• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I was reading the thread about the perfect run. It got me thinking about the opposite, those days when nothing seems to be working.
I had one this season when I went to Killington, I couldn't put two turns together.
So if you have any bad days you care to share this is the thread.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
It was a Sunday. The day before it, I hit my head on the ice and got a concussion. Then because of a prior commitment, I went out drinking with a friend, so that I could intervene when an acquaintance of hers didn't understand the word no, and convince him to go home. I don't look very convincing at all, but I have a very convincing left hook. Not the recommended treatment for a concussion. Got to bed (friends couch) about 4 AM. Was on the hill patrolling at 9 AM the next day. My skiing sucked big time.

And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are a few days that really stand out. Starting with a day at Huntah. This had to be mid 90's and my (late) FIL and I were on our way to Vermont for our annual "Boys Trip". We stopped at Hunter on the way and it was one of those days where you just dont have it and neither one of us did. We took two runs and got back in the car and continued our trip.

This was about 2006 at Jackson Hole, right after the woman was killed in Laramie Bowl by the snowboarder. All day there was a weirdness I felt and I had trouble even riding the lift. I tried to ski down Laramie Bowl and had to stop numerous times because I felt I was going to vomit. I never felt that way before or after. Strange the next day was fine.

The other day that stood out was at The Gathering in Vail. Refrozen nasty snow over night and we just skied down to mid mountain. A bunch of us decided to wait it out to see of it would thaw. We shared a tequila sunrise...then another and another and an eighth or so. After many laughs we skied down to the base and called it a day.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Alyeska back in the early 70's booting up in the day lodge on a bluebird powder day. Forest Service is shooting for avi control. They hit a heavily laden draw way up on Max's Mountain and it was a site to see that beast grow and roar down the mountain like the freight train from hell. The whole lodge is whooping and hollering till it hit the top of the skiable terrain with no signs of slowing down, and we all got real quiet. Within about 5 seconds everybody is bailing for the back door to the parking lot, and good thing. The beast came right through the front windows and ended up inside the day lodge, taking out the only chairlift on the way.

So ended the ski season at Alyeska that year. Bad day!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
4 years ago as technically intermediate but already almost pro level in my own mind (delusion of grandeur firmly established in other words), while skiing backwards watching my wife carving down the mountain I hit a pile of soft spring snow. A spectacular fall followed and I broke my left shoulder. Wasn't nice.

Then 3 years ago when we were fast boulder hopping training for balance and strength for the new ski season I slipped, fell on my knee and tore a side ligament in my right knee. The most intense friggin pain I have ever experienced in my life. Wasn't nice at all.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a season pass to Mt. Rose. This was 10-15 years ago. We finally got up to ski I think on Presidents' weekend or MLK or something like that. My boots sucked, the weather was kind of rainy. I skied one run and went in to the lodge for a beer. I was so disgusted that I didn't ski again that year. Kind of an expensive run. I barely skied at all for years until getting sucked into this quagmire!

Ragdoll down one of the Chutes at Mt. Rose. Shoulder surgery.

Tip caught on a flat green groomer at Squaw. MCL partial tear.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Alyeska back in the early 70's booting up in the day lodge on a bluebird powder day. Forest Service is shooting for avi control. They hit a heavily laden draw way up on Max's Mountain and it was a site to see that beast grow and roar down the mountain like the freight train from hell. The whole lodge is whooping and hollering till it hit the top of the skiable terrain with no signs of slowing down, and we all got real quiet. Within about 5 seconds everybody is bailing for the back door to the parking lot, and good thing. The beast came right through the front windows and ended up inside the day lodge, taking out the only chairlift on the way.

So ended the ski season at Alyeska that year. Bad day!
That's kinda cool in a hold my beer and watch this kinda way though.. :ogbiggrin:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine happened this winter. Arrived at Fernie during a long dry spell with pretty marginal conditions. My friend and I were on a ski expedition and we'd skied four long days going in. I don't know if it was accumulated tiredness, dehydration, whatever, but I regressed to beginner status. At least twice, I fell over just standing in place while we were deciding what to do. I thought the conditions were TERRIBLE; my friend thought they were poor but OK. I went down to the lodge and drank coffee and my friend made the best of it for another hour or two.

Took the next day off, and then skied all over the mountain the 3rd day with no issues whatsover. :huh:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The day I tried snow boarding. I was wearing cotton pants and long johns. I let my friend, who could barely board himself, convince me to take the lift to the top of Hunter and that he would teach me. I'd be fine. It took me a couple of hours to work my way down because I was too stubborn to take off the board and walk. When I got to the bottom, exhausted, I exchanged my rental board for skis and got at least a few runs in.

