• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Wasn't sure where to post this..

Need some help for purchasing gear for my wife. She's new to XC classic but psyched to get started. I am looking for tips on what to look for in buying first set of skis and boots for her., We have both groomed and tracked backcountry trails here.

these looked like a good start in the search?
https://www.salomon.com/us/product/snowscape-7-siam-1.html?article=391751

THANKS!

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I might be able to help. Used to be a very avid xc skier (50 days a year, classic and skate) and still get on the snow for about 20 sessions a year.

Classic xc is a bit complicated, because that term covers SO much ground. More info would help. Does she want to get out and shuffle around, or learn really good classic kick and glide technique? How much of each? Does she have alpine skills? Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Initially, those skis look fine for shuffling around, and will cover super-groomed trails and light "skied in" backcountry trails. But for me, when I'm on set tracks (your golf course trails, for example) I want me some glide, and these skis will not have it.

So, I'm going to recommend you get her a ski like you linked, as well as something more glidey. I know Fischer skis, so I'd say an SCS Crown, which is one down from their silly-expensive race skis. Option 2: Get the skis in your link, and get a set of skate gear for the super-groomed stuff. Of course, I'm spending your money, because she will also need different boots and poles to go with the skate stuff.

Most importantly, IMO, you have to buy from somebody that knows what they are doing, so your wife gets the correct stiffness for her weight and ability. It is a fine, fine line in classic between enough grip and "dammit, I hardly get any glide".

Whew. If I'd had more time, I could have written a shorter letter!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
^^^ FANTASTIC ADVICE thanks. she will be taking lessons and yes, golf courses, groomed 2 mile 1K vert gain in our backyard plus open meadows and a ton of trails on the the passes. She does want to get into skate as well. We have a good shop locally of course but i wanted to have some clue of what to be aware of. Many thanks

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ @Ron, if she's taking lessons, go talk to the ski school before you buy, and ask them about ski choices. It will be invaluable, FREE, first hand advice!

And Ski Destructors love to give advice......

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Absolutely will do that. I think we can actually demo some gear too.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you are in Colorado, you can enjoy the luxury of a waxed ski. Find a pair which are not too stiff. Wax them with Swix Extra Blue. The only time that does not work in Colorado, it is either too cold, too sloppy or too icy too ski.

A bit of a exaggeration I know, especially at the lower elevation of Steamboat, but you should find many many days when the wax delivers both better grip and glide than a crown ski.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are in Colorado, you can enjoy the luxury of a waxed ski. Find a pair which are not too stiff. Wax them with Swix Extra Blue. The only time that does not work in Colorado, it is either too cold, too sloppy or too icy too ski.

A bit of a exaggeration I know, especially at the lower elevation of Steamboat, but you should find many many days when the wax delivers both better grip and glide than a crown ski.

True enough. When I lived in MN, I owned two colors of wax, and laughed at "fish scale" skis. In Oregon, waxing is like self-flagellation. I've ended up with Atomic "Skin-Tec" classic skis, which are a great compromise between crown and waxable skis.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
At the demo centre where I work we also rent out XC skis, fish scale bases are goof proof. We also rent skate skis, so all of our boots are combi boots that work for either discipline.
One thing that is critical is matching ski length (and camber) to skier weight. This is because the camber needs to be bent by the skier enough to provide grip, but not so much as to interfere with glide. So, when the skier is in the ski binding standing on a hard surface with a thin piece of cardboard placed under the ski, there should be some friction when attempting to slide the card. If you have ever adjusted the toe height of a walk to ride alpine binding like a Attack 13 demo, you will know what I am describing.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good advice so far so I won't kick in too much, except for this: I believe boots are really important. Get more substantial and supportive boots than may be sold with "beginner" packages. They don't have to fit perfectly like DH boots; instead you are looking for comfortable fit, ankle support, and torsional strength. Lots of beginners have been undone by cheap, floppy boots that don't provide enough support to control the skis. Folks can't control themselves and get disillusioned.

Personally, I always recommend combi boots even if you're primarily going to diagonal stride.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
all great advice.. I'll add there are a few type of binding systems and most are Not interchangeable..
ie: Solomons won't work on NNN

Sometimes XC centers you can demo the skis/boots (they are part of their rental fleet) to find what works
XC Skis don't have to be really long.. the camber and trick w/paper/cardboard under the foot is correct

Yes to "combi-boot" with good ankle support (and Snow won't go down into boot!)
A pair of gators are nice on powdery days. Sporthill (ex Olympian Bill Koch designed) is Superb XC ski clothing..

Peltonen used to make a waxless ski that I could 'skate' Ski short distances. For just starting out waxless are nice, wax can be very fickle.
I hope she enjoys!

Reactions: Ron

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I'm going to recommend you get her a ski like you linked, as well as something more glidey. I know Fischer skis, so I'd say an SCS Crown, which is one down from their silly-expensive race skis. Option 2: Get the skis in your link, and get a set of skate gear

You may not be able to figure this out ahead of time, @Ron, but there are skiers and there are shufflers, as Tom said. IME shufflers might as well not waste their time and money with skis, and just go directly to snowshoes. Skiers need skis, not sliding snowshoes. In short, I'd say go right for the real thing or get her snowshoes.

