• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

World Cup 2018 (Soccer/Futbol)

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm surprised there's no World Cup thread. It starts tomorrow. First match is Russia v. Saudi Arabia, the 2 lowest ranked squads according to FIFA. The legit excitement starts on Friday -> Portugal v. Spain, Eqypt v. Uruguay ...

Who else is excited??!?!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I'm surprised there's no World Cup thread. It starts tomorrow. First match is Russia v. Saudi Arabia, the 2 lowest ranked squads according to FIFA. The legit excitement starts on Friday -> Portugal v. Spain, Eqypt v. Uruguay ...

Who else is excited??!?!

Me ! Me! Me!

:wag:

Something to look forward to! Now that my only hope to ski would be patchskiiing for some time. .... Sigh.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm normally stoked and will watch every match I can obsessively. This year I'm a bit meh. Hangover from the CL final and bitterness about Ramos probably. Hopefully I'll get a bit more stoked when there have been a couple of decent matches.

And it's called football. Now that you septics will be hosting it again learn the name.....

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Aww, I feel for ya man, you still have 8 more years to wait 'til she makes her brief Canadian visit

:roflmao:
And apparently they're talking like we are going to get a bye into the tourney . Like really?? Hey we're playing the peewee team from ummmm Canada???:huh:

TS
Pumba

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Me ! Me! Me!

:wag:

Something to look forward to! Now that my only hope to ski would be patchskiiing for some time. .... Sigh.

Who are you supporting? In my office draw, I got Spain and Argentina. Not bad at all! Will Be near to see how space responds after the manager sacking....I’m also in other betting pools, do honestly I do not have loyalty towards one team. But I do have soft spots for Mexico and England. I work with brits, and what sad football fans. I’d like to see them smile. They have really good players!

I'm normally stoked and will watch every match I can obsessively. This year I'm a bit meh. Hangover from the CL final and bitterness about Ramos probably. Hopefully I'll get a bit more stoked when there have been a couple of decent matches.

And it's called football. Now that you septics will be hosting it again learn the name.....

Liverpool fan I guess? I just hope Salah can make it back soon. Without him are they hopeless?....yeah yeah yeah, about “football”....so many Negs on this board that I had to make it look “different” than the almighty nfl??! ....

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Who are you supporting? In my office draw, I got Spain and Argentina. Not bad at all! Will Be near to see how space responds after the manager sacking....I’m also in other betting pools, do honestly I do not have loyalty towards one team. But I do have soft spots for Mexico and England. I work with brits, and what sad football fans. I’d like to see them smile. They have really good players!.

Argentina all the way :) I really liked Spain two world cups ago. I think their golden generation got a little old, but I admire how they went from a very pedestrian, rough approach to playing the game with elegance and skill. I do think the strongest will be Germany, they are still young and they were amazing last time. And Brazil can only bounce up. They have so much talent. Neimar at his peak.

But the world cup is so unpredictable. A bad game and you are out, a lucky goal and you pass. That's what makes it so emotional, too!

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
And apparently they're talking like we are going to get a bye into the tourney . Like really?? Hey we're playing the peewee team from ummmm Canada???:huh:

The host nation always gets qualified into the field of teams. It has always been that way. Who's going to host a tournament without a guaranteed entry?

For me, I'm rooting for Argentina or Spain, but I'm betting on Brazil and Germany.

I predict major problems/controversy when the referees use the VAR (video assisted review). Most of the refs in the World Cup have never used VAR before. There will be several "WTF" moments from the fans as calls are reviewed and decisions changed -- without any form of explaining. And the delay of the VAR will be a big letdown for the emotion of the match.

YAY WORLD CUP! BOO VAR !

scott43

Skier
The host nation always gets qualified into the field of teams. It has always been that way. Who's going to host a tournament without a guaranteed entry?

So Mexico, US and Canada all get a bye? I get it, we do it for the Memorial Cup, just ridiculous that our 86th in the world team is going to get a spot..it's like getting a participant trophy..or being that person from Thailand who managed to get into the Olympics in GS because she did 346 events to gain enough points then finished 2 mins behind the winner...yay competition!! :roflmao:

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So Mexico, US and Canada all get a bye? I get it, we do it for the Memorial Cup, just ridiculous that our 86th in the world team is going to get a spot..it's like getting a participant trophy..or being that person from Thailand who managed to get into the Olympics in GS because she did 346 events to gain enough points then finished 2 mins behind the winner...yay competition!! :roflmao:

They are expanding the field to 48 teams from the normal 32.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

You're thinking about it wrong. Don't forget they're switching to a 48 team 16-groups-of-three format.

Think about it as getting a bye into highly televised qualifier matches.

Sponsor