Wrong flex ski boot lead to injuries

Discussion in 'New to Skiing?' started by Vincent_Diesel, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Vincent_Diesel

Vincent_Diesel At the base lodge Skier

New skier, lessons, and have skied about 10 days now. Still obviously working on technique, but have noticed that my ankles especially my right ankle is quite sore (clicking at times when I walk) and I probably need to get it looked at but... Besides technique could I be in the wrong boot flex? I am 5'8" and a hefty 220 lbs. Currently fitted for Atomic Hawx Magna 100 which have been recommended due to larger calf volume. My mind is thinking that yes, a softer flex is strongly recommended for beginners but due to my weight do I need something sturdier? Will it be a bad idea for me?

2. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    The flex sounds okay, given you are a beginner at your weight, provided you don't ski too fast.
    Fit is a different question, that can only be answered in person with a good boot fitter.

3. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

First, do you have a proper footbed in the boot? At least a Superfeet or ideally a full custom? Also, how are you buckling the boots. botton buckles guide the foot and only need to have finger pressure to close them. The top buckles control the foot and you will need the palm to close them to hold the ankle. Make sure you are tighening the top buckles enough..a common oversight with new skiers.

4. Thread Starter
    TS
    Vincent_Diesel

Thanks for the responses. Yes I do have at least a Superfeet foot bed. My heel doesn’t seem to move around, in fact foot feels pretty locked in. As for tightening the straps I do go by what you suggested, finger tight lower straps and tighter along the shin.

5. Thread Starter
    TS
    Vincent_Diesel

Josh Matta likes this.

6. BoofHead

BoofHead Getting on the lift Skier

I hover around 220 and have boots in the 100 range. Im fair bit taller as well. I drive some big fat skis and on occasion get my old fully cambered Mantrs out if I find myself on harder snow. I probably should be in stiffer boots andI am looking upgrade; however, I’m not a beginner. stiffness is not at the top of the list of my requirements.
    Can you get to good boot fitter? Much better than self diagnosis via google.

7. Josh Matta

Josh Matta Making fresh tracks Instructor

If you alignment is dialed in a for and aft plane, then concrete boots can work even for newer skier like yourself.

Noodler, RuleMiHa and tinymoose like this.
  8. Coach13

Coach13 Out on the slopes Skier

If your boots fit as a beginner you are off to a good start. Boot flex won’t affect you much for a bit and is one factor that’s much overthought imo.

9. LuliTheYounger

LuliTheYounger I'm just here to bother my mom Skier

I haven't experienced it with my ski boots, but I've noticed that the first sign that my figure skates aren't laced stiff enough is that my ankle muscles start cramping up from trying to stay over the blades by sheer muscle force?

Vincent_Diesel likes this.
  10. Sibhusky

Sibhusky Making fresh tracks Skier

Heck I used to ski in boots with a 60 flex even though I weighed 160-170 pounds. Now I'm in 110's, but at a greater weight. I could maybe see an issue with skinny shanks and loose buckles. I never noticed this clicking thing.

11. Thread Starter
    TS
    Vincent_Diesel

12. Thread Starter
    TS
    Vincent_Diesel

I appreciate all the replies.

Looks like as this season winds down here in the Northeast, I will get an opinion with a boot fitter during the off season.

My wife and I wear the same size boots and just for kicks I tried her boots on. Her Rossi 90 vs my Atomic 100, her 90 feels a lot stiffer flexwise and just more locked in. I understand that every manufacturer stiffness is different, but I just feel simulating fore and aft movement in both boots I feel better weight transfer with her boots.

13. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

Your not going to get discomfort in your ankle from flexing. Assuming you don't get discomfort walking, which is far greater range of motion.
    Discomfort in ankle is likely caused by hitting or rubbing on the shell. Extra work in balancing will cause muscle tiredness or soreness in calf and maybe quads. Mostly former unless your backseat.

I think it is likely the lateral softness was the big factor here in the Dodge boot article. I spent significant time this year skiing with the upper cuff buckles loose. These are stiff boots. Say 150. Calfs were sore in the begining post skiing. The big plus is your body can react quickly to balance issues. Downside is the cuff is floppy so when there's chaotic forces coming back from snow you have less control.

I do not recommend this for a beginner btw.

Noodler and Vincent_Diesel like this.
  14. Thread Starter
    TS
    Vincent_Diesel

The thing that doesn’t make sense to me is why would anyone want flex in a ski boot anyways? except for moments when I am out of my skis and headed to the bar. Isn’t that what walk mode is for...

If we are taught to carve, by angulating our knees, and to control fore and aft by shifting our weight back and forth along the forward axis, again using our knees, then why do we need to use our ankles? Our knees do all of the work correct? Doesn’t this negate the need for boot flex, specifically the ankle area.

15. Fuller

Fuller T shirts & flip flops... Skier

The solution, obviously, is to "borrow" your wife's boots and not give them back!

If you only have 10 days on skis, ever, then you can expect your whole body to be acclimating to the new stresses it is being put under. In the beginning everything is an effort, as you learn you get more efficient and it gets easier.

Sometimes I fall into a trap of overthinking my equipment needs and blaming a problem on something I read about on the internet. Most of the time it boils down to me and my own lack of good fundamentals not the equipment.

That said, the boot fit is super important but the lower flex won't mean much until you get past the beginner stage.

Vincent_Diesel and ScotsSkier like this.
  16. KingGrump

KingGrump Most Interesting Man In The World Team Gathermeister

There is so many things wrong there. :nono:

Have you been taking lessons from the Austrians again?
    Bend zee knees, five dollars please.

Old boot and François Pugh like this.
  17. Pequenita

Pequenita Out on the slopes Skier

If you bend only your knees but don’t flex your ankles, you’re doing a squat and your weight is behind you. If you flex your ankles, everything moves forward and things line up better. Short answer.

18. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

Casting your foot/ankle in rigid boot where it can't move at all is a recipe for poor skiing and getting hurt. Probably a knee. The foot/ankle is incredibly complicated. Even for Fred Flintstone.

19. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    Knees to skis, ten dollars please! :D

Old boot likes this.
  20. EBG18T

EBG18T Luv da snow! Skier

Don’t overthink the article. Its a marketing piece to help sell product.

Are you feeling pain or clicking in your ankle when walking in your daily shoes?

Doug Briggs and Sibhusky like this.