One way to tell if she's a shuffler is this: If she mountain bikes and you sometimes feel like taping her fingers to the grips in exasperation, so she doesn't over-brake, she's a probably a shuffler. If she hoots and hollers on the downhill sections, she's not.

Signed, tough love xc guy. :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At the demo centre where I work we also rent out XC skis, fish scale bases are goof proof. We also rent skate skis, so all of our boots are combi boots that work for either discipline.
One thing that is critical is matching ski length (and camber) to skier weight. This is because the camber needs to be bent by the skier enough to provide grip, but not so much as to interfere with glide. So, when the skier is in the ski binding standing on a hard surface with a thin piece of cardboard placed under the ski, there should be some friction when attempting to slide the card. If you have ever adjusted the toe height of a walk to ride alpine binding like a Attack 13 demo, you will know what I am describing.

Exactly! This is why buying classic xc skis online is about as reliable as buying alpine ski boots online. You HAVE to get the flex matched to the skier -- by somebody that knows what they are doing.

And apparently, I'm the outlier on this, but I have no use whatsoever for combi boots for skating. Near worthless if you're pursuing performance. What they ARE nice for is the slightly higher boot cuff, which helps keep snow out without significantly impacting classic xc performance.

Just cuz I like to ski in fresh snow and hate gators! ;)

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
shufflers might as well not waste their time and money with skis, and just go directly to snowshoes. Skiers need skis, not sliding snowshoes. In short, I'd say go right for the real thing or get her snowshoes.
. :)

You must not snowshoe much. Shuffling on skis is way more fun, easier and faster than snowshoeing, When I skin up a mountain I'm just shuffling, but I leave the people with skis on their pack in the dust. Our backcountry XC tours are often a shuffle out, and a kick and glide back. No need to disparage shuffling along on skis.

The OP was from Colorado--home of the 7th mountain infantry. They were shufflers too, but here's what they thought of snowshoes:

Sven

(To the tune of the old western "Bold Bad Man")

Oola had a cousin from the wild and wooly west.
While Oola liked the skiing, Sven liked snowshoeing the best
They got into the Mountain Troops and put it to a test,
And everywhere they went they gave their warwhoop.

CHORUS
Oh give me skis and some poles and klister
And let me ski way up on Alta Vista
You can take your snowshoes and burn them, sister
And everywhere I go I'll give my warwhoop.

Everyone was keen to see how it would all come out.
The Winter Warfare Board was standing anxiously about,
And even Axis Agents had been sent up there to scout,
And everyone was waiting for the warwhoop.

CHORUS

The Colonel pulled the trigger and they started out to race.
Sven got an early start and set a most terrific pace,
But Oola whipped right by him with a sneer upon his face
And when he reached the top he gave his warwhoop.

CHORUS

Two seconds later Oola finished in a mighty schuss,
Passing on the way poor Sven a-lying on his puss.
The moral of this story is that snowshoes have no use,
And poor old Sven no longer gives his warwhoop.

CHORUS

For thirteen long and lusty weeks we skied on Alta Vista,
And next on Colorado's peaks our asses we did blister,
And then with neither ski nor ass they landed us on Kiska.
But even way out there we gave our war whoop!

CHORUS
The 87th had a Heavy Weapons Company
It spent six weeks in Paradise but never learned to ski.
The reason for this tragedy as you can plainly see
Was everywhere they went they wore their snowshoes.

(CHORUS "Oh give them skis" etc.)

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL. Nice one!

(I have more but there are hens to roast!)

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
This stuff is pretty much the rage.
image.jpeg

Good moose defense too.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Vasa

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This stuff is pretty much the rage.
View attachment 35876
Good moose defense too.

Rescue of Prince Hakon. So cool. Just so darn cool. My dad has a perfect framed copy on the wall of his bedroom. On the back is a piece of blue tape that says "When I'm gone, this is Tom's".

As far as shuffling, I gotta agree with @newfydog. It's all good (gag). I bike so hard so much of the year, some days all I want is a mellow two hour classic shuffle in the snowy forest. Other days I'm looking to satiate the suffering demon and I reach for my skating stuff. But there is nothing inherently superior or inferior to either approach.

And, like any pugskier worthy of the name, I've got plenty of xc skis to cover every kind of track, snow, or mood!

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
The skis in your link are what my local xc shop pacos in truckee carries as their recommended basic do it all classic ski. I almost bought the men's version last year but ended up with a comperable Rossi instead. Don't think you could go wrong with that ski.

I see a lot of the ladies at TahoeXC on these Fischer inspire style. My sister rented a pair last year when she came to visit and really liked them. Probably comperable to the Solomons
https://www.the-house.com/8969fiimsws17zz-fischer-cross-country-skis.html

I have these boots from a couple years ago in men's. Comfy, pretty warm, waterproof and have a power strap that the really basic boots don't have. Wouldn't recommend going any cheaper

https://www.the-house.com/ro2x3fw0617zz-rossignol-cross-country-ski-boots.html

Hope this helps

Reactions: Ron

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And, like any pugskier worthy of the name, I've got plenty of xc skis to cover every kind of track, snow, or mood!

Yeah, i was going to say something about getting a few pairs. I counted 28 in our house, but didn't look too hard.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid