• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Darn

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Pass Pulled
Glad I didn't waste money on that vile NBC Snowpass. It worked out fine with a VPN as YouTube had lots of race coverage you could watch with the sound off, no different than what you pay those crooks for.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad I didn't waste money on that vile NBC Snowpass. It worked out fine with a VPN as YouTube had lots of race coverage you could watch with the sound off, no different than what you pay those crooks for.
They're crooks because they provide a service to show races that aren't otherwise available for some people? And dare to charge money for it?

Or is there another rationale?

Darn

Pass Pulled
They're crooks because they provide a service to show races that aren't otherwise available for some people? And dare to charge money for it?

Or is there another rationale?

Considering previous years they covered the same event schedule for a mere $5 upgrade to my cable bill versus $70 now I'm saying there's something wrong somewhere in that chain.

Unless you want to argue free market economics here, in which case I'd side with the people promoting social harmony and love of sport being worthy of support over "what the market will bear".

I'd expound but I have to go bleach my skis.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Below a summary of all the mens globe winners of the 2019/20 Season
  • Overall World Cup Winner: Aleksander Aamodt Kilde (NOR)
  • Slalom World Cup Winner: Henrik Kristoffersen (NOR)
  • Giant Slalom World Cup Winner: Henrik Kristoffersen (NOR)
  • Super G World Cup Winner: Mauro Caviezel (SUI)
  • Downhill World Cup Winner: Beat Feuz (SUI)
  • Alpine Combined World Cup Winner: Alexis Pinturault (FRA)
  • Parallel World Cup Winner: Loic Meillard (SUI)
  • Longines Rising Ski Star: Clement Noel (FRA)
  • Overall Nations Cup Winner: Suisse
  • Best Ski Manufacturer Award: Rossignol

James

Out There
Instructor
HK got two globes!! Hirscher retiring...priceless.
How did Pintu get skunked?

Darn

Pass Pulled
So, now that nobody has commented on anything for a few days, how did this "lumping all the WC threads into one master" work out?

Seems like only a dozen people are participating. And only half are regulars.

It was pretty clumsy to navigate on the phone. I would prefer the messier organic approach to be honest, I think there would be more interaction and fun. I mean does it matter if the forum is messy as long as people don't use bad words? It's not like we're writing history books here.

If forums attract older people, and Facebook attracts older people, where are the younger people congregating online? Snide comments on Slalom Tokyo Drift and private text messages?

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I thought this format worked great but I guess I started it ;) , so of course I’m going to say that. I felt like I never missed anything and everything was easy to find.
I think there were probably more people checking in than were actually posting but I haven’t looked at the statistics.
Originally, I thought we would try one thread for all World Cup but @Muleski suggested separating the men and the women & I think that ended up being the right move.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Seems like only a dozen people are participating. And only half are regulars.

It was pretty clumsy to navigate on the phone. I would prefer the messier organic approach to be honest, I think there would be more interaction and fun. I mean does it matter if the forum is messy as long as people don't use bad words? It's not like we're writing history books here.
What format is the organic approach?

A thread for evety race is ridiculous. Way too many threads, plus general posts have no where to go.
We only get a few talking about this in general. I would bet a fair percentage of site users don’t know what the world cup is. “Soccer, right?”

The men, women format worked ok. There is an issue where to put general comments on racing and the cup. It’s certainly better than a thread for each race.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought this format worked great but I guess I started it ;) , so of course I’m going to say that. I felt like I never missed anything and everything was easy to find.
I think there were probably more people checking in then were actually posting but I haven’t looked at the statistics.
Originally, I thought we would try one thread for all World Cup but @Muleski suggested separating the men and the women & I think that ended up being the right move.
I agree, I thought the format worked really well. Now how do we get more people to participate?!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I liked the approach for this season and think it should continue. I definitely don't want a bunch of separate threads.

Stats-wise:
Men's thread: 572 posts, 23K views (40X views to posts)
Women's thread: 766 posts, 39K views (50X views to posts)

Those are pretty high view counts, given the number of posts. For example, the Colorado seasonal thread is very popular, and is at 2K posts, and 56K views, for a 28X views to posts ratio.

James

Out There
Instructor
I liked the approach for this season and think it should continue. I definitely don't want a bunch of separate threads.

Stats-wise:
Men's thread: 572 posts, 23K views (40X views to posts)
Women's thread: 766 posts, 39K views (50X views to posts)

Those are pretty high view counts, given the number of posts. For example, the Colorado seasonal thread is very popular, and is at 2K posts, and 56K views, for a 28X views to posts ratio.
Interesting, higher than I’d expect.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think because many appreciated the posts of those with relevant knowledge and insight.

I know I did my best to subscribe to the idea that if I didn’t have anything notable to contribute, I stayed as an observer.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I think that the two threads worked quite well. I cut back on my posting, as I have mentioned, because I'm quite close to things, and was actually asked not to post by friends/family. That aside, the two seemed easy to follow, as they are chronological, just like the cup schedule.

I also think that having a separate thread for Mikaela S prevents the women's WC discussion form getting bogged down with discussion related to her. She is such a big factor in the sport that, IMO, her own thread makes sense.

I might consider a thread dedicated to the USST, and a thread dedicated to WC/race equipment, as those two things can somewhat derail the WC discussion.

All in all, I thought it was "good stuff", good "conversation."

Last edited:

skifastDDS

AKA doublediamond223
Skier
I’ve really enjoyed these threads and the inside information that’s presented. I don’t post because I don’t really have anything to add, but I’ve followed them closely all year.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe would should have next season-

• fantasy ski racing teams or
  • Picking the 1,2,3 for races. Points and a prize at the end (hmmm, in the event of ties, we go by times...:ogbiggrin:
It’s not that hard to pick, it’s all a bit of a guess to some degree with some big exceptions. You can use the rankings or bib #’s. Your 1,2,3 are going to be in the top 15 most of the time. Note to NBC Olympics - “most” does not mean “all”, with their egregious acting like the race was totally over. Still sad that Anna Veith got 2nd by .01 seconds.

Sponsor

Staff online