• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Working Towards PSIA Alpine Level 3 Certification

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
There is some truth to this, but there is a catch: clients learn visually, as well as from auditory and kinesthetic experiences.
Right. And, Mikaela Shiffrin’s coaches aren’t teaching her how to ski. So, that’s a bad analogy.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is some truth to this, but there is a catch: clients learn visually, as well as from auditory and kinesthetic experiences. So, if the coach isn't able to demonstrate the movement changes desired, some other accommodation may be necessary to obtain that input. Perhaps it might be photographs or video, but those are likely not as timely as a good demonstration from the coach. So, for most guests, the ability to ski at a level appropriate to the client does matter.
I'd venture to guess that recreational skiers taking lessons assume that their ski instructor is a significantly stronger skier than everyone taking the lesson. If not and if the instructor can't effectively demonstrate the desired skills and movements, students can lose confidence in the instructor and may get less benefit out of the lesson which equates to a less effective instructor.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@karlo, here’s another way to obtain the knowledge you are looking for, PSIA-E’s Alpine Advanced Educator Program. This is high level training that counts towards your Level III when you finish the program. https://www.psia-e.org/ed/alpine-education/alpine-advanced-educator-program/

About 10 years ago I completed the PSIA-E Master Teacher program, the forerunner of this program. It was a fantastic experience. It expanded my knowledge of skiing immensely. I was a bit crazy and did the entire program in one season. The synergy of doing it that way was great. I could easily see how what I learned in one clinic related to the next clinic I was in a week later. Plus I got to ski at a bunch of really great ski areas.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Wow, you’re allowed 10 years to complete it. Amazing. And for you to have gotten all those courses I’m in one year? Are you a full time instructor?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Interestingly question. One of my favorite examiners to ski with often takes advances skiers on very, very flat green terrain - as do I - after I assess what fundamentals they need to master in order to meet their goals - and that assessment is often completed after we skate 40’ to the lift. The guest becomes indignant over not being on black diamonds - the terrain that they want to ski and the requisite skills that they want to attain. We do edge drills at 3mph. They fall over. Learning begins.

Your answer lies in the statement above.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Interestingly question. One of my favorite examiners to ski with often takes advances skiers on very, very flat green terrain - as do I - after I assess what fundamentals they need to master in order to meet their goals - and that assessment is often completed after we skate 40’ to the lift. The guest becomes indignant over not being on black diamonds - the terrain that they want to ski and the requisite skills that they want to attain. We do edge drills at 3mph. They fall over. Learning begins.

Your answer lies in the statement above.
I think that’s a good point. Very hard to isolate a deficiency a speed and on difficult terrain.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
One of my favorite examiners to ski with often takes advances skiers on very, very flat green terrain -

This is surprisingly difficult. I recently spent sometime working with someone on pivot slips, we started with skis off and focussing on foot/hip movement. Its all easier said than done. Slow exposes issues that motion can hide. While it could be frustrating, it was well worth the time. But I still can't do a pivot slip worth a damn, it must the snow.... :doh:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I think that’s a good point. Very hard to isolate a deficiency a speed and on difficult terrain.

Also, fear is a barrier to learning - that Maslow thing. Work that into your exam teaching block. "Mr. Guest. Fear is a barrier to learning. While you are an advanced skier (might be a lie), we're going to work on gentle terrain so we can just focus 100% on the movements."

Your examiners will appreciate your mastery of subject matter.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
This is surprisingly difficult. I recently spent sometime working with someone on pivot slips, we started with skis off and focussing on foot/hip movement. Its all easier said than done. Slow exposes issues that motion can hide. While it could be frustrating, it was well worth the time. But I still can't do a pivot slip worth a damn, it must the snow.... :doh:

I heard that sometimes there is a high gravel content in VT snow? Too much abrasive surface? :)

What are your base bevels at? On my carvers, I rock 0.5 degrees. I can pivot slip and do whirley birds just find on those skis. When I am on my Head Kores, which I use for inbounds powder and are at 1.0 degree, pivot slips and whirley birds are crazy easy.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I heard that sometimes there is a high gravel content in VT snow? Too much abrasive surface? :)

What are your base bevels at? On my carvers, I rock 0.5 degrees. I can pivot slip and do whirley birds just find on those skis. When I am on my Head Kores, which I use for inbounds powder and are at 1.0 degree, pivot slips and whirley birds are crazy easy.

It was sub zero and weird sticky snow. I’m honestly not sure what the tune on that pair of skis was, it’s a pair I had never skied before. I was told to bring some narrow skis for practice, so I borrowed some. I think I’m going to keep them though as ive found these narrow skis kinda fun. It was mostly operator error & needing more practice. But I found working on this technical stuff on flat terrain quite a challenge.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Momentum is a friend when skiing. It keeps us upright by continuing to move us in the direction we have been heading, despite movement we might make that would throw us out of balance. With speed comes momentum. The difficulty of doing new movements at slow speed on low pitch terrain comes from lack of momentum.

Many things are easier at speed because it keeps us in balance while we accidentally make awkward movements that would otherwise throw us down. That's one reason instructors torture their clients with low speed low pitch drills.

Example: Balancing upright on a bicycle while doing a track stand at a red light is much harder than balancing upright while riding along the road at 10mph.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Which is why every instructor who I respect, DCL, and D-Team member that I have skied with emphasizes low speed drills. We’re more interested in building capacity, than compensation.

You analogy in mtn biking is interesting. Come to Durango, which has turned out more world-class mtn biking and ‘cross talent than virtually any place in the US, if not the world (except for maybe St. Galen). You will see a lot of slow speed, deliberate practice by the very best in the world here. One world champion on road, two silvers in the worlds for 2019, and multiple, multiple national championships.

Same with Martial arts. Learning and refining Kataib done with tension throughout the body, at atvery slow speeds. It is how Milan is built, and precise neurological connections are built.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid