• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

X-Ice Xi3 or Blizzak WS80 for Mid-Atlantic East fwd passenger car?

X-Ice or Blizzak (FWD passenger car, Mid-Atlantic East = more warm dry days)

• Michlen X-Ice Xi3

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Bridgestone Blizzak WS80

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TS
neonorchid

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Did you try Discount/America's Tire?
No, I like to buy my tires from Costco.
My 84 year old mom tools around in a car which uses $$$ low sidewall salami wrapper tires, mags in the back. I've lost count of how many of them have been blown out from one inspection sticker to the next inspection sticker, curb shots and potholes. Costco has always taken care of me, prorating based on age (of the tire), and remaining tread depth for replacements, it's part of the deal. Free tire rotations aren't half bad either.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, I like to buy my tires from Costco.
My 84 year old mom tools around in a car which uses $$$ low sidewall salami wrapper tires, mags in the back. I've lost count of how many of them have been blown out from one inspection sticker to the next inspection sticker, curb shots and potholes. Costco has always taken care of me, prorating based on age and remaining tread depth for replacements, it's part of the deal. Free tire rotations aren't half bad either.
But they can't get you the tires you want. Discount tires offers free rotating also, fwiw. But I see why you're loyal to Costco; sounds like they've been good to you.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
My take is the Philly area weather does not justify a dedicated winter tire, especially with FWD. Even assuming you do several trips to ski in Vermont, the chances of getting into deep new snow are slim, and, it is not until you approach the destination that you leave major highways that get plowed first. The major driving impediment is other cars becoming stuck on roadways causing massive back-ups, we had an event last week in our first snow that is a classic example.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My take is the Philly area weather does not justify a dedicated winter tire, especially with FWD. Even assuming you do several trips to ski in Vermont, the chances of getting into deep new snow are slim,.

I disagree with this on several fronts:
a) black ice happens everywhere within hours of a cold wind - even last year DC had an overnight where black ice formed during rush hour. No road crews on the planet can amend that and several hundred collisions and ditchings were the proof.
b) the extra grip of winter rated rubber also makes a difference in dry conditions AND in wet-but-not frozen conditions like we are having right now. Especially in cross winds.
c) Skiers look for storms. The chances OP will find winter weather on I87 or I91 or I93 or I89 are exponentially higher for skiers because winter weather is an opportunity. And thus I have been on I87 with 6" inches of snow on it.
d) Yes major highways get plowed but off-ramps and side roads don't. Not having winter rubber means not being able to leave the interstate in a backup and being stuck with everyone else - who also don't have winter rubber and will be sliding towards you.
e) The less experience someone has driving in winter weather, the more they need the extra grip of winter rubber when winter weather happens. Living in the Mid-A is therefore a handicap - and winter rubber is the cheater.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
FWIW, if your temps don't go over 40F for 4 months, I'd get winters regardless. I'd get stock size though so you don't lose TOO much handling performance. But yeah..

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've had about 4 pairs of each over the years (multiple cars in the family). The Michelin has a slight edge in tread life, noise level, and dry/wet road handling. The Bridgestone slightly better in snow AND on ice. And even when the "Special" compound is worn away, they perform batter than most "All season" tires, even when they are new. (first hand experience with this in a 8" snow dump)