• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

World Cup 2021?

James

Out There
Instructor
Is it going to happen?
Fis seems to be acting like it

They announced the Championships in Cortina for 2021. Will there actually be a season?

They’re also taking invitations for accreditation access for team coaches, techs, etc.
———————————-
  • Due to the current situation with Covid-19, FIS will not issue season course access leg bands, due to regulations which will vary between countries in each country. Course access will be distributed on site only. It will be necessary to fill out the form (Link form) latest 3h before the Team Captains Meeting (TCM). This allocated access will be available at the Race Office after the first TCM.
  • This season there is no season access for the Restricted Area (RA). The Technical Operations Managers will distribute the access form on site.
————————————-
www.fis-ski.com

2020/2021 FIS Season Accreditation online registration opens
Killington is 28,29 November.

Summer inspection of Jasna, for a Womens race in March 2021, has been completed. So, they’re moving ahead as if there’ll be a season.
www.fis-ski.com

Summer inspections started, Jasna (SVK) is getting ready

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
FIS is also working with the various National federations to obtain the necessary Visa's to travel throughout Europe as necessary, and obviously for them to come to the USA, should we hold the normal events at Beaver Creek and Kilington. To pull this off, you need athletes.

This is no small endeavor, as it includes the athletes, the coaches, physios, techs, and the management/marketing group. Then think about that for each country. Will the entourage and the overall show be as it has been? I assume no, but I do not know that at all.

Before you say "no way" on the Visa's, pretty good rumor that a handful of Americans already have them approved and in the works. Now in terms of the tour coming here...that earns to be seen. I'm assuming no.

I was speaking to one of the head USST coaches, and he is NOT real excited about this, as of now. Was discussing how thy normally travel in Europe. One example, every mean tends to be a buffet. A second, rare is the venue where you do not get up the hill by tram, or train...maybe a gondola.

They all want a season. Some nervousness, and rumor wise, a lot of folks nervous about the Americans, and about coming here to race. The big attraction at Killington is the crowd, NOT the hill.

We'll see. I hope that all of the USST comes out of their recent training with no positive tests. Their training at Hood, BTW, is not up to snuff with Europe. Too bad that South America is closed down, as this is already a huge snow year there. to no avail......

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I think they can do it if the athletes agree to the rules. NHL is managing, it means bubbles and testing and no crowds essentially. I'm sure the television money is significantly higher than the gate proceeds in FIS events..

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
think they can do it if the athletes agree to the rules. NHL is managing,
Baseball has been a near disaster.
I suppose they’re hanging on. Even after 17 Marlins tested positive. So, 4 people in NZ test positive, they lock the whole country down.

Then you get guys like Zach Plesac of Cleveland, after pitching gooes out in Chicago, violating protocol. He was busted by the covid compliance “officer”, because he came in at 3am. The partner in crime, Clevinger, didn't get busted because he didn’t come back to the hotel at all! He got on the team plane, because no one except he and Plesac knew. Plesac was given a rental car to drive back.

Even worse, one of their team mates has had cancer, putting him in the serious comorbidity realm.

So, what does it take?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
we have multiple countries training at our indoor facility theese days according to newspaper, so people are in training.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Depends on the TV money I'd guess.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think they can do it if the athletes agree to the rules. NHL is managing, it means bubbles and testing and no crowds essentially. I'm sure the television money is significantly higher than the gate proceeds in FIS events..
Perhaps more relevant than NHL, MotoGP is approaching the third race of a compressed season. Races were moved closer together, both geographically (Europe only) and in time. I think there's been one report of a positive TV staffer but otherwise I haven't heard of any issues.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will European countries require 14 day quarantine for athletes returning from Beaver Creek and Lake Louise? That would seriously mess with the current schedule. Will Vermont allow people from all over the world to compete at Killington without a quarantine period? From what I have seen during the pandemic, they have been very careful about such things. I can go there now because I live in approved county, but I’m not sure that would apply to hundreds of people arriving from Europe. Pulling off the WC in Cortina is probably a high priority for FIS. Having athletes, coaches, techs and so on test positive will put WC at risk. They can minimize that risk to some extent by limiting this season’s races to Europe, cutting out intercontinental airline travel and time spent in airports with hundreds or thousands of people from all over the place. I think the North American races will not happen this year even though it leaves a big hole in the calendar.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Will European countries require 14 day quarantine for athletes returning from Beaver Creek and Lake Louise? That would seriously mess with the current schedule. Will Vermont allow people from all over the world to compete at Killington without a quarantine period?
You could get around this with a negative test.
Even now, Vermont “allows” a 7 day quarantine and thena negative test. I could easily see this going to two negative tests in 48-72 hours, or even one test.