The time I skied at Vernon Valley. 'nuff said.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
A few years ago at Silver Mt. I had been teaching two ladies how to ski powder for a few trips and on this particular day they wanted to ski Real Powder so took them down South of the Border an easy pitch that usually had good snow and some trees. While leading them down the slope I kept looking back. Making sure they were doing ok and not getting lost or falling. While skiing and looking back at the same time I connected with a tree stump. Broke left wrist and put a limb through my right cheek into my mouth. Severe concussion, out for 30 sec. off the hill in sled to local hospital, then ambulance to another hospital. The worst thing was developed Bells Palsy from the trauma and still have slighly paralyzed right side of face. A really bad day. crash 001.JPG

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a day like that at Keystone 2 seasons ago. Took the gondola up and decided to take a warm-up run down Schoolmarm. I was not feeling that well but I didn't realize how sick and weak I actually was. Couldn't link 3 turns without stopping.

Keystone had recently put in "rest areas" along the sides of Schoolmarm, basically protected pullouts to get out of the flow of ski traffic. I stopped in each one, and also found some other areas to rest along the way.

Decided to take Montezuma up for another run. After all, only wimps quit after one run. Started out again on Schoolmarm. Fell after a few turns. Got up, skied a little, fell again. At this point a Ski Patroller came over to help me up. He asked if I was ok. He said he'd been watching me and that I should probably go home. He skied down with me, ever so slowly, to Montezuma. Rode up the lift with me then helped me walk over to the gondola. He actually rode down with me and asked if I needed help getting back to our condo.

I called my husband and he walked over and carried my skis back for me.

I didn't ski the next day.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The day I tried snow boarding. I was wearing cotton pants and long johns. I let my friend, who could barely board himself, convince me to take the lift to the top of Hunter and that he would teach me. I'd be fine. It took me a couple of hours to work my way down.

It took you a couple hours???? to get to the bottom at Hunter??.....

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
It took you a couple hours???? to get to the bottom at Hunter??.....
Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but it was probably an hour and a half. I could only sort of ski at that point and trying to board was me traveling 10' across the hill on my toe side and falling then trying to stand on my heel side and falling. Repeat.

Last edited:

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Three contenders: all at Squaw.
Ages ago, first day in the Masters race program and we went for first freeskiing run off Granite on a bump run. First turn, landed hard and tore off the toe piece on my brand new Blizzard SLs....long walk down to get to Shirley Chair to get back up to ridge and another long walk down to catch the Gondi ( no Funi then) download. #2: making turns down center of Siberia ( Squaw) got hit from behind by a Ski Patrol....broken ankle. Sled ride down. #3, first day of new season ( 1988 if I recall), I’d just picked up my pass and was taking first run....heading down Mtn Run and hit some exposed weeds and fell over high side. Right leg massively displaced tibial plateau fracture. Surgery that night. Season over. Worst part: my boss thought I was in Chicago at a meeting; made for a difficult phone call the next Monday though generous doses of Morphine on board at the time eased things somewhat. BTW: those were the good ol” days. Squaw gave me full credit for the pass towards the next season.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The other day that stood out was at The Gathering in Vail. Refrozen nasty snow over night and we just skied down to mid mountain. A bunch of us decided to wait it out to see of it would thaw. We shared a tequila sunrise...then another and another and an eighth or so. After many laughs we skied down to the base and called it a day.
This is the day I was going to post.
That wasn't snow, it was refrozen coral reef.
@jimmy remembers it well.
tequila sunrise.jpg

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Sorta heavy and maybe not the intent of the thread, but easy, two days in particular. One helping load a person on a sled at an industry demo day. Looking at his face, I knew he had probably already passed. He'd had a high speed impact with a tree. It was awful. Oddly enough, I took a couple of runs immediately afterward to sort my head out. Didn't know what else to do.

The other, and the worst, at the top of Powder Bowl at Crystal. I had an all mountain youth group. New snow, beautiful day, kids are pumped, then the call came from home, mom in tears telling me to come home for dad. My immediate supervisor who was skiing with us took the group and I headed down the hill... I could barely ski. Got a plane home the following evening and got a few hours with my dad before he passed.

Skiing wise, sure, I've screwed up exams, had days when I couldn't have made a turn and chewed gum at the same time, but those days are small beers bad.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mine was actually the Pugski GTG in Utah 2 years ago. I was struggling with new boots trying to make them work for most of the season leading up to the trip, so I never had a "good" day of skiing. Reverted to my old boots for the trip. Then I had the rotten luck of a snowstorm coming through my area the day before I was set to fly out. Power out for 3 days, had to cancel and rebook my flights 3 time. Finally made it out there, cooked my legs the first day (that mogul run was just too inviting), and never recovered. Ended up cutting my trip short (I had planned to stay an extra 2 days...boy was I ambitious). On top of that after I got back I finally got a diagnosis on a shoulder problem that flared up during the trip...bursitis combined with tendonitis. Got a cortizone shot and then had to do PT for 2 months just to be able to raise my hand above shoulder level.

Sponsor

Staff online