• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wool

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
@Mike Thomas has been wearing wool jerseys for years. I'm not sure what kind, Icebreakers maybe? I'm always thinking that is crazy talk, scratchy and hot, who the hell wants to wear that in the summer! My only wool jersey to date has been a Castello jersey from the old Bridgestone catalog. Anybody else have one, it's bright orange (well, dull actually) dutch colors and was great for mob during rifle season and for cyclocross racing. It was heavy and scratchy and warm and saggy when wet and has unraveled spots where I've crashed with it.

Well... our friend is now ripping Mons Royale which I think is from New Zealand, and I figured hey, maybe I'll try it. I ordered a 3/4 sleeve jersey and have had it for about a month now. I don't know if it's my #1 favorite jersey, but it's up there. I'll probably get another one. Basically, it's really good with the whole wicking thing. I can be wearing it over my high-tech fabric bibs and my top talk will dry much faster than the bottom half. Weird, right? The jersey is expensive as hell, so I was a bit concerned that on my first ride I'd snag a spruce tree or something and have it unravel all around me. Hasn't happened yet [fingers crossed]. The only downside so far is that washing it seems to be a challenge - it says it is machine washable, but I'm not doing that again... the wool was fine, but the logo kind of glued itself into a ball that I had to carefully unpeel - there was a bit of damage, but I wouldn't say it's wrecked. I'm not sure about the stinkiness situation, there's an odor when it's all sweaty, but I think it might be the excess dye or something it's not stinky, but it has a smell which seems to be diminishing. OK, I stink too, but it smells different from what I am used to.

OK, Mike you are not an idiot after all.

http://store-us.monsroyale.com/collection/Riders

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Modern wool. Good stuff. Wish I had more. Not a question for me. Still not for hot weather, though, imo. For that I'll the lightest possible synthetics.

scott43

Skier
Yeah merino stuff is good. Not itchy but yeah stink and washing is an issue. My wife wears a lot of wool stuff. I always think wet dog when it gets damp though...

scott43

Skier
I use cheap tshirts or old navy "tech" shirts that are like $4 on sale and are pretty much the same as dri-fit.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use cheap tshirts or old navy "tech" shirts that are like $4 on sale and are pretty much the same as dri-fit.
I find the cheaper synthetic "tech" start to stink after a few uses and washes even using Lysol to wash them. The "tech funk" aroma is worse than the "wet dog" of wool. Higher end synthetics seem to last longer before getting too manky to wear around other people.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Um, his profile pic is with a white Haynes or is that a Tommy Bahama with no print? At $4 a piece Scott can save one or two cheapo shirts for special occasions when the tech funk would be too much for his pals. No to mention options galore for color coordination.:huh:

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Merino wool rules. I wear Icebreaker tees riding, merino socks, I wear Icebreaker boxers all the time I'm not wearing a chamois (... or nothing at all...) if it is going to touch my skin, I'd rather it not be synthetic. I can wear merino over and over again before it needs to be washed. Whoever said 'smell' is a wool problem has it 100% backward.

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
Yes, mons royale is from New Zealand. Merino is ubiquitous here. It is generally more available and often cheaper than other tech fabrics. We live in the stuff. Mons is generally really good quality. I wash all of our mons and icebreaker in the washing machine, usually on a cold wash, or a delicate or wool wash. It never goes in the dryer. I have never had an issue with the logos gluing themselves together with mons stuff, but have had it with other stuff so I know what you mean. I'd really recommend getting in touch with their customer service. They're friendly, don't bite and you have nothing to lose.

scott43

Skier
Merino wool rules. I wear Icebreaker tees riding, merino socks, I wear Icebreaker boxers all the time I'm not wearing a chamois (... or nothing at all...) if it is going to touch my skin, I'd rather it not be synthetic. I can wear merino over and over again before it needs to be washed. Whoever said 'smell' is a wool problem has it 100% backward.
Well I can say nothing smells worse than my Lifa Polypro stuff...10x worse than wool!!

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Yes, mons royale is from New Zealand. Merino is ubiquitous here. It is generally more available and often cheaper than other tech fabrics. We live in the stuff. Mons is generally really good quality. I wash all of our mons and icebreaker in the washing machine, usually on a cold wash, or a delicate or wool wash. It never goes in the dryer. I have never had an issue with the logos gluing themselves together with mons stuff, but have had it with other stuff so I know what you mean. I'd really recommend getting in touch with their customer service. They're friendly, don't bite and you have nothing to lose.

FYI Merino wool that is Superwashed (I can explain that process in detail if anyone is interested) can go in the drier without shrinkage. I almost always hang my cloths - all of them. Not for fear of shrinkage but driers abrade fabrics and cut short a garmnent's life. Throw something with a zipper on it without first closing up that zipper and it is like throwing an aggressive file in the drier with your clothes.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's about WOOL. Not about plastic shirts.
I like wool. Most of my base layers are wool. I think they do eventually start to stink, even after washing, but that's after years of use. I have a wool cycling jersey, but I haven't worn it that much because it's a little too warm for where I ride. I have some wool tanks that I wear in the summer, but the jersey is a thicker knit (or thicker yarn).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great stuff if you aren't sweating too vigorously. Love it.

But for full-tilt workouts, synthetic all the way. I've got 15 year old Craft base layers that are just starting to show wear, and don't smell a bit. They've never had a tour of a dryer. Rack only.

Sponsor

Staff online