So, for travel, no one gets on the plane without a negative test. This is how air travel should be anyway. More readon for massive quantities of cheap, rapid testing.

France requires a negative test within 72 hrs, or on arrival, now.

———————
Rob and all other passengers of the AF87 flight from San Francisco had to produce a recent negative Covid-19 test or face a compulsory nasal test on arrival. French authorities implemented this policy of on-arrival Covid-19 tests starting August 1 after establishing a list of 16 high-risk countries. The list includes the United States, Brazil, Algeria, Turkey, India, Israel, South Africa, Kuweit, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, Panama, Madagascar, Peru, Qatar, Oman and Serbia.
———————

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
France requires a negative test within 72 hrs, or on arrival, now.
No quarantine required with the test. Problem is getting the test results prior to the flight-I took my test this morning, quoted up to 7 days for results. Quick care clinics and doc's offices here won't do a test without a regular doctor appointment and symptoms of COVID. They refer you to the Health dept testing which is fairly widespread, however, it generally takes at least a week for a reservation, and it the results are as stated above- up to 7 days. We shall see how that works for my Saturday flight.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No quarantine required with the test. Problem is getting the test results prior to the flight-I took my test this morning, quoted up to 7 days for results. Quick care clinics and doc's offices here won't do a test without a regular doctor appointment and symptoms of COVID. They refer you to the Health dept testing which is fairly widespread, however, it generally takes at least a week for a reservation, and it the results are as stated above- up to 7 days. We shall see how that works for my Saturday flight.
Where is "here"?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
So, for travel, no one gets on the plane without a negative test. This is how air travel should be anyway. More readon for massive quantities of cheap, rapid testing.

France requires a negative test within 72 hrs, or on arrival, now
That only means you’re not infectious NOW (or 72 hrs ago). What if you were already infected, but was still incubating?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That only means you’re not infectious NOW (or 72 hrs ago). What if you were already infected, but was still incubating?
Well it's always about risk profile, not certainty. You can never entirely get certainty. France has decided that a test within 72 hours lowers the risk enough.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Well it's always about risk profile, not certainty. You can never entirely get certainty. France has decided that a test within 72 hours lowers the risk enough.
This is the basic idea- limit risk to whatever they feel is acceptable/reasonable in their opinions. Nothing is certain in these cases. If a traveler is afraid of the risk, they always have the option to stay home.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
France had decided that was helpful.

But if you think about it, once a person is showing symptoms, they know they’re sick. Chances are they won’t travel (except those running for home, but those would be French nationals, not athletes or tourists going to France).

So, what the window that test will be catch anything? The couple days BEFORE they show symptoms. Too early, it would come in as negative, yet they may have already become infectious 72hrs after their negative results.

The real potential benefit I can see, are asymptomatic carriers, which is about 30% of the infected. But only during a period when they’re infectious, except we don’t have a clue as to how infectious asymptomatic carriers are and for how long they’re infectious.

Much of the contact tracing (done in countries with low enough cases for it to be doable) points to most of the infectious people are PRE-symptomatic, not asymptomatic. The 72 hr seems too long to be all that helpful. Yes, they have to accept that many country don’t provide fast turn around test results. Unfortunately, that long window really diminishes the usefulness of the testing.

Last edited:

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Thank you, I had completely forgotten about testing. This seems potentially doable to me now if there is a strong protocol with fast turnaround for results like professional sports teams currently have. Maybe require a second negative test a few days later.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Thus all the talk of massive amounts of cheap, rapid tests. You’d test everyday or every 2-3 days, depending.
MLB tests players every other day I believe, but they have to send the samples to Utah.

Even if you don’t have cheap testing, teams could have Abott ID Now machines or the like. 15-25 minutes. Not cheap.
It’s doable.

Edit- changed it to every other day. Then if there’s s positive in your contacts, it’s every day. Then you need two negatives to go back.

Last edited:

Sponsor