• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Womens Tennis Uproar

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Can there ever be parity? The WNBA is not pulling numbers like the NBA. Will they ever?
With the same upfront investments all the way down to grade school ball it would certainly do better. Not sure about men's level money though. I think, like education and all other occupations, integration is probably better than separate but equal..

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...That's what was said about women marathoners.

And it takes them longer, so they should get paid more.

No, most men's five-setters aren't that great of matches, either. Usually the winner loses the next match. If it's a final, whatever. But I'm not into turning tennis into a sport of who is the fittest. Back when all matches were five sets, it was serve and volley on grass, and the points were really short. That is not at all how things are now. So honestly, I am for everyone playing best of three sets, unless it's Davis Cup or a Slam final, something with a defined end.

The only argument for equal pay that holds any water is revenue, which is what Djokovic said the other day. But really, why do the guys even care? It's two separate tours, and they DO get more money except at Grand Slams and a few coed events (such as Indian Wells, where this just happened. And where, by the way, the women's final was about 100x better than the men's).

James

Out There
Instructor
It would be a good opportunity to eliminate screeching from tennis. Change the pay, Venus and Sharapova play each other in a final screech off.Then it's a fine or points.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I don't believe it is fair or equitable to take a current snapshot of revenues to justify men's prize money being greater than woman's prize money. Again, men are currently getting way more upfront investment in court time and PR than women get simply because women play fewer hours and outright discrimination. I suspect that interest, Nielson ratings, and overall interest in women's (insert any sport) would increase with upfront PR investment and more broadcast time. Would it equal that of men? Maybe not, but it might get a lot closer than some think.

As for the 3 vs 5 sets... why aren't we talking about cutting men back to three instead of always suggesting bumping women up to five?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So honestly, I am for everyone playing best of three sets, unless it's Davis Cup or a Slam final, something with a defined end.

+1

I like tennis, but don't love it. A five set match is just too much of a good thing for me.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...As for the 3 vs 5 sets... why aren't we talking about cutting men back to three instead of always suggesting bumping women up to five?

They have been bumping men's five-setters back for a while. Not in the Slams or Davis Cup, though. Yes, it's been discussed.

Sponsor