• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

World Cup DHI 2017

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Actually, that was his Huck Norris flopping around behind his bike.

What a sick race, huh? I was super impressed by Gee finishing 30th after dislocating his hip. What an iron man.

I thought he used Flat Tire Defenders?

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Could be, what ever it is, it was not attached to his wheel anymore. Dirt magazine actually did a profile on what all the big guys (that would tell) are running in their tires. Gwen says he cut a sidewall on a rock, so it really doesn't matter what he had inside it. Sick run no matter how you look at it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Lenzerheide coming up this Saturday. Here's Rachel's winning run from last year.
Anyone want to make a prediction? I'm calling Minnaar and Seagrave.

I keep thinking about this video. I want to ride like her when I grow up.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
That's twice this season Gwin was heading into the homestretch the sure fired winner only to have it slip away.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
For a few years there was a World Cup stop at Bromine just more than an hour North of us. The track was open year round, so I had "ridden" it a few times. To see Sam Hill ride it was just - mind bending. If you just jump everything, apparently it really smooths out the roots! That track was really hard though, more than half the girls were walking sections during their race runs.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Yes. Did you guys all watch it yet? What you might not have gotten from the TV feed is just how much conditions changed throughout the race. There was about a 20 minute break in the action after Greg Williamson's run. It was raining lightly for the women's race, but the rocks in the woods could still be considered "dry". By the start of the men's race they were damp and the dirt outside the wood was in pretty nice shape. That said, the guys coming through had some pretty nasty looking goggles. By the time the live feed was on, the rocks had rivers running down them. What is amazing is that out of 80 men and 15 women we saw maybe two or three people crash. The top guys didn't look any slower than in practice. Some of them may have been taking "safer" lines, Gwin was the only one to take a higher line where we were watching. When the TV break came up, I looked at my start list and I figured there was pretty good odds that Mike Jones would have won the race. It just seemed that there was no way anyone could have a good run after the heavens opened the way they did. I had an umbrella and a rain coat and I was still soaked!

We were up at MSA from Wednesday until this morning. One observation is that it seemed like there were record numbers of flats this year. Just as an example, Marine Cabirou flatted in both practice runs and her finals run yesterday. She was running inserts of some kind, but it sure wasn't helping. It makes you wonder what the secret formula is. How much of it is the rim, the tire, insert, sealant, suspension tune, spoke tension, line choice, etc.? Some people were constantly getting hit. SC Syndicate made it through the whole weekend without a single flat and they weren't riding slow. I could not believe that Loris never got one. You'd wince from the sound every time he passed. Luca Shaw's mechanic showed me one cracked rims that they had replaced before qualifying, but he made it to the bottom and didn't lose air.

1st year senior Gaetan Vige just before qualifying
DSC_5244.jpg

1st year junior Kade Edwards off the diving board in qualifying - this kid is nuts. He was at the waterfall with us on Thursday. What happens in Canada stays in Canada I guess.
DSC_5280.jpg

Taegan Molloy riding the Stevie Smith drop. She has had a pretty rough season and was so happy to come through quails in tenth and back it up with the same in finals. Though there is a B-line for the Stevie Smith drop, it looks like you'd lose a good 20 seconds on it. Pretty much the only people that we saw take it were on flats or were so over their heads that they had gone to hospital or quit riding by Friday.
DSC_5385.jpg

Greg Minnaar entering the 1st slab section (Les Dalles) in qualifying.
DSC_5397.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rachel Atherton's 5 second save was astounding:
And Gwin. Geez. Last year he won without a chain. This year he wins in horribly worse conditions than the earlier riders. The guy has some serious mojo going.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bruni!!!!! Finally the smoothest rider on the circuit wins again. Bruni and Remi (whose earlier crash this season is one of the scary things I've seen..) have been my favorite riders for a few years. Here's to good looking, high flying, smooth riding French dudes!

Great season

Sponsor