• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Worst gear purchase?

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Salomon Ghost CS. The ones that just had a panel of the CS. The instep ended up just being way to low volume for me. The original "fitter" who put me in them did not even know how solly recomended to heat and cool the shell. I took them to another fitter who shaved the board down as much as possible trying to make room in the instep. Ultimately they just did not work for my foot. They ski'ed great, but were miserable to be in.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Scott Superhots. So cool, yet so much pain. My shins still hurt just thinking about them.

I had a pair of Scott's and they rubbed my shins raw to the point of bleeding! I actually had scabs on my shins.

Budge

Booting up
Skier
Lange ZRs "Orange Crush". Those things were stiff, and it was definitely a square peg in a round hole

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Many years ago I purchased a set of BURT Bindings

Recommendation is do not buy a binding the works like a yoyo.

Saw someone manage to get their pole caught up in the cable of those out on the mountain once.. Talk about wrapped around the axle.. Probably still stuck between the ski and plate today hahahahaha

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Skis bought based on magazine reviews:
  • Fischer Watea 84. I never figured out how to ski these things... I very nearly left them at the mountain after one last frustrating day on them, figuring that somebody would "steal" them (i.e,. "make my day, steal these skis"), but eventually sold them on eBay to some unsuspecting schmuck who also believed the marketing drivel on them.
  • Blizzard Magnum 8.0 CA. To this day it mystifies me as to how anybody likes these skis.
  • Rossignol Bandit something's...

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The Bandit number had to do with the waist size. Going from memory, The B3 was HUGE at about 85mm. The first generations were pretty much a breakthrough ski. And they did truck in the powder. Cantunamunch is right in agreement with me. The older iterations of that ski were not good at all. something just went wrong.

The B4 was, I bet mid-90's. They were a hell of a ski. I visited a buddy in SLC, and we got a lot of snow and he put me on his. I think about 193cm......a couple of my best deep snow days EVVVahh.

My crappiest ski purchase ever was a pair of Lacroix something or others. Bought without trying them. Was assured that they would ski great. Like a race ski, but so smooth. I knew within about 100 yards that they just sucked. Back to the shop, back on rack as "skied one day". That day cost me about $200 back when skis were not that expensive. These things wereShop sold me a pair of trusty Volkl GS at their cost.

In college, I badly cracked a pair of Lange's, about 1975. I really needed boots that afternoon for the next day. Shop at Sugarloaf {the Ski Rack} had no Lange's, and no normal Nordica Grand Prix race boots in my size. But, they had these brand new, delivered that day Nordica boots that were supposed to be just the best ever performance boot. The things had no hinge, and six buckles. The top buckle was on the liner. Let's say the cuff was "kinda" tall. I lasted about one day in those, and luckily they were able to get me new Lange's in my size. I pity the poor guy who bought those next. Great lightly used deal. Why on earth would you need to flex an ankle?

Bought a new pair of boots around 1982, another bad non-Lange experiment for me. Maybe early Tecnica's? They had a leather liner. I was pretty darn sure of what I wanted for size, but the "master boot fitter" was adamant that the liner would not stretch that much. Sure it wouldn't. By the end of three days, I felt like I could stick two feet in the boot. Awful. I go back to the guy, and he explains that the boot's new and that he really wasn't sure how much it would stretch. He offers to pad the outside of it.....ahhhh, NO. Back to a Lange {constant theme, 1968-2004 and 2013 to present, hiatus to a Dobermann in between}.

In 2004, I had a pair of Stroltz boots made for me. Not cheap. The leather liner was a thing of beauty. The most high volume boot that I have ever seen, though. I really had doubts as they were building them. I felt like a clown skiing in them. Again, about three runs into it, I'm thinking "what the hell have I done?" My wife and daughter appear on the scene. Daughter is in a ski academy, has the weekend off, skiing with mom. They are doubled over laughing at how huge the boots are, and when we go to ski, it's worse. Stance just sucks, and I literally can't ski. Crying they are laughing so hard. I meet up with our son, who is older, and has the day off. What's up? He's meeting his boot company guy who's dropping off a couple of pairs of new boots for him. I invite myself along. Come home 4 hours later, having been fitted to a new pair of Dobies which the rep happened to have in his van in a 305mm BSL. Cut the saddles to soften them. Little bit of grinding here and there. All good. Sold the Strolz on Epic for $100 about five years later. Slight loss. That's my biggest boot loser. But it sure gave two ladies that I adore a TON of laughs.

