• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would welcome recommendations for a family ski trip (two adults and a nine year old) over the x-mas break (Dec. 25 - Jan. 1)?

Our two priorities are few crowds and direct flight from NYC / no more than 1-2 hour drive from local airport. Decent conditions/terrain would be nice as well :).

While places like Vail came to mind, I am afraid that it will be a zoo during that time. I am also not sure what conditions tend to be like at that time of the season (on the early side). Perhaps places in UT or WY tend to have better conditions then places in CO or MT. Not sure.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If Bozeman has direct flights, Big Sky.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen/Snowmass. While it is "busy", the Aspen/Snowmass crowds are tame compared to Vail etc. There is plenty of great ski/in ski out or close lodging at Snowmass. Children's ski school is fabulous and many other things to do other than skiing.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
X-mas and few crowds are mutually exclusive. Sorry.

Even out of the way resorts with good early conditions like Wolf Creek will be packed with folks from Texas.

Maybe just accept that it will be a zoo and go where you want. Vail may be expensive and a zoo, but they will do up Christmas right and it will be a memorable and sweet holiday anyhow.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Concur with Nancy H. I was at Aspen for Christmas week three or four years ago. The Ajax gondola was walk-on for most of the day. It won't be cheap, but it’s likely to be good to very good and the town is one of the best in ski country. This is an article about a February 2016 visit to the Aspen area: http://www.dcski.com/articles/1495

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Schweitzer or Whitefish.

Sun Peaks if you're willing and able to go to Canada.

I haven't been to Whitefish, but Schweitzer and Sun Peaks are both much cheaper than other destinations I have been to, and the skiing experience has been as good, if not superior to other destinations. The coverage is usually good for Xmas. And while the locals are talking about how crowded it is, you will be wondering where they all are.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
The upload_2017-9-6_9-25-52.gif season has begun.
This is generally true. So the first suggestion is choose another week. Presumably the 9-year-old's school schedule is driving this. Anyone in this situation needs to ask the following questions:
1) Does this kid have a spring break week? If so, the cost/crowd factors are much less than at Christmas and at most resorts more terrain will be open. http://bestsnow.net/fam_ski.htm
2) In the Northeast many schools get President's Week off. This is during the sweet spot for snow conditions at most western resorts and still less busy/expensive than Christmas.
3) Most kids get 2 weeks at Christmas, not one. To the extent you can use the earlier or later part of that break, do it. Dec. 26-31 is absolutely the worst time. I'll also mention that it's not the end of the world for a 9 year old if you push those dates a little and he misses a few days of school. You won't have that option when he's older and if you all like to ski this will be a recurring problem.
4) Only if the above options are unavailable, or if you are addicts and skiing every vacation period your kid has, should you consider the "Zoo Week" of Dec. 26-31.

Of the suggestions here, I can make positive comments about two. In Salt Lake you can avoid resort area price gouging for lodging. You also have an excellent early season snow record in the 4 Cottonwood Canyon resorts. If snowfall is above average, you can ski some of the less busy places like Powder Mt. and Sundance.

I have not skied Aspen/Snowmass during the peak but I did ski it from Jan. 1-8 in 2014. I have to agree Aspen is crowd proof in terms of on-mountain congestion. It's also the best remote (in terms of distance from a big day/weekend ski population) ski resort for direct flights from many cities. Aspen won't be cheap, but it's a good place to be when other places are a madhouse. And if you're truly price sensitive you should not be skiing Dec. 26-31 at a destination ski resort. Aspen's snowfall is not huge, but the lower skier density helps with surfaces and it averages 88% open at New Year's though steeper terrain may be sketchy.

I'm not a fan of Big Sky in this time frame. It's the coldest ski resort in the western US and with gradual snow accumulation much of its expert terrain is unlikely to be adequately covered.

Other suggestions here like Schweitzer and Whitefish are constructive, but you may not get there on a direct flight. My view is that it's better to suck it up with the hassles of connecting flights in order to avoid the worst of holiday crowds once you get there.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-6_9-26-24.gif
    upload_2017-9-6_9-26-24.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier

Even out of the way resorts with good early conditions like Wolf Creek will be packed with folks from Texas.

Maybe just accept that it will be a zoo and go where you want. Vail may be expensive and a zoo, but they will do up Christmas right and it will be a memorable and sweet holiday anyhow.

Appreciate the insight - could not have been more helpful ;)

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Schweitzer or Whitefish.

Sun Peaks if you're willing and able to go to Canada.

I haven't been to Whitefish, but Schweitzer and Sun Peaks are both much cheaper than other destinations I have been to, and the skiing experience has been as good, if not superior to other destinations. The coverage is usually good for Xmas. And while the locals are talking about how crowded it is, you will be wondering where they all are.

Speaking personally, it's my week to get things done. I schedule my dentist, etc. during Christmas, as do many others. Most of the locals are skiing short days or are there because their relatives flew in. And of course a ton of snow shows up just in time for these hordes and it'll be all trashed to bits by the time they leave. Glad you sent them to Schweitzer. Maybe I'll ski the 26th.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

This is why I liked @KingGrump 's post instantly. The first thing I thought is that DV limits the number of skiers. So, I would not think it will be a zoo. You just wanna make sure your get your tickets before getting your lodging. Also, their runs are very well designed, so you ski top to bottom.

Good point by @TonyC that , of the two break weeks, the second one tends to be much worse for skiing, in my limited life as a skier (3 seasons).

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I suspect that we can all agree that it's not the ideal time to travel for a ski vacation, but family, school and work schedules all dictate the plan. And, truth be told, it is most often still an awful lot of fun! Not optimal? Sure. Taking some chance on the amount of snow? To some degree, sure. And paying the top dollar prices for ANY destination resort? Yes.

My recommendation would be to think about the type of vacation that you want, and I assume that consideration to the budget {if any} comes into play. I'm guessing that this may not be a "budget" trip, but then again, very few of us like to throw money away.

One of the considerations was no more than a 1-2 hour drive from the nearest airport to the destination. I have the two usual "suspects" on my recommended list. One is Aspen. I have had family in Aspen for a long time, and it's the least crowded iconic ski town/areas in the country. Even during one of the busiest weeks of the year, crowds will still be manageable. Skiing will be good. Not as good as early March, but very good. Everywhere you go, and everything you do {for the most part....you can get some local knowledge if you like} will be expensive.

You can fly right into Aspen, but you'll want to get on that now to lock up fares, or to see if you can use miles. Otherwise, you need to drive up from DIA {or be driven, again thinking budget/no budget} and that's more than two hours.

Deer Valley is logistically easy. Fly direct to SLC, and it's inside your timeline to the door. The limited ticket sales will make DV less busy than some of the other areas, and during this week, that could be a huge factor. In taking the liberty of guessing that this may not be a budget trip, I think that Deer Valley fits, and yes, you can visit some other areas nearby if you want to. Or you can just have a very relaxing experience at DV.

I'd personally limit it to those two. We can open it up form there, but you're taking chances with snow, and potentially with crowds. One other potential for me would be Sun Valley. They might be lean on natural snow, but they make a TON of snow, and they buff the majority of the place. If one likes to cruise fast on groomers of any kind of steepness, it's tremendous. And the town is just a classic.

I have been skiing my whole life, and we have never travelled over the holiday, other than to be with family at their ski homes. When we are home, we ski early and stop when the crowds get big {unless the skiing is phenomenal, which it rarely is....}. Then maybe snowshoe, or watch a movie. Take the dogs on longer walks, etc. The ski experience is often not that great. Over the last five seasons, I have been in Aspen, Steamboat and Vail over that week. Aspen, by far, would be my pick.

Another thing to keeping mind, in terms of crowds is that 12/23-12/26 tend to be the lightest, everywhere. Then each day tends to get incrementally busier, with New Year's Eve being the busiest. Then things tend to get less busy, depending on how the calendar falls. 1/1 is a Monday this year. Probably will be a travel day for most.

My vote is Aspen with DV a very close #2. There are also destinations with minimal crowds that others have mentioned. Just don't know how the OP and family would view them as a destination trip.

Good luck......Good "problem" to have!

Couple of options in the East, but I don't think that are under consideration. Not sure if I'd pick Jay at Christmas.
And my go-to's are a risk for a number of reasons. Crowds, snow, etc.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We took a last minute trip to Salt Lake City 2 seasons ago. Skied Solitude , Pow Mow, Alta/Bird Great conditions, not particularly crowded at all ski areas, cheap hotel rates in Sandy. Waited until last minute to book and went there because the had a major storm. Flights were easy departing on Christmas day and returning New Years Eve.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I suspect that we can all agree that it's not the ideal time to travel for a ski vacation, but family, school and work schedules all dictate the plan. And, truth be told, it is most often still an awful lot of fun! Not optimal? Sure. Taking some chance on the amount of snow? To some degree, sure. And paying the top dollar prices for ANY destination resort? Yes.

My recommendation would be to think about the type of vacation that you want, and I assume that consideration to the budget {if any} comes into play. I'm guessing that this may not be a "budget" trip, but then again, very few of us like to throw money away.

One of the considerations was no more than a 1-2 hour drive from the nearest airport to the destination. I have the two usual "suspects" on my recommended list. One is Aspen. I have had family in Aspen for a long time, and it's the least crowded iconic ski town/areas in the country. Even during one of the busiest weeks of the year, crowds will still be manageable. Skiing will be good. Not as good as early March, but very good. Everywhere you go, and everything you do {for the most part....you can get some local knowledge if you like} will be expensive.

