• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Worst Skis Ever?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is kind of a thread detour but I was at a demo a few years ago and skied a Volkl Kendo from the Volkl tent. It was easily the best ski of the day. Later in the day, I wanted to revisit the Kendo. I demoed it from the local shop's demo booth, and it was the worst, scariest ski I've ever been on. It's amazing what a tune (good and bad) can do. Not saying that the skis in this thread could be fixed with a tune but that sure left an impression.
On one trip to Big Sky, I decided to try a few wider skis (since I was on 79s). Every ski I took from the shop had a horrible tune. One was so bad I fell 4 times on one run. Total waste of a day. After that I swore to always bring my own skis, no matter what or where.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
On one trip to Big Sky, I decided to try a few wider skis (since I was on 79s). Every ski I took from the shop had a horrible tune. One was so bad I fell 4 times on one run. Total waste of a day. After that I swore to always bring my own skis, no matter what or where.
This is interesting, I have thought that if I ever travel on a plane to ski I only would bring my boots. I would demo wide skis because my current ski is mid 70's. I might have to rethink my thoughts on this.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, I used to think that way. I've had a few sour experiences with "demo" skis from shops at the mountains. That experience at Big Sky was the worst.

I've actually had better luck with the normal rentals. I've had some really good "one off" days on them. Red Mountain BC and Hoodoo in Oregon are two that come to mind

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, I used to think that way. I've had a few sour experiences with "demo" skis from shops at the mountains. That experience at Big Sky was the worst.
It’s a Catch 22 going to Europe. Roller ski bag is a real pain if you move around and costs €200. Last few times I went to Europe I haven’t brought skis due to car trips with no room. Great freedom, but it’s a crap shoot.
MX84 - pretty bad, on hard snow catch and release horror. If you demoed it without knowing you’d never buy it. Had an Atomic slalom that was delaminated underfoot, had enormous base bevel and dull, horrible for hard snow, ok for soft.

Worst of the worst was a Rustler 9 I rented in Chamonix. Not only unskiable, but dangerous. Wasn’t a hanging burr either. Lucky it was raining at the bottom and soft. So bad that after that one run I walked across the street and paid to rent a different ski. Taking the bad one back on the bus and returning pretty much would’ve killed the day.

bmlvail

Booting up
Industry Insider
3974_pic1c.jpg

What, the Watea 94? Maybe worst graphics ever (the pee-pee skis)?!?
I had a pair of these, and they were great for the first 3 years as my daily driver. Then, something happened, perhaps they warped in the hot attic in the summer, but they felt like the most convex bases ever. I tuned and tuned, eventually had them base-ground, but they never skied right again. Why did you call them out, @bmlvail ?
Weak and soulless ski with no energy or life. Mine were an earlier model than this image.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Weak and soulless ski with no energy or life. Mine were an earlier model than this image.

If you had one of the Maori graphic ones, know that I absolutely disagree. Those things rocked on crust, on chunky semi iced bumps and in bumped out trees. We had a Gathering at JH - I forget the year (10?) and they were better than V2 Volants at sucking up the off piste coral reef after a wind storm put all the snow in Nebraska.

I will agree that the ptex was very slow if you got the wax wrong.

bmlvail

Booting up
Industry Insider
If you had one of the Maori graphic ones, know that I absolutely disagree. Those things rocked on crust, on chunky semi iced bumps and in bumped out trees. We had a Gathering at JH - I forget the year (10?) and they were better than V2 Volants at sucking up the off piste coral reef after a wind storm put all the snow in Nebraska.

I will agree that the ptex was very slow if you got the wax wrong.
2009-2010 Watea 94