• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

World Cup Surface

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skärmavbild 2019-11-22 kl. 13.48.27.png
Hahnenkam is one of the "harder" courses and I have heard numbers of 600-800 kgs (litres) of water in every cubic metre of snow. As much as I like it firm, that's what I want in my drink. Not under my skis.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
This one is just light early on morning during coaches inspection. I know guy who took this photo, and I was there that year going down the track, and it wasn't anything really special. DH races in general are not really super bad. SL race on the other side was a bit "different", even if it didn't look like this, and when I came to press center, photo chief said "you can go on course with skis, but I still wouldn't suggest". I still went as I really hate walking up the slope, made it down just fine.. sort off :D , but wasn't really as easy as on DH track :)

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have heard numbers of 600-800 kgs (litres) of water in every cubic metre of snow. As much as I like it firm, that's what I want in my drink. Not under my skis.

Yeah, pure ice is 919 kg per cubic meter , so that is nearly pure ice....

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are they going to let you ski it after the race is over?

I have done that a number of times. The Olympic Super-G at Salt Lake was firm, but fun. The WC final GS in Sestriere look like it would not be too hard, with warming temps, but a few of the gates were real eye-openers, laid into the downhill ski and found nothing gripping.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
View attachment 85123 Hahnenkam is one of the "harder" courses and I have heard numbers of 600-800 kgs (litres) of water in every cubic metre of snow. As much as I like it firm, that's what I want in my drink. Not under my skis.
That pic captures how hard and icy really well. I have skied over at Beaver Creek weeks after the DH and the surface was still slick.
TV doesn't really show you how hard- icy the surface that perspective is lost. Kind of like golf on TV when the pros are hitting driver, the camera shots do a great job of tracing the ball in the air and they report the distances but you really don't get a perspective on how far these guys are actually hitting the ball.
If you're skiing on the WC you're the real deal for sure.

Ottoclave

Booting up
Skier
If you can't see the grass or rocks through the snow, then it's not really ice. ;) That Wengen course reminds me of Sugarloaf after one of the February thaw-rain-freeze cycles.