• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I think the Europe discussion was a very minor thread jack by Jersey Skier. Good question, though, IMO, from a skier from the Northeast.

Sorry if @Crank and I took it off the tracks with the BVI!

And I agree with TonyC that a direct flight and no more than 2 hours of driving tacked on really cuts down the list of potential destinations. However, flying with a 9 year old, who's full of excitement can be kind of wearing. BTDT. Years ago.

I think that @LKLA has plenty to think through!
Looks of informed suggestions!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Reading this has me thinking about how cool Christmas in the alps would be. I've been fortunate to have spent some days in huge, medium & as small as a T-bar in a farmers pasture. Arosa in Switzerland or Silvrettta Nova in Austria are 2 medium size (by euro standards), lesser known places that come to mind. I don't remember about Silvretta Nova but Arosa seemed like pretty high elevation with a postcard perfect village. We drove but the train would be the way to go. It was 17 years ago but the ski facilities were about as modern as it could get.
IMG_0042.JPG

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Makes sense to me that Europe would be crowded between Christmas and New Year's, much like North America. Just out of curiousity, does anyone have any insight on whether skiing in a non-Christian-majority country is calmer during that particular week? For New York-based skiers, nonstop flights to Tokyo, Beijing, Seoul, Tashkent, Baku, and Tel Aviv would seem to open up alternatives--although I also don't know how reliable those destinations are in the early season or how long the transit time is between airports and ski areas.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
While places like Vail came to mind, I am afraid that it will be a zoo during that time.

It is. Beaver Creek is a much better choice if you are in the area. Much more mellow (still crowded but not bad)

Telluride is pretty chill since its well away from the front range crowds but also doubt there is a direct flight.

Aspen is a great recommendation, specially Snowmass, its definitely quite relaxed.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Do NOT come to ski Japan over xmas!
1. Coverage even in Niseko can be quite thin; many places are just partly open
2. It's one of the more crowded times of the year; Japanese, especially the young, are "into" xmas bigtime
3. It's very expensive

Ditto for new year's, and the first monday in january (after Jan 1~3) is adult's day, a mega-holiday at ski areas
Other good times to avoid are (Hokkaido) during the Sapporo Snow Festival in early february, and now Chinese New Year

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Makes sense to me that Europe would be crowded between Christmas and New Year's, much like North America. Just out of curiousity, does anyone have any insight on whether skiing in a non-Christian-majority country is calmer during that particular week? For New York-based skiers, nonstop flights to Tokyo, Beijing, Seoul, Tashkent, Baku, and Tel Aviv would seem to open up alternatives--although I also don't know how reliable those destinations are in the early season or how long the transit time is between airports and ski areas.

You left out Iran and DPRK. :roflmao:

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Our two priorities are few crowds and direct flight from NYC / no more than 1-2 hour drive from local airport. Decent conditions/terrain would be nice as well :).

Aspen/Snowmass definitely is going to rank high on (relatively) few crowds and decent conditions/terrain. I doubt you can get a direct flight into ASE, but if you don't mind a short stop in ORD or DIA, there are plenty of flights.

Another resort which has not been mentioned which I would recommend for great snow conditions and low crowds at that time is Grand Targhee. However, it might not be easy to get to. It is one of my favorite places to recommend especially for a family trip with young children. My kids still consider this to be one of their favorite places as it has an exceptional kids' area (Shoshone lift). Doesn't hurt that you can combine it with a little place called Jackson Hole (which will definitely be crowded during that week).

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
When it comes to skiing I am extremely crowd adverse so it is no surprise that Aspen is my favourite US ski resort due to lack of crowds even on a powder Saturday when it is the first storm in weeks. Previous posters have already question the chance of direct flights from NYC.

Lack of crowds is also one of the reasons that Sun Peaks is my favourite resort in Canada. However if you want a direct flight to Kamloops (45 minutes from SP), you have to already be living in Calgary, Kelowna, or Vancouver.

Sibhusky earlier posted 8600+ skiers for the most crowded day ever at Whitefish's 3000acres; compare that to Sun Peaks where last season they broke the 6300+ skier single day visitor record (I don't know by how much) on 4270acres. SP has 3 high speed quad chairs, 2 regular speed chairs, 1 slow speed quad, 2 platters a t bar and some magic carpets. Whitefish almost certainly has more lifts.

Big Sky is another low crowd resort but unlikely any direct flights from NYC to Bozeman.

Same goes for previously mentioned Schweitzer and Whitefish.

See a trend developing? Relatively low crowds and direct flights tend to be mutually exclusive. So realistically the OP should consider dropping one of either the low crowds or direct flight from the criteria list.

Another consideration to maximize ski time is eliminating any chance of feeling the affects of altitude by going to low elevation resorts like Whitefish, Schweitzer, and anywhere in Canada.

