• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Blue sky, cold, aggressive snow. March is the sane
we'll keep this as men only, per thread.

4 races remaining (1 per discipline). Mathematically, four possible overall winners - Pinterault, Kilde (-16), HK (-107), Mayer (-332). Mayer's out.

I assume Pinterault will race in all 4 races, Kilde probably in 3, unless he has a lead going into the Kranjska Gora SL and could seal it with a point or 2. HK I'm guessing is only racing in Kranjska Gora, so I think he's basically done unless Kilde really chokes in Norway and Pinterault has a really disappointing GS in Kranjska Gora.

The discipline globes are interesting for SG, GS, SL:

DH - Feuz (with no finals, this is confirmed)
SG - 5 people with a theoretical shot: Caviezel, Kreichmayer (-3), Kilde (-29), Mayer (-41), Jansrud (-60). Don't see Jansrud really having a shot, but I think the other 4 do. Really comes down to the last race.
GS - Really down to the last race for these 4: HK, Pintu (-6), Zubcic (-26), Kranjec (-30).
SL - 3 with a shot: HK, Noel (-2), Yule (-57). Final race of the year. Should be fun. Edge HK on that hill in March, IMO.
AC (Pintu; his 6th!) and Parallel (Meillard) globes are locked up, and nobody cares. Actually, not sure if Parallel gets a globe this year or not.

They could fly them all to Åre and wrap it up there. I know the Åre organisatuon is eager to help.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
The cancellation really hurts Kilde and he will take last weeks’s fall to his grave without a big globe. Sigh.

Who would have thought all this could happen (Shifty’s Dad, Virus) to impact the results this way?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
This will be interesting.

Kilde has been consistently much stronger than ever with his GS. He is also a serious competitor. If betting, I would think he can grab 40-45 points. That would put him at roughly 1250. He might, by some miracle score a point or two in SL.

That would put him over 200 points ahead of where HK now sits. HK has one SL win and one GS win this season. He needs his best, and probably needs a horrible day by Kilde.

Pintu sits 54 points behind Kilde, and 107 ahead of HK.

All of these guys want the Globe. Pintu needs two, for him, good races, and he grabs it, IMO.

Would love to see it work out that on the Sunday SL things are such that HK is still in it, but only with a win. And only if Pintu is far back...say 10 plus.

Right down to the wire.

Have a friend headed to work this week in Austria, then at K-G. He is not entirely convinced that the races are going to happen. Which sort of surprises me. It is, though, about a 3 iron from the Italian border.

We’ll see!

And, yep, the recent DNF by Kilde is a big factor in this. As is today’s cancellation. More for him to overcome.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's still long way till end of next week, so it's anything but sure to have races, considering mass panic about some mild flu going around (yeah 3600 dead people world wide in 3 months is really something whole world should stop spinning around...).
Italy being just across the border has nothing to do with this, but everywhere there's panic about this, so honestly I wouldn't be too surprised if races would be canceled. Just today, Italy put sort of travel ban (you can still travel but need to prove good reason for it) across few provinces, basically grounding 15 millions of people. There were races with no spectators in Czech (biathlon) and Holmenkollen (xc skiing and ski jumping). And just yesterday, Slovenia forbid events with more then 500 people, but for now that's inside events only. But as I wrote, it's still long way till end of week, so it's perfectly possible Kranjska gora and Are will be canceled, just as it's perfectly possible they wil go through like nothing is happening (which is actually fact).

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
And, yep, the recent DNF by Kilde is a big factor in this. As is today’s cancellation. More for him to overcome.
Maybe I’m wrong but I think this is Kilde’s only shot at big globe. Nothing to say he can’t be as consistent next year but that is how it feels to me given the years it has taken to ski like this . And if so, again he takes that DNF to his grave. Such a great guy so am rooting for him.

A cancellation similar to 2011 that MR the globe over Lindsey would be a fitting end to the season.

James

Out There
Instructor
So, looks like a race with no Italian racers and no spectators.
The NBA, NHL, MLB, and MLS are limiting access to the athletes. No reporters in the locker room.
Wed the NBA may decide to play without fans.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Things are getting pretty weird at the moment, but for Kranjska Gora all looks like nothing would be wrong, except for "no spectators". But thing is, Slovenia (as well as Austria) decided to close borders with Italy, which should happen today/tomorrow. All Italians are staying home, but that's FISI (Italian ski federation) rule, with obviously some exceptions (at least Brignone). On other side, 90% of people behind scenes on tour, if you don't count local organization, are Italians. Whole Infront is Italian, and they bring their own people everywhere. With borders closed, and with half of Italy in quarantine (and number of provinces in quarantine is going up daily), I'm not really sure how this is going to work, as these guys are responsible for everything, from TV production to putting banners on side of the course. So either rules of "no travel" and "obligatory quarantine for everyone who were in Italy in last few weeks" are just joke, and people can still do whatever they want regardless from where they are coming, or it's going to be "a bit" of a problem to get this race through with no people who do most of work behind the scenes.
As I'm not expecting much business out of this weekend, I'm rather going somewhere, where it's really going to be virus free zone... high up in mountains to get some sun and nice snow, so alpine WC season is over for me, unless in next 3 days I get some urgent call for good money, which I don't really expect. :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, if they actually do run it, here’s the venue:

A68EADEF-B884-41B3-86D6-238B53C89823.jpeg

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Also Kranjska Gora is canceled. I just got mail from OC Kranjska gora that after discussion between FIS, OC Kranjska Gora and Slovenia national health institute, races are canceled. No Whatsapp msg from FIS yet, but I guess that's it for this season.
Now waiting just for info on FIS Ski flying world championships that are suppose to be in Planica (10km from Kranjska Gora) next weekend.... and hopefully on info that european cup biathlon races in Pokljuka this weekend are canceled too, which will mean, xc ski tracks there will be open for me, as currently they are closed due these races :D

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Swede naah... at least I'm not watching corona news, I'm just going to self isolate myself... high up in snowy mountain :D We got some 1 to 1.5m new snow last week in mountains, so even if current temperature infront of our house is +15c, there's still plenty of skiing to be done up in mountains. Not to mention there's not much chances to get this virus if nearest human is 20km away from you :D

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I guess I can cancel my Olympic Channel subscription. Will l get a proration on my Snowpass or just an asterisk* ogwink

Stay healthy everyone!