey player in his own right. I'm amazed I could find this online..gotta love the CBC...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love the videos. Very good and simple.

Quote of the day, w/r/t skating uphill "it's not the easiest thing to do"..... :roflmao:

Best tip of the video is to try and land on the outside edge of the new gliding ski. It's damn near impossible to do, but trying will result in a lot of flat ski time. Flat skis glide, edged skis -- not so much.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I realized while skating today on alpine that maybe all of the freedom of the XC setup was tempting me into taking too big steps.

Probably. You need a model. A drill I like is to tap your free-foot ankle against the ankle on your glide foot after every push. If your steps are too big you'll still have weight on you're push foot and won't be able to do it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably. You need a model. A drill I like is to tap your free-foot ankle against the ankle on your glide foot after every push. If your steps are too big you'll still have weight on you're push foot and won't be able to do it.

A favorite of mine, also! It's SO easy to get lazy about stepping onto a truly flat ski. Four extra inches of glide on each stride matters in this sport.

It's a mind picture that may not work for others, but I also strive to get a bit of an "eggbeater" feel when 2 skating -- your legs/feet are barely missing each other, like the blades of a beater.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We do biathlon in the backyard with our kids: ski laps are Lund the house and shoot a BB gun, they love it

Must be Minnesota spell check if it accepts "Lund" for "around". :roflmao:

I grew up with a 17-foot Lund Fish and Ski. Great memories.

OK enough of this stuff, time for a fat bike ride!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If anyone in this thread needs a pair of 46 Rossi Comps give me a shout. NNN soles

IMG_20200222_121919.jpg

Sponsor