• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Would love your help with a ski recco: all-mountain/narrow

James

Out There
Instructor
Hey James--thanks for asking that good question--

So I clearly understand that in bumps I'm trying to use only as much edge as necessary (or none at all) and ski on as flat a ski as possible; notwithstanding--won't a narrower ski--still come around faster as you're tipping your downhill ski into the back side or down the bump--versus a 90+ ski--

Does narrower have to mean much more side cut, by definition, isn't there a narrower ski that is more agile--but can also vary turn shapes.?

Maybe that is the Latigo?

No, there's a range of sidecuts. You just mentioned "quick turning" which usually means less than 13-14m. That's all.

Josh, this is what he's looking for.Are you really recommending a gs ski for trees?

"I am looking for a narrower ski (84 or less) fast turning--ski that is comfortable is bumps and high trees. I understand or believe that many of the narrower skis are more carving oriented, a little too stout for bumps, and not so great at varying turn shapes."

Not sure what "high trees" means. Well spaced out? Near altitude of tree line?

Have you skied any skis 84mm or less recently? We can throw ideas out but it's usually geared to what we like without more info.

Are you ok with getting a couple of skis?

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
M-a-aybe.

Where are you skiing, @DavidA? East Coast, you'll want the HP — I hated the 85 non-metal version on ice. If West, the non-HP 85 is as good as anything. I liked the HP quite a bit, but I was just as happy, maybe happier, putting my 84s back on.
Interesting.
Yeah I skied the non hp at Aspen Highlands. It was hardly fluffy that day but no hardcore ice. What do you weigh?

I think @Drahtguy Kevin might also recommend The Ski.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
While The Ski is nice, he wants something mid-80's or less. The FX 85 (non HP) would be my recommendation. I enjoy the hell out of my 85 HP's but I'm more than a few 12 packs heavier. The Blizzard Latigo would be a close second.

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
Thank you guys!

Would you include the Rally or Titan in this group or the MX 84?

SJ--you've identified my key problem--plenty of ice picks--but they're not really good all over the mountain. Today--I see many of the top skiers on the mountain--ski school directors, top pros--who rip the entire mountain--on narrower skis--

Titan or Rally?.........not really. They are certainly firm>hard snow biased and both are a little too stiff in torsion to be really compliant in bumps or mixed conditions such as you'd experience in skied out trees or tree runs with a sprinkle of new. Some of the instinct series are better for your terrain description but those are all what I'd call "cruiser" skis and not real high on the list for nimble and energetic.

You are asking for the right thing (narrow all mountain) but most of the ski makers interpret that to mean "frontside biased"

SJ

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Interesting.
Yeah I skied the non hp at Aspen Highlands. It was hardly fluffy that day but no hardcore ice. What do you weigh?

170. It was fine on soft snow, but dangerous on ice — no edge. I'd been on the 85HP and the 95HP, as well as the MX89, and all had been fine (excellent, really), but the non-HP scared me. Could have been the tune, I suppose. I was on a Scott that day, too, which did better, but which didn't knock me out.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
My entire point is there no condition in the trees, where anything under 91 underfoot is going to be significantly better and you actually want to be in the trees.

In the bumps however a master GS skis is truly better on packed and especially firm and icey snow.

It hard for me recommend GS skis for eastern tree, but that is mostly due unseen snow hazards. when its packed down Masters GS skis again accel.

@tog

I ski my 80mm Xpower, Rossi SL skis, and my newly acquired Masters GS skis when appropriate, I even do to take the X powers and SL skis into the woods when stuff is firm but well covered. Although I generally am more careful about rocks when on skis I consider hardsnow skis. the only real reason for me taking those skis in the woods is I am skiing mostly groomers and getting bored so I go into the woods. They are not really any better or worse than say my 88mm Brahmas in the woods when conditions are like that. I just skis a more rounded line.