• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From US Ski & Snowboard:

U.S. Ski & Snowboard, the National Governing Body (NGB) of Olympic ski and snowboard sports in the USA, and Vermont’s Killington Resort, the largest ski and snowboard resort in Eastern North America and part of POWDR, have solidified a two-year agreement for Vermont’s Killington Resort to host the FIS Ski World Cup. Killington’s place on the 2019 World Cup calendar has been confirmed by the International Ski Federation (FIS). HomeLight will be the title sponsor for the next World Cup at Killington, which will take place November 30-December 1, 2019, Thanksgiving weekend.

U.S. Ski & Snowboard is eager to "Bring it home," as this year marks the first year that HomeLight, the San Francisco-based real estate technology company, will be the title sponsor for the World Cup at Killington, the Homelight Killington Cup. This event will be the only domestic stop on the World Cup tour for the women of the U.S. Ski Team, including two-time Olympic gold medalist and global superstar Mikaela Shiffrin (Edwards, Colo.). The highly anticipated event signals the beginning of the ski season for many fans.

As with the past three years of the FIS Ski World Cup, the proposed 2019 and 2020 races at Killington will be broadcast worldwide to more than 60 nations, along with national broadcast coverage across the U.S. The event has drawn an increasing number of spectators who converge in Killington each year to cheer on racers from around the world. Peaking at 40,000 spectators last year, the event is anticipated to bring millions of dollars in economic impact to the Killington Region and the state of Vermont.

“Establishing another multi-year World Cup schedule here at Killington is an incredible opportunity for the resort and the surrounding community. I continue to be blown away by the sheer size of the crowds, and their enthusiasm leads me to believe that we’ll continue to see large numbers of spectators to watch the fastest female ski racers in the world take on the Superstar trail,” says Mike Solimano, president and general manager of Killington Resort.

“We use every cold period in October and November to build a world-class race venue on Superstar, and getting the job done early in the season showcases Killington’s state-of-the-art snowmaking system as an industry-leading powerhouse while also setting us up to offer the longest season in the East. In fact, we skied into June this season for the second time in three years.”

The World Cup includes women’s giant slalom and slalom races, attracting athletes such as Shiffrin, who has emerged victorious in slalom each of the last three years at Killington, for the hat trick. "The Killington World Cup has long been a highlight of mine on the World Cup tour the last three seasons,” said Shiffrin. “In 2018 we – all of us together – set a new precedent for ski racing internationally, boasting the largest World Cup crowd for women on the entire circuit. To get that hat trick slalom victory in front of thousands of screaming fans at home is something I will never, ever forget. I'm looking forward to once again competing on home soil."

Tickets for the 2019 HomeLight Killington Cup will go on sale in August. Stay tuned to Killington and U.S. Ski & Snowboard channels for more information.

U.S. Ski & Snowboard has had a long relationship with POWDR producing World Cup and Grand Prix events at other POWDR resorts including Copper Mountain, and the collaboration for Killington’s World Cup the past three years solidified “The Beast of the East” as a strong venue for World Cup alpine ski racing to continue on the East coast.

###

About HomeLight
HomeLight empowers people to make smarter decisions when buying or selling a home. Since launching in 2010, HomeLight has connected thousands of clients with top local real estate agents, investors and online resources. With offices in San Francisco, Seattle and Phoenix, HomeLight conducts business nationwide. HomeLight is backed by Zeev Ventures, Menlo Ventures, SGVC, Citi Ventures, Bullpen Capital, Crosslink Capital, Montage Ventures, GV, Innovation Endeavors and more. For more information, visit www.homelight.com.

About Killington Resort
Killington Resort is a four-season destination sitting on 3,000 acres in the heart of Central Vermont’s Green Mountains. Killington boasts 92 miles of diverse snow sports terrain spread across six peaks including Pico Mountain, and served by the most expansive lift network and snowmaking system in Eastern North America. After the snow melts, Killington features an 18-hole championship golf course, the family-friendly Snowshed Adventure Center, 35 miles of mountain biking trails and 15 miles of hiking trails. The seemingly infinite après, dining, and lodging options have made Killington a world-class destination for East Coast skiers and riders for over 55 years. Killington is part of the POWDR adventure lifestyle portfolio. Visit www.killington.com for more information and discover more of what The Beast offers with and #beast365.

Get The Latest
Check out the latest news, events, & videos from the U.S. Ski & Snowboard teams.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well Aspen really blew it I guess.

Killington has been an excellent venue. It's a great atmosphere. People should come. Some stay away because they think it's a zoo. It's about the easiest access to an alpine race you'll ever get. I think the end of the finish is within 100 yards of the road. Most races require schlepping distances over snow. Even the first year, by the second day they'd corrected problems with buses. They've really done a good job.

I've parked down at the Skyeship on Rte 4 and taken the shuttle, and parked way up in Ramshead. Both work. Lunch down at Snowshed by hopping on the bus has bern incredibly easy and few people down there. If I had ski boots on and a ticket I'd go to the top lodge.

