• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The name was sold legally years ago. Don't ask me if that made sense, why, how. Thing is, no one even cares at this point.
Some info here maybe.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/is-hart-on-life-support.7986/
Everyone's life is built upon a patchwork of experiences and paths crossed. My time with hart is part of that fabric of what makes Pugski.com what it is today. The fantastic artwork what we see here is brought to you by @Dave Petersen who he and I met we we both worked with hart. Pugski would be a lot more boring without Dave.
I have talked many hours with Hart Holberg's grandson on the direction of the name and I will say hindsight is 20/20 and there are changes that I am sure he would go back and make again. But we all have regrets, and we all would make changes in many past decisions. As I said, in an alternate time line, we could be talking about hart like we talk about Kastle, because when the venture capitalist group who reintroduced Kastle were also looking at the hart name.

Tekweezle

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the responses.

So of the skis I own, which do you think by characteristics makes the best bump ski. The answer could be none of them but I'm curious of your opinions.

K2 Axis 167-70mm waist
K2 Public Enemy 169-86 mm waist but heavy as heck!
Icelantic Pilgrim 169-93mm waist supposedly a powder ski with a wood core. Fairly soft and not great on groomed hard pack
Salomon Scream Limited 170-80mm waist, a touring ski with very little side cut. I think foam core, a little soft but my most versatile ski.
Fischer Watea 179-120 mm - very heavy, stiff because of titanium metal reinforced, also a powder ski very little side cut. That stiffness makes it actually halfway decent on hard pack and groomed snow.

I am about 5 9, 205 lbs. I'm not a real proficient Mogul skier but just looking for ideas of what type of ski characteristics I should be looking for should I want to add a ski of that type

skiii

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the responses.

I am about 5 9, 205 lbs. I'm not a real proficient Mogul skier but
...you own several pairs of ski and care enough to ask for detailed information so you will become proficient.

For me, I only need a bump ski if I want to push my limits, in just the right conditions. Even in the all-day mogul clinic I took at Winter Park this season, neither I, any of the other guys, nor the instructor used bump skis on the Mary Jane runs (<> and <><>). I was happy on my 86 Fischer Pro MTN (discontinued) in 2 inches of fresh.

Too stiff no good; too soft no good. Light swing weight helps me a lot at 150 lbs. Don't forget boots: Race boots no good, but I gave up on Full Tilt when I found Fischer 130 Vacuum's for $300 molded. The FT's just get soft fast...

Last edited:

skiii

Booting up
Skier
FD: The hart F17 Classics from 2013 were fine for my recreational mogul purposes, held up well, and were fairly priced at year-end. We adults never worry about graphicsogwink but no problem there either.

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Enjoyed reading through this thread again so will bump it up with an update. In January 2020 moved on from my 2011 Twisters (65mm at boot 168cm) to a midfat, the Nordica 2020 Santa Ana 88's at 165cm. A gal friend about my size was on some Black Pearl 88's and seemed fine skiing bumps smoothly that got me interested as I would welcome a model that also allowed wider skiing across the mountain. So after Tricia and Amy provided positive reviews that seemed to fit that need, I purchased that model and within a few days with some adjustments knew I'd found my next primary ski. For a few days I didn't think it was better in bumps than the Twisters, however with more days in being a bigger tool, I've taken my bump skiing up to another level of smoothness. On fresh powder days though ain't nearly as fun as my 173cm 2012 Rossi S7's (112mm at boot), I can still lay down fine SSS tracks. And is definitely with its greater width is more a tool and fun on groomed, firmer, and uneven snow.

Thus can recommend it to at least other lighter men and women that already have recreational mogul skiing skills instead of wondering where to move onto with the lack of mogul skis. On November 24, my single day of skiing this pandemic winter, after a couple warmup runs down a 1k groomed run, on my third run, first bump run of this season for this senior after not skiing for 7+ months, and in just modest physical condition, was able to smoothy ski non-stop the fall line 850 feet of vertical down intermediate and advanced bumps that says much to how my mind has grown into the ski. The above noted, as someone without experience on other midfat skis, I would expect there are also some other midfats that can supply a similar rec bump experience.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have some K2 Cabrawler 179s in the box taking a ride up tomorrow. Odds are they will stay there in lieu of the older 80 waist Salamom 1080s. I'll decide which one to ski when I get there tomorrow. Probably depends on coverage and park options.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
So what's the advantage of a narrow waisted dedicated mogul ski? There must be one. Is it better on hard moguls of the sort that competitions are held on?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So what's the advantage of a narrow waisted dedicated mogul ski? There must be one. Is it better on hard moguls of the sort that competitions are held on?
Edge to edge transition is much quicker. Flipping it back and forth side to side way easier. Tighter spaced bumps more than hard versus soft bumps.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Edge to edge transition is muck quicker. Flipping it back and forth side to side way easier. Tighter spaced bumps more than hard versus soft bumps.
That makes sense. I bought a pair of Volkl Dragon Slayers (FIS mogul comp) this summer because there were so cheap ... and just because. They have new bindings (narrow brakes had to be found) and are ready to go. Our bumps here in New England are almost never those big nicely spaced soft things we see videos of pro skiers on out west. We have ice bumps more frequently than not.

"Flipping them back and forth side to side" is what I was thinking. Top sheets are targeted at boys.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ski moguls in CO right now at your own risk. You will hit something other than snow on every turn. :geek:
Ya, rocks in the troughs have sent me over the bars more than once. More importantly, the K2 Cabrawlers are probably the ski I'd most hate wrecking. They're old, but still in excellent condition. It's not easy to find a good bump ski that I can afford. Those 1080s are also in good shape but a $10 thrift store aquisiton and always my first choice for poor coverage conditions.. I'd laugh and move the pivots to another ski if I wreck them..

Chessie

Booting up
Skier
After listening to those who know what they're talking about, the plate does nothing for you that you want in the bumps. In fact, Pivot bindings (the go-to for bump skiing) are exactly opposite from a plate: close to the running surface, allow more natural flex, etc.)
Yes, a tech who works with WC mogul skuers told me that they get their standard GripWalk front base plates on their Pivots replaced by the Alpine version