• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
ATLSkier

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
Just thought I would report back that I bought the Kore 93s, had them out at Deer Valley for the first time last week, and loved them. Very much appreciate the reviews and recommendations on here that led me to them. Never would have found them otherwise because none of the ski shops near me have them.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sadly, they never seem to demo racing skis any more :(.
There are often race demos for the kids. This could extend into adult skis too. You'd have to find out about it from someone in racing or a local shop,s that are supporting it. They don't want the public, but my experience is if you know guys at the shop, and say you've brought beer before, they'll let you demo. There may even be a way to do it more formally.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Would like to get demos but it never seems to work out.Have gotten skis at the annual swap here last years demos are very reasonable. If you don't like them they go back in the swap next year. Plus got a pool of guys and girls around me that ski where I do and that helps a bit.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just thought I would report back that I bought the Kore 93s, had them out at Deer Valley for the first time last week, and loved them. Very much appreciate the reviews and recommendations on here that led me to them. Never would have found them otherwise because none of the ski shops near me have them.
Great to hear!

n black

Booting up
Skier
I very rarely demo skis before buying. A bit of research from sources (personal, online, publications) that have given me good advice in the past, and I've got enough to trust to go out and buy some boards. Almost never disappointed in what I get (unless it breaks prematurely, which has happened).

I was a bit pickier back in my racing days, but back then "demos" usually consisted of trying pairs from fellow racers. I wasn't of the same physical build as most of my fellow competitors, so had to take their opinions with a healthy grain of salt.

These days, I've been on many dozens of skis from "intermediate rentals" to current race stock to the latest and greatest custom boo-teek layups. My conclusion is that skis are all infinitely better than back in the good old days. I can have real fun on just about anything. The overall versatility of most boards today is actually quite shocking, really. Powder boards that carve and also play well in the moguls - great stuff. I've run beer league races on some true fatties - what a blast!

That said, I think it really depends on the skier, their comfort level, and how much they're able to adapt to what a ski is capable of doing.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I bought my BD Carbon Megawatts without a demo. They came with skins cut to fit. I have no regrets having skied them both in and out of the resort.

I bought a pair of Elan 777s a number of years ago and didn't really take to them. Good ski, but not what I was looking for.

The MX98s that I was gifted were phenomenal and much more fun than I had expected. Real chargers and fast skis.

The MX88s that I bought for someone else and received back have been more fun than expected. A fat SL ski.

I, like others, listen, read and ask before I consider a ski especially when I won't get to demo it first.