• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wooden bike frame?!

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is SO sexy. But $3500 for the frame only. Ouch.

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/wooden-29er-renovo-can-built-21lbs/

renovo_wooden_29er_mountain_bike-11-1170x918.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I love the idea. And I bet it dampens the road quite well--maybe as well as carbon or steel. But mountain bike doesn't seem like the right application.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm thinking "wrap that in carbon fiber!". Make a true composite bike frame. Without fancy molds.

I have too many other projects...

Eric
"In developing the BadAsh mountain bike, Renovo found that adding carbon reinforcement inside the frame resulted in the right combo of stiffness for handling and pedaling efficiency with overall comfort."

"(size large) weighs 21lbs., with smaller sizes dipping as low as 20.3lbs. The company keeps the frame light by milling the inside of the frame to accommodate the carbon fiber reinforcement, which leave the frame largely hollow just like a traditional bike."

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I built a wooden bike when I was twelve. It sort of worked.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Amazing bikes, made in my neck of the woods. I have one older friend that rides one on the road, but I have no firsthand experience.

I am, however, impressed by the vintage Volvo station wagon he has hanging from the bottom bracket in a pic on the website!

Edit: Not sure that pic is still up on the site.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
So essentially it's wooden veneer on a carbon frame, not bad then, I was thinking how easy it would break from weakness in grain structure since it appears to be made out of single piece of wood.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Airplanes have been made of wood. Spruce offering many structural advantages over "most" materials. Carbon fiber is notch sensitive and does not fare well to impact.

I've always been fond of "steel corners", in the bottom brackets, head sets and drop outs. Someday I may cut apart an old Schwinn Varsity and give it a try.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
For my personal cycling, wood comes right after carbon... which is NEVER!!!
I'm not much on boutique hardware...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
"In developing the BadAsh mountain bike, Renovo found that adding carbon reinforcement inside the frame resulted in the right combo of stiffness for handling and pedaling efficiency with overall comfort."

"(size large) weighs 21lbs., with smaller sizes dipping as low as 20.3lbs. The company keeps the frame light by milling the inside of the frame to accommodate the carbon fiber reinforcement, which leave the frame largely hollow just like a traditional bike."

That actually sounds like internal CF lug construction - like the old Trek 5200s and uncounted Look/Time frames used to use.

Sponsor