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
716UV8akRAS._UY500_.jpg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not bought, but the worst boots I ever had were a pair of Tecnica TNTs. At the time, they were my boot sponsor. The previous year's TX boots were extremely good for me: great fit, excellent flex, tough as nails. I won many races on them.

Next season, the TXs were taken away and replaced with the latest and greatest TNTs. Everything that the TXs were, these weren't. Even with a custom foamed liner, they fit terribly, and the shells broke down very quickly. I went through at least 10 buckles, as they broke at the slightest contact with a gate or hard snow. I eventually replaced the canting bolts with rivets, as even red Loctite couldn't keep them in. By the end of the season, I'd jumped ship to Nordica, hopping on the then-recently-reintroduced Grand Prix plugs.

Otherwise, not much to complain about.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But, they had these brand new, delivered that day Nordica boots that were supposed to be just the best ever performance boot. The things had no hinge, and six buckles. The top buckle was on the liner. Let's say the cuff was "kinda" tall.

Those sound like they may have been the deservedly short-lived Nordica Polaris. Nearly knee-high? My roomate in Jackson Hole had a pair of those in 1980. I didn't realize what a good skier he was until he sold them, and bought some regular boots!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Those sound like they may have been the deservedly short-lived Nordica Polaris. Nearly knee-high? My roomate in Jackson Hole had a pair of those in 1980. I didn't realize what a good skier he was until he sold them, and bought some regular boots!
Don't knock the Polaris.

12742272_1126249690742340_451603984395503550_n.jpg

I still have a pair I ski.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Bandit number had to do with the waist size. Going from memory, The B3 was HUGE at about 85mm. The first generations were pretty much a breakthrough ski. And they did truck in the powder. Cantunamunch is right in agreement with me. The older iterations of that ski were not good at all. something just went wrong.

The B4 was, I bet mid-90's. They were a hell of a ski. I visited a buddy in SLC, and we got a lot of snow and he put me on his. I think about 193cm......a couple of my best deep snow days EVVVahh.

My crappiest ski purchase ever was a pair of Lacroix something or others. Bought without trying them. Was assured that they would ski great. Like a race ski, but so smooth. I knew within about 100 yards that they just sucked. Back to the shop, back on rack as "skied one day". That day cost me about $200 back when skis were not that expensive. These things wereShop sold me a pair of trusty Volkl GS at their cost.

In college, I badly cracked a pair of Lange's, about 1975. I really needed boots that afternoon for the next day. Shop at Sugarloaf {the Ski Rack} had no Lange's, and no normal Nordica Grand Prix race boots in my size. But, they had these brand new, delivered that day Nordica boots that were supposed to be just the best ever performance boot. The things had no hinge, and six buckles. The top buckle was on the liner. Let's say the cuff was "kinda" tall. I lasted about one day in those, and luckily they were able to get me new Lange's in my size. I pity the poor guy who bought those next. Great lightly used deal. Why on earth would you need to flex an ankle?

Bought a new pair of boots around 1982, another bad non-Lange experiment for me. Maybe early Tecnica's? They had a leather liner. I was pretty darn sure of what I wanted for size, but the "master boot fitter" was adamant that the liner would not stretch that much. Sure it wouldn't. By the end of three days, I felt like I could stick two feet in the boot. Awful. I go back to the guy, and he explains that the boot's new and that he really wasn't sure how much it would stretch. He offers to pad the outside of it.....ahhhh, NO. Back to a Lange {constant theme, 1968-2004 and 2013 to present, hiatus to a Dobermann in between}.