The other thing is, you can go for $0. There's not many world class sporting events you can go to for nothing. If you want to see the athletes before, go to the bib draw Friday night.

The Killington crowd is also very appreciative of all racers. Probably because a huge majority are involved in racing through their kids or past experience. Most stay and cheer even for the 65th starter on the first run. That's unusual. The athlete's really appreciate it and another reason they love the venue.

You can also ski before, in between runs, and after the event. Either way it's a good time and a rare opportunity.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Yes, everything that James says. We have gone the past 2 years and it's all true. I hate crowds but it's seamless. I recommend parking at the satellite parking places and shuttling over as they have that system down. Love the village too with all the venders. The excitement is palpable and it's a great way to officially kick off the season.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah between Killington and Ludlow you also have a huge concentration of ski shops to get geared up for the season. At Killington they start way down by rtes 100/4, go through Aspen East on rte 4, Base Camp Outfitters at the base of the access road on rte 4, then all up the access road. It's an incredible array of shops all slightly different. From back country skiing, Base Camp, to racing with everything in between. Including moguls, Forerunner, which is extremely rare. Pretty much everything is covered.
Last season the snow was amazing in November. I think we were 100% or nearly, open. That's unusual.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We had a great time at the event last year. I hadn't been to Killington in a while and it was still pretty easy to get around. Lots of fun skiing, watching the races, and hanging out watching the bands. Even watching the Patriots Jets game at the bar was a good time with lots of energetic fans.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm so happy for Killlington. We are up in the air as to if we are going our not. We've gone the past 2 years so I might need a break. I'd like to get my on snow training out of the way at Bromley and 2 years in a row for the cup is great so ready to hang at the condo and ski Magic/bromley. Waiting to see if Michael, Tracey and Miss B want to go and then we'll decide. It is so much fun. The race trail is right there, the grand stands are right there and the village is right there and the sections of the mountain that are easily accessible to the base lodge where the race is so it couldn't be any easier to do/see it all. I do prefer the paid seating only because those grandstands are RIGHT in front of the bottom of superstar and the free seats are over a bit. We'll probably end up going.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
1903C5C6-2C31-48AB-826E-48E581663488.jpeg
We have attended the past few years and it’s been a fantastic event.

I did not think they were going to pull it off this
Year so we scheduled an early season race camp in Colorado.

We WILL however be there for 2020!!!

Love this photo....one of our U16s snapped this on day one. You can see all the other girls standing there star struck in Mikaela’s goggle reflection.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
@James, the FIS told Aspen that they would not have an event until they replaced Lift 1A. It has been a long fight to obtain approvals from the town to get the lift replaced, but approval (for lift replacement coupled with development, what else?) was secured in March via an election (which won by 26! votes). Construction will not start until the spring of 2021, so don't expect any world cup racing in Aspen for a while...

Mike

James

Out There
Instructor
@James, the FIS told Aspen that they would not have an event until they replaced Lift 1A. It has been a long fight to obtain approvals from the town to get the lift replaced, but approval (for lift replacement coupled with development, what else?) was secured in March via an election (which won by 26! votes). Construction will not start until the spring of 2021, so don't expect any world cup racing in Aspen for a while...

Mike
Plus Ruthie's lodge was deemed a disaster right?. An interim solution would have been to replace the chair and fix the on hill lodge. At this point the lift is pushing 50yrs old. That would have held fis off. They tied the whole thing to that hotel at the bottom, and it took forever. Plus, a museum at the bottom? Will there be anyplace for people to get booted up besides another tiny dungeon like space like under the gondola?

Aspen did the wcup a favor. By switching to Killington, they stumbled onto the most attended event on the women's circuit.

LowPressureKarl

Putting on skis
Skier

Mike

The race will never return to Aspen.

The whole “Save the World Cup” campaign by Gorsuch Haus was just smoke and mirrors to divert attention away from the fact that they wanted to build a hotel, on land zoned conservation.
In fact, by building the Gorsuch Haus, at the bottom of the venue. They will actually prevent the race from ever coming back to Aspen. They will never be able to get the material necessary to hold the race, up the now much narrower South Aspen Street, on to snowcats and then up the narrower, realigned Summer Road.

Construction on Gorsuch Haus won’t start in 2021, if ever.

James

Out There
Instructor
The race will never return to Aspen.

The whole “Save the World Cup” campaign by Gorsuch Haus was just smoke and mirrors to divert attention away from the fact that they wanted to build a hotel, on land zoned conservation.
In fact, by building the Gorsuch Haus, at the bottom of the venue. They will actually prevent the race from ever coming back to Aspen. They will never be able to get the material necessary to hold the race, up the now much narrower South Aspen Street, on to snowcats and then up the narrower, realigned Summer Road.

Construction on Gorsuch Haus won’t start in 2021, if ever.
I haven't followed it, but the whole thing just smacks of this type of influence. What a waste. But, we'll stick a museum in it.

Sponsor