Going to Canada will require passports, US dollar is at a big premium these days with a $95Cdn lift ticket (cheaper if bought on line) is about $70US.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Another resort which has not been mentioned which I would recommend for great snow conditions and low crowds at that time is Grand Targhee.
Targhee is the only North American ski resort with a 100% perfect track record for snow at Christmas, That includes the widespread western worst case scenarios in 1976-77, 1980-81 and 2011-12. Targhee's 160,000 skier visits are also surprisingly low for a 2,000 acre ski area with that snow record. I'll defer to locals as to how much Christmas is an exception to Targhee's usual low key status. Wolf Creek has a similar profile but still gets slammed at Christmas and Texas spring break.
See a trend developing? Relatively low crowds and direct flights tend to be mutually exclusive. So realistically the OP should consider dropping one of either the low crowds or direct flight from the criteria list.
Exactly. Easy accessibility contributes to more crowding.
However, flying with a 9 year old, who's full of excitement can be kind of wearing.
Making a kid wait in lines for lifts and food for a whole week is no picnic either. I'd rather take my chances on the flight connection and go someplace more off the beaten track.

Aspen is my favourite US ski resort due to lack of crowds even on a powder Saturday when it is the first storm in weeks. Previous posters have already question the chance of direct flights from NYC.
It is a demonstrated fact that ASE has more direct flights than any other non-metro area ski resort in North America. It's thus surprising that I don't find any from New York.

Last edited:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
For the OP. There actually are direct flights from Newark to Bozeman, but only one or two per day. No direct flights to Aspen, but you can get them to Vail and do the two hour drive to Aspen from there. No big deal. Did it going with a sick 7 year old and returned with a wife in two full leg braces. (But that is another story).

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ha @Jersey Skier I did that drive with a sick 6 and 8 year old in March. Maybe time for a disasterous ski trip thread ...

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
United has direct flights to Yampa Valley airport from Newark. I don't know how busy Steamboat gets during Xmas, but I believe @TonyC has noted they tend to get decent coverage for the early season.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
You left out Iran and DPRK. :roflmao:
Do they have flights from NYC? I thought I read recently that Iran had just re-banned US planes from their airspace.

FWIW, I also left out Casablanca, because I remember reading about how the ski area there only opens occasionally after a big snowstorm; and also Turkey and India because I think the airports with US service are pretty far from the skiing. But for someone who wants to go on an adventure, there are plenty of opportunities :cool:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have skied Grand Targhee the past 4 Xmas vacations.(Dec. 26th-30th) and currently planning it for this winter as well. Have a friend whose son works there...

We keep going back b/c of great conditions all over the mountain and little to no lift lines....Amazing for such an awesome place. Most days we lapped Blackfoot and Sac lifts with no line what so ever.

During those trips we also skied JH a day or 2.....I love JH, but of course it was more crowded than GT.....so we tend to stay at GT more days b/c it is much less crowded. Plus we stayed in Driggs....on the road up to GT.

Last edited:

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Yes Steamboat's early season snow record is excellent; it and Wolf Creek are the best in Colorado. By reputation it's busy at Chritmas, but probably not as bad as Vail and Summit County.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We took a last minute trip to Salt Lake City 2 seasons ago. Skied Solitude , Pow Mow, Alta/Bird Great conditions, not particularly crowded at all ski areas, cheap hotel rates in Sandy. Waited until last minute to book and went there because the had a major storm. Flights were easy departing on Christmas day and returning New Years Eve.
I did the same last year. Bought a ski city pass and hit all the LCC/BCC resorts. My first Utah trip. Not overly crowded and shockingly good deals on flights and lodging. Fun time. Went back in April.

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
Great thread with recommendations for Big sky, Aspen, Targhee, Schweitzer as the take away. I was researching lodging and looks like Schweitzer comes out ahead because of hotels in Sandpoint. The Westin in Aspen can also be booked on points. Staying in Driggs with VRBO is affordable as well.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
One of the biggest concerns at just about any resort at Xmas time is finding lodging if you wait too long to book.

At Sun Peaks during the Xmas holidays the runs won't be crowded and the lift lines will be manageable but the resort will be 100% booked or close too it. Next closest accommodation will be 45min to an hour away in Kamloops. I would guess other resorts will be similar.

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
One of the biggest concerns at just about any resort at Xmas time is finding lodging if you wait too long to book.

At Sun Peaks during the Xmas holidays the runs won't be crowded and the lift lines will be manageable but the resort will be 100% booked or close too it. Next closest accommodation will be 45min to an hour away in Kamloops. I would guess other resorts will be similar.

yes. for this reason flying to SLC is a good option. You may be considering a trip to Montana/Wyoming to avoid the crowds. But if the snow is not good in those places, just stay in Utah. Cheap lodging can be found last minute and ski the less crowded places like Pow Mow, Brighton, Solitude.

Also TonyC would not approve planning a trip with monthly low snow likelihood of > 10%. Targhee, Cottonwood resorts and only a couple of other places fall into that category.

Sponsor

Staff online