• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Worth A stop at Timberline?

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Greetings to you all. I've got business meetings in Richland, WA from October 23 - 26. I can spare Friday the 27th before coming home, and am wondering if it would be worth spending it taking a few turns at Timberline. With the usual caveats that nothing can be known this far in advance, is there a decent chance of enough terrain being open to stop by? Perhaps only Palmer is open, but for someone aching to be on snow, wouldn't that be worth a few hours if I'm in the area anyway? I don't get many chances to ski, so I'm not picky when an opportunity presents itself. I've never skied Timberline - or anywhere in the PNW, so advice and suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you!

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Timberline closed lifts Labor Day weekend. See http://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions/ for current conditions and
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/timberline-mt-hood-9-2-17.5860/#post-137869 for posts from closing weekend.

Even though their website says
"We’re the only ski area in North America that’s open all 12 months of the year. "

It also says
"Many years, we’re open for fall skiing as well (Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in September and October snow permitting)."

This must not be one of the many years. They could re-open by end of Oct. but more likely will require hiking if you want to ski. In 2016, they re-opened Nov. 19 and that is also their scheduled date to re-open this year.

Last edited:
TS
Eddie S

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Timberline closed lifts Labor Day weekend. See http://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions/ for current conditions and
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/timberline-mt-hood-9-2-17.5860/#post-137869 for posts from closing weekend.

Even though their website says
"We’re the only ski area in North America that’s open all 12 months of the year. "

It also says
"Many years, we’re open for fall skiing as well (Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in September and October snow permitting)."

This must not be one of the many years. They could re-open by end of Oct. but more likely will require hiking if you want to ski. In 2016, they re-opened Nov. 19 and that is also their scheduled date to re-open this year.

Thank you, Tony. That does seem to be the case. I've booked my business trip without leaving time for Timberline - doesn't seem worth the risk, so I'd rather be home (and my cats concur).

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Understanding the ski aspect to skip Timberline but iwas gonna say its a very cool place to visit just for historical value ... if you enjoy history and such. Decent restaurant too.

Perhaps next visit

TS
Eddie S

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Understanding the ski aspect to skip Timberline but iwas gonna say its a very cool place to visit just for historical value ... if you enjoy history and such. Decent restaurant too.

Perhaps next visit
Hello, Pete. Yes, are are certainly right! It is a beautiful and interesting place. I've hiked around there and other parts of Mt. Hood several times, thanks to business trips that provide the chance to drive the gorge. I just haven't been through during ski season yet. Soon, I hope!

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Yes, I wound up not skiing my last two times there, thanks to rain (July 2012) and high winds closing the lifts (May 2014). In both cases I had a lot of quality skiing at Bachelor first and still enjoyed being at the Timberline Lodge for a night for the food, architecture and history.

If Timberline reopens in October, I suspect that is based upon new snow around the Lodge area. AFAIK Palmer does not run during the winter. Perhaps locals can tell us if it runs in the autumn and if so, when do they close it for the winter.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Maybe you saw this elsewhere on pugski, but I just received an e-mail from Snowbrains that said "Timberline Lodge just announced on their Facebook Page that they will open the Palmer Lift for skiing and riding on the Palmer Snowfield, starting this weekend. The lift will run on weekends for as long as conditions permit."

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Early Nov. and a few new feet, perfect to start retirement.

Sponsor