In 2004, I had a pair of Stroltz boots made for me. Not cheap. The leather liner was a thing of beauty. The most high volume boot that I have ever seen, though. I really had doubts as they were building them. I felt like a clown skiing in them. Again, about three runs into it, I'm thinking "what the hell have I done?" My wife and daughter appear on the scene. Daughter is in a ski academy, has the weekend off, skiing with mom. They are doubled over laughing at how huge the boots are, and when we go to ski, it's worse. Stance just sucks, and I literally can't ski. Crying they are laughing so hard. I meet up with our son, who is older, and has the day off. What's up? He's meeting his boot company guy who's dropping off a couple of pairs of new boots for him. I invite myself along. Come home 4 hours later, having been fitted to a new pair of Dobies which the rep happened to have in his van in a 305mm BSL. Cut the saddles to soften them. Little bit of grinding here and there. All good. Sold the Strolz on Epic for $100 about five years later. Slight loss. That's my biggest boot loser. But it sure gave two ladies that I adore a TON of laughs.

i had the Kastinger World cup (?) from 74-79 which was a 6 clip boot with the 6th clip on the liner, high back and no hinge. Absolutely beautiful leather liner. Really liked that boot, but I was not your level of skier!

Not bought, but the worst boots I ever had were a pair of Tecnica TNTs. At the time, they were my boot sponsor. The previous year's TX boots were extremely good for me: great fit, excellent flex, tough as nails. I won many races on them.

Next season, the TXs were taken away and replaced with the latest and greatest TNTs. Everything that the TXs were, these weren't. Even with a custom foamed liner, they fit terribly, and the shells broke down very quickly. I went through at least 10 buckles, as they broke at the slightest contact with a gate or hard snow. I eventually replaced the canting bolts with rivets, as even red Loctite couldn't keep them in. By the end of the season, I'd jumped ship to Nordica, hopping on the then-recently-reintroduced Grand Prix plugs.

Otherwise, not much to complain about.

just shows how one mans poison is another man's fine wine!. I had the original (pink) TNT and it was a revelation for me!. First boot ever that worked well with my narrow foot and high instep! And the stance - much more upright - was way ahead of its time. In fact would be interesting to try a pair now (if the plastic hadn't cracked up!) as i suspect it would work well with current skis and technique

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive

Mine were not the Polaris! Haha!

They were also not what Nordica stuck the Grand Prix name on at the time. The Grand Prix was the five buckle "Banana Boot" with a leather liner that had a buckle to close it, and keep the tongue on the calf. Sort of like a Booster Strap today.
These boots were red in color, and they were about 3" taller than the Grand Prix. The sixth buckle on the liner was much more evident on the boot. They were two piece boot, and the upper cuff was locked in position. Like the GP on steroids.
Really well made, and a beautiful liner......but for me, not a good skiing boot at all. Awful.
I actually don't think that I had to buy them....But I know that I returned them in a hurry. The shop that got the for me had a lot of rep/industry connections at that point. A lot of tight relationships, and these might have been some prototype.experiment gone wrong at the time. I've looked over the years for some information, but not much out there.

I was given one other six buckle boot to try back around 1970. A Henke. Leather boot. It looked like should have been great, and wasn't. At least for me. Was trying to recall when Lange went from five buckles to four, BTW.

54-46

"Hold my beer - Watch this!"
Skier
Volkl Vertigo Motion. Basically an AX3 with the marker integrated binding. Ski was pretty decent. System bindings prereleased.

But, at least I got them cheap in Cortina when the Euro was at $.87 so I made out OK after I sold them...

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
Volkl Vertigo Motion. Basically an AX3 with the marker integrated binding. Ski was pretty decent. System bindings prereleased.

But, at least I got them cheap in Cortina when the Euro was at $.87 so I made out OK after I sold them...
Like mine? :D That was actually the first ski that I bought -- it was second hand, but almost unused. So I'm a bit biased, but I thought it was a great ski, and I never had problems with the bindings. Really fun, fast carver. I gave mine to my dad after I realized that I was spending all my time on my Volkl AX4 724, and he still loves that ski for the few days he gets out each season.

54-46

"Hold my beer - Watch this!"
Skier
Like mine? :D That was actually the first ski that I bought -- it was second hand, but almost unused. So I'm a bit biased, but I thought it was a great ski, and I never had problems with the bindings. Really fun, fast carver. I gave mine to my dad after I realized that I was spending all my time on my Volkl AX4 724, and he still loves that ski for the few days he gets out each season.
Just hated the motion 1200 binding. Fell off on piste, walked out of them in bumps, popped off in ruts. Checked and rechecked them. Never had that experience with any other bindings, including other Markers.