You can fly right into Aspen, but you'll want to get on that now to lock up fares, or to see if you can use miles. Otherwise, you need to drive up from DIA {or be driven, again thinking budget/no budget} and that's more than two hours.

Deer Valley is logistically easy. Fly direct to SLC, and it's inside your timeline to the door. The limited ticket sales will make DV less busy than some of the other areas, and during this week, that could be a huge factor. In taking the liberty of guessing that this may not be a budget trip, I think that Deer Valley fits, and yes, you can visit some other areas nearby if you want to. Or you can just have a very relaxing experience at DV.

I'd personally limit it to those two. We can open it up form there, but you're taking chances with snow, and potentially with crowds. One other potential for me would be Sun Valley. They might be lean on natural snow, but they make a TON of snow, and they buff the majority of the place. If one likes to cruise fast on groomers of any kind of steepness, it's tremendous. And the town is just a classic.

I have been skiing my whole life, and we have never travelled over the holiday, other than to be with family at their ski homes. When we are home, we ski early and stop when the crowds get big {unless the skiing is phenomenal, which it rarely is....}. Then maybe snowshoe, or watch a movie. Take the dogs on longer walks, etc. The ski experience is often not that great. Over the last five seasons, I have been in Aspen, Steamboat and Vail over that week. Aspen, by far, would be my pick.

Another thing to keeping mind, in terms of crowds is that 12/23-12/26 tend to be the lightest, everywhere. Then each day tends to get incrementally busier, with New Year's Eve being the busiest. Then things tend to get less busy, depending on how the calendar falls. 1/1 is a Monday this year. Probably will be a travel day for most.

My vote is Aspen with DV a very close #2. There are also destinations with minimal crowds that others have mentioned. Just don't know how the OP and family would view them as a destination trip.

Good luck......Good "problem" to have!

Couple of options in the East, but I don't think that are under consideration. Not sure if I'd pick Jay at Christmas.
And my go-to's are a risk for a number of reasons. Crowds, snow, etc.

Thanks, much appreciated. Aspen and DV sound like great options.

We don't have a budget per se but we do not have an unlimited budget either and things can indeed quickly add up during that time of the year.

What are your thoughts on East coast options?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Thanks, much appreciated. Aspen and DV sound like great options.

We don't have a budget per se but we do not have an unlimited budget either and things can indeed quickly add up during that time of the year.

What are your thoughts on East coast options?

If you get on it soon, I think you can do either of Aspen or DV for a reasonable, but not value price.

When I think of New England options, I get a bit scared as the crowds can get HUGE, and appear even bigger if it's a lean snow year. If a big area has a lot of closed terrain and also has their biggest numbers of the year, it gets crowded...fast.

I grew up in a Stowe family. Very few people don't like Stowe. But that week...wow. And I am nervous about the potential for huge crowds.

Like Stowe, the Mad River Valley has a lot to check out if you decide not to ski. I would consider Sugarbush, for sure. I'm curious about crowds this season. And you could take a day off and head to Burlington, too.

I would not head to Killington that week. Depending on what interests you, and on Joe the snow looks, I bet you would like the Manchester area....Stratton, Bromley.

I think I'd pass on NH. Then again The Mt. Washington Hotel is pretty neat. North Conway will be nuts. Most of NH I'd day trip distance from the Boston area. Mega crowds that week.

People think Maine is the last frontier. It's not. Sugarloaf is less than four hours from Boston. Sunday River a good half hour less. I have friends who do NYC to Sugarloaf every weekend.

Problem there? Could be lean snow. Could be very cold. Could have days when the entire mountain is on wind hold. Risk of all that is more at Sugarloaf. It also faces North, so it gets real dark early. Come to Sugarloaf in March. There are enough options for food, etc to have a lot of fun over a week.

Lake Placid is such a neat place. But Whiteface can be brutal at that time of year. Much like Sugarloaf. I think either is a spring destination. Though I and my family have skied 80+ days a season at both. My 28 year old daughter still raves about the dog sledding on the lake when she was eight.

More risk in NE, at XMas.

Good luck.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
East coast can be great and it can also have a decided lack of snow and open terrain. Last year we picked up a very discounted slope-side room at Burke Mountain's brand new hotel . $220 per day which included 2 lift tickets. We went 12/27 - 12/30. Fortunately for us the storm pulled through with a foot of snow. If making advance reservations I would only choose from resorts with major snowmaking muscle: Stowe, Killington, Okemo, Stratton to name a few. Christmas week will be crowded as all heck at all the well known resorts. Even Burke had long lines on the Powder morning we were there.

Jay Peak, mentioned in an earlier post, is one of my favorite eastern areas, but it gets crowded these days and can be very hit or miss conditions wise.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Another general thought: zoos tend to develop and worsen through the day. Wherever you go,

• start with the first chair
  • Lunch when it gets heaviest, 11 to noon
  • Back to the slopes while everyone eats
  • Might need to leave when they all come back, but hey :)

Sponsor