• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Village Day Lodge Rentals shop at Sun Peaks rents ski pants and jackets mostly to Air Canada passengers whose luggage ends up arriving on a later flight. With Pacific Western airlines this almost never happens.

At Elevation Ski & Bike we rent out a surprising number of helmets and sometimes goggles, usually to someone who has left theirs at home and doesn't want to buy another pair.

If I was to ever rent a helmet, first I would buy a helmet liner but I have never seen anyone do that. At the end of the day I spray the inside of returning helmets with the same stuff that we spray inside the returning boots.
I had my helmet liner . . . And just tried not to think about it! In addition, it was so very, very cold then that I don't know that bugs could live.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
IIRC, Snowbasin used to rent clothing, not sure if they still do. @AmyPJ?

I would say at least once a week someone would come into True North at Northstar and ask if we rented ski pants...and even gloves.
Not that I'm aware of. They will dig around in lost and found for stuff that's been there for awhile and loan it out, though. Always good in a pinch if you lose/forget your goggles or gloves or something.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Definitely nothing survives at that temperature you had to ski in :)

I guess I should call up my boss and tell him to cancel the disinfecting foot spray order and instead we can leave returning rental boots and helmets outside for a few hours each evening.:duck:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
The two times (first and last - which are the same) that you don't pack your ski clothes in your bootbag and your bags get "delayed" - you definitely will. Ask me how I know.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I can see for at-base rentals for lost luggage, but otherwise?

Why would you rent it? You can buy a cheap set of pants and jacket for a few bucks. Plus, if you live anywhere outside of the tropics, don't you have something you could make work? Snowmobile clothing is a bit different, as I believe that outside of Minnesota people don't think Polaris jackets are the height of winter fashion.
I also doesn't have to be ski specific. Hiking jacket, climbing jacket, XC jacket, bike jacket, sailing jacket, horseback riding jacket, warm up jacket from a team sport. Add layers underneath as necessary.
Nylon wind pants from Old Navy or the thrift store. WPB Rainpants.
On close outs, you can get some very high end stuff fairly cheap to.

Helmets I can see. They are bulky and single purpose. But clothes? Even if you use them rarely, you can stuff them in a box or shelf somewhere.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Only places I remember see renting coats, pants, gloves are places around here tho cater to a lot of tourists from Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida. Before skiing in NC I'd never seen a rental shop that also rented soft goods to tourists..

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
No!!! Would never rent soft goods. The only time I even came close to anything like that was the time I forgot to pack a pair of ski pants on a trip to Stowe. A friend had an extra pair that would fit me so I had to use ski pants from a friend, not bad but still not my cup of tea.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
No. But I had to ski in some trackpants once in SLC after Delta delayed my luggage. Or more accurately snowboard because I wasn't risking skiing the first day in rental boots.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January