• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WWYD? Someone falling off of chairlift

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
The thread on the Georgia chairlift prompted a discussion of what would you do in the same situation. As I looked for more information, I turned to youtube and found these compilations of people falling off of chairlifts.

What would you do in this situation if it was someone on your lift or if you were someone of the ground?

Warning: Most look like the attempts to minimize injury was successful, but there are a few where no one was there in time.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I agree with @scott43 , The 1st rule of giving assistance is to protect yourself. No need to add a 2nd victim. That said, if I'm riding with my grandson, I'm taking more risk to to save him than if I'm riding with a stranger. I've seen a couple of people fall from chairlifts. It's rarely fatal but sure, you can get quite hurt. Fall off early and often rather than once over the highest hardest-packed flat snow....

Back in our youth, we would sometimes take an "early exit" from the chair on purpose at a nice spot. I guess we were "practicing" falling off in a graceful manner.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Back in our youth, we would sometimes take an "early exit" from the chair on purpose at a nice spot. I guess we were "practicing" falling off in a graceful manner.
Some kids (high school age) jumped from the chairlift at Crystal Mountain Michigan, near the top on a powder day. The jump created such a bounce that the woman getting off at the top broke her hip. I remember this well because I was stuck on the chair while they were tending to her. Ski Patrol was eager to find the kids who jumped. Not sure what happened to them.

*This was an older fixed grip chair with the post in the middle.
Knowing what I know about pullies and cables, an old chair like that can derail with a significant bounce.
Fortunately this incident didn't derail it. Unfortunately a woman broke her hip.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Some kids (high school age) jumped from the chairlift at Crystal Mountain Michigan, near the top on a powder day. The jump created such a bounce that the woman getting off at the top broke her hip. I remember this well because I was stuck on the chair while they were tending to her. Ski Patrol was eager to find the kids who jumped. Not sure what happened to them.

*This was an older fixed grip chair with the post in the middle.
Knowing what I know about pullies and cables, an old chair like that can derail with a significant bounce.
Fortunately this incident didn't derail it. Unfortunately a woman broke her hip.

I’d love to see those a-holes and their parents prosecuted. It seems like every other time that I ski I am getting in someone’s face for doing something stupid.

I have a background in Military SAR and have developed zero tolerance for people who do stupid things on or off the slope.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Darwin is always looking to remove bad genes from the gene pool ;).

Most falls are preventable by following the rules and not horsing around. Those that do are likely to experience a fall or cause someone else to fall.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
heard from a buddy that a kid fell off the Stoke chair at Revy on Sunday.
then the mother jumped after her kid.
he said it was a fairly big drop but luckily the snow was reasonably soft so neither got hurt badly.
sometimes you just react

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Stay in the chair if you can. Hypothermia in the stalled chair is the least risky option. If the brakes or cable clamp failed and the chair is running away backwards, you gott'a find the softest place to jump into and go for it.

At Sunshine Village I was surprised to see rescue ropes on many of the lift towers. They were in a bag with the seat device sticking out. Throw the rope over the cable, get the skier onto the seat thing, lower away. If the chair is too high, what then? Someone climbs the tower, comes along the cable with climbing gear, then what? Put the person into a seat device and lower them? I haven't seen a chairlift evacuation in many years. I'm sure there is a way to evacuate the Peak-to-Peak gondola at Whistler (1400' above ground), and I'm sure they practice, but how? Helicopter if weather lets them fly? If the weather is bad, then what? Or is there a way to drag the gondola cars back into the station even if everything else is broken down?

I've seen the "jumping sheet" laid out at some ski areas. Those were abandoned by fire departments years ago as too risky for both the victim and the rescuers. If you have to jump into one, drop your skis or snowboard, then drop into the center of the jumping sheet butt first.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Stay in the chair if you can. Hypothermia in the stalled chair is the least risky option. If the brakes or cable clamp failed and the chair is running away backwards, you gott'a find the softest place to jump into and go for it.

At Sunshine Village I was surprised to see rescue ropes on many of the lift towers. They were in a bag with the seat device sticking out. Throw the rope over the cable, get the skier onto the seat thing, lower away. If the chair is too high, what then? Someone climbs the tower, comes along the cable with climbing gear, then what? Put the person into a seat device and lower them? I haven't seen a chairlift evacuation in many years. I'm sure there is a way to evacuate the Peak-to-Peak gondola at Whistler (1400' above ground), and I'm sure they practice, but how? Helicopter if weather lets them fly? If the weather is bad, then what? Or is there a way to drag the gondola cars back into the station even if everything else is broken down?

I've seen the "jumping sheet" laid out at some ski areas. Those were abandoned by fire departments years ago as too risky for both the victim and the rescuers. If you have to jump into one, drop your skis or snowboard, then drop into the center of the jumping sheet butt first.
Interesting to hear that the evac kits were on the towers. we keep some of ours at the top of the mountain and some at the base. I can see the rational for spacing them around the mountain BIMHO it makes more sense to take the gear to the location.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

This is a great vid..

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting they took them UP the hill instead of down. I would have thought down to the parking lot/lodge area since their board or skis didn't go for the ride.

James

Out There
Instructor
Make sure the bar doesn't fall. A 14 yr old girl was killed that way at Powder Ridge in CT. The friend slid off and apparently the bar then came down catching her helmet and she was hanged. After school night skiing.

http://articles.courant.com/2001-04-03/news/0104030702_1_ski-patrol-lift-powder-ridge-ski-area