• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
So do people think Kilde can hang on for globe? I’m partial towards the motherland so as long as it is Kilde or HK, I’m happy.

Wanted HK to win big after MH retired, but a race to the wire like this is interesting - and if close would love to see Kilde win. Very nice guy.

253E47B8-298E-420D-BFF6-C1DC7658CAF6.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
At this point, my vote is also for Kilde for the overall globe.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Remaining races ( I think, looking at Wikipedia instead of FIS) are 4 gs 3 sl 3 sg 2 dh 1 ac. I think this (slightly depending on how Kilde fares in remaining gs) favors Pinturault who has ~170 point advantage over Kilde. Probably depends too whether Kvitfjell and Cortina play to Kilde’s strengths compared to the other speed skiers (possibly needs multiple podium finishes in these races to have a shot) and whether AP and HK can achieve consistently good results in the remaining tech races which has not always been the case this season. Should be an exciting finish.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
How do they justify the inequity between the possible points available in the tech events vs. the speed events? You would think they would divide the points up equally across the available events.

And don't get me started about the format of the parallel GS races... :nono:

James

Out There
Instructor
Looked warm in Japan.
The decision to skip China appears now to have been smart. They might still be there.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Hirscher type 2nd run for Zubcic!

SL coming up, hope the course holds up.
E0D3CAD8-7E7E-4953-B0A2-6F4EF61B01BC.jpeg

With that in mind...
Yule
HK
Schwarz

Luke Winters goes 49th & Tommy Ford last.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A question to all of you who follow and study WC racing.
What is the purpose of the multi outside hand pump thing? I understand dropping it quickly to transfer more pressure to the outside ski but lifting it to do a second one weems like it would reduce pressure on the ski. What All 3 racers who podiumed above did it to one extent or another but why?

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
A question to all of you who follow and study WC racing.
What is the purpose of the multi outside hand pump thing? I understand dropping it quickly to transfer more pressure to the outside ski but lifting it to do a second one weems like it would reduce pressure on the ski. What All 3 racers who podiumed above did it to one extent or another but why?
are you asking about the arm swing?
I really think it is just a timing thing. It coincides with the moment that the racer wants to bend the Ski and juice the turn. At the same time the racer needs to make sure that his arm squeezes around the gate and does not get caught which adds to the effect. The arms & poles are secondary balancing mechanisms and often don’t really disturb the stability of the upper body but are just reacting to what the legs and feet are doing. I also don’t believe this is a conscious technique that a racer practices outside the gates.

Although the skis are already at high edge angles, Ted is waiting for the right moment to bend the ski
56AB4826-68CA-40D1-A368-7161692DADD0.jpeg

& carve the turn. As the arms comes in it helps to tighten the turn (conservation of angular momentum or something like that).
FC6BD6A5-F3E9-4951-BB4D-AD8876D37C0D.jpeg

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@4ster No I get the arm going up at transition and dropping quickly as the turn progresses. Tucking the inside shoulder to clear the gate as closely as possible got it.

Look at the Ford video above. He passes the gate and it is like he is tapping his downhill pole on the snow again; it seems most noticeable on the steeper parts of the course. All 3 racers do it to one extent or another. Is this a drill being carried over into the race course to keep the skier on the outside ski longer, like a pole drag exercise you would do with an intermediate student. Just seems kind of odd to see this from guys that are off the charts great.

This is simply a curious mind kind of question. :huh: Thank you for your response

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Look at the Ford video above. He passes the gate and it is like he is tapping his downhill pole on the snow again; it seems most noticeable on the steeper parts of the course.
Okay yeah, I see what you are seeing. Probably just a product of the bumpy, inconsistent double ruts in the soft snow. :huh:
Ford is such a solid skier, nice to see him on the podium again after a "not so great" first run !

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Okay yeah, I see what you are seeing. Probably just a product of the bumpy, inconsistent double ruts in the soft snow. :huh:
Ford is such a solid skier, nice to see him on the podium again after a "not so great" first run !
... looks like it's just a pole plant/touch move ...

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Bad Bob
That is a result of bringing the arms together to clear the gate. They ski with long poles and high edge angle, so when you clear the gate by bringing your arms forward your poles will touch the ground. Really nothing more to it than that.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kilde DNF’ed so Pinturault is back in the race for the overall. Fun season!

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Yeah, bummer for Kilde but props to Pinturault, Mayer, Caviezel & Kriechmayer!

Sponsor