• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@Noodler, no doubt that Mikeala is the best women's skier in the world right now. But that doesn't mean she should get the crystal globe -- she had to be present to compete and prove it. Life happens, whether it is weather, sickness/injury, bad luck, good luck, or mental health, etc. It is a competition and determined by who shows up, competes, wins, places, is persistent, lucky, good, successful, unlucky, and all the rest of it.

Congrats to Brignone -- she earned it and deserves it.

Mike

Never said she should get the globe unless it is won on the mountain. Only said that FB gets an "asterisk" on this overall win. I have stated that FB has skied a fantastic shortened season (best of her career), but I guarantee that even in her own mind, it is marred by the fact that she did not "directly" win it against MS due to the accidental death and the global pandemic. There is no doubt that others have those thoughts also.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I highly doubt in 10 years FB even remembers MS being out for a portion of the year. While I'm sure she would've liked to go head to head with her more, none of the professional athletes I know and have ever known would consider there to be an asterisk with their victory.

Even Steven Bradbury from Australia doesn't consider his Olympic short track win needing as asterisk.....he will say he was a fortunate beneficiary of the circumstances but it no way lessens his win.

BClipped

Booting up
Skier
"If" doesn't matter. I'm sick of these ifs listening some tv commentators in biathlon telling "if s/he wouldn't miss x shoots, s/he would be this and that". Well my favorite reply is, if I would be skiing faster when I was still racing, I would have won Olympics. And everyone laugh on that as it would be ridiculous. Truth is, it really is ridiculous, but it's just as ridiculous as any other if. Maybe Shiffrin would won if her father wouldn't died. Maybe she wouldn't. But it really doesn't matter what if. Fact is she didn't win it. Brignone won fair and square and there's no asterix/less important/who gives a shit win, but just as important and as fair as any other globe in past.

Hear, hear! As the saying goes, “With enough ’ifs’, a mouse can lift an elephant ;)

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nope. Just saying no asterisk to her win.
As she did have the most points when the season ended.

Can play the “what if” game all day and it would be meaningless. Yes Shiffrin could’ve won but she could’ve also went out, got injured, etc. It’s sport, things happen.

Who else would’ve bet the farm Shiffrin would win SL gold at most recent Olympics? Yet no gold for her in that event. Similarly who would’ve thought Ledeka was going to take home SG gold?

In sport what if’s are meaningless. The actual result matters more.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Below a summary of all the women's globe winners of the 2019/20 Season
  • Overall World Cup Winner: Federica Brignone (ITA)
  • Slalom World Cup Winner: Petra Vlhova (SVK)
  • Giant Slalom World Cup Winner: Federica Brignone (ITA)
  • Super G World Cup Winner: Corinne Suter (SUI)
  • Downhill World Cup Winner: Corinne Suter (SUI)
  • Alpine Combined World Cup Winner: Federica Brignone (ITA)
  • Parallel World Cup Winner: Petra Vlhova (SVK)
  • Longines Rising Ski Star: Alice Robinson (NZL)
  • Women's Nations Cup Winner: Italian
  • Best Ski Manufacturer Award: Rossignol

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FIS has just put up a list of alpine skiers who retired at the end of the 2019-20 season. It's a bittersweet moment at the best of times, worse now. I'm listing the women here and will post the men in the men's thread:
- Christina Ackermann (GER)
- Ana Drev (SLO)
- Nina Haver-Løseth (NOR)
- Johanna Schnarf (ITA)
- Tina Weirather (LIE)

James

Out There
Instructor
Sad to see Weirather go.
Because of injuries to many, we missed out on seeing the competition in a field that at one time could have included Maze, Weirather, Anna Veith, Vonn, and Schiffrin.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seeing those women competing against each other would have been incredible. Alas, it is the nature of ski racing that injuries wreck this kind of scenario.

Sponsor

Staff online