• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Womens Tennis Uproar

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's not just tennis. Remember the recent World Cup criticisms? What I remember is beyond the pay disparity they made them play on artificial turf, insult to literal injury. I don't have an answer to the dilemma other than perhaps better marketing. I would agree that either they need to either bundle tickets or women's sports will need to fill more seats and bring on more sponsors to earn more prize money. Women buy products, where are the endorsements and where does the money go?

And to be clear, men also watch womens sports so sponsors need not all be feminine only in nature.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as I see, pretty typical comments from an a$$hole male who has no idea how different/difficult it is to grow without the privileges afforded by being white, male, athletic, and upper-class.

The old homily about "walking a mile in someone else's shoes" fits him to a T. I'd love to see how these guys would deal with being black, or women, or from another country, or whatever.... My own take is that most of the men who run things in America think they hit a home run -- and never realize they were really born on 3rd base. They have no understanding of the world other folks live in, no compassion, and no conception of how they themselves make the world unfair and hostile to large categories of our society.

The only thing I find admirable about him is that at least he was willing to say what he really believes, rather than hiding his prejudices behind politically-correct comments that let them fester out of sight and unquestioned.

James

Out There
Instructor
Pretty bad.

If matches go full length than women play 60% , 3/5, of what the men play. If straight sets it's 66%, 2/3.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Pretty bad.

If matches go full length than women play 60% , 3/5, of what the men play. If straight sets it's 66%, 2/3.

So could lower TV/Broadcast time be translating to lower sponsor revenues translating to smaller prize money?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We may be on the cusp of full integration across most sports. There is already a female goalie playing in the minors here and others in grade school football that may be playing college levels by 2020. Middle School and some high school wrestling teams are already fully integrated.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
That guy is just nuts and he does not have a clue. I would rather watch woman Tennis, I have watched Women's Tennis since Billie Jean King and Chris Evert dominated the game. You are sure to find one old fart that has not grown wise with age and he is just the latest to open his mouth.

James

Out There
Instructor
So could lower TV/Broadcast time be translating to lower sponsor revenues translating to smaller prize money?
No, clearly it's sexist. But what is the end goal. Equal would not be like for like.

Then there's Serena probably making a fraction of what Sharapova gets in endorsements.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty bad.

Actually, all non-majors events are now best-of-three matches for both men and women.
And....I'll bet that if you promised equal prize money and equal attention (US Open, for one, has equal prize money men/women), 85% of the women would be willing to -- in fact look forward to -- playing best-of-five matches.

The notion that women are delicate creatures unable to compete for that length of time is another myth that needs to be refuted.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
This guy is a clown, but it should be money based. If the women draw better then the men they should be paid more than the men and vice versa. The women should also go to best of 5 matches. Anybody know why this has not happened?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am actually totally for equal pay for women ... partly because of continuing attitudes like Ray Moore's. And partly because I really hate that 3 vs 5 set argument. Sport is entertainment, they are not punching a time clock, working an hourly wage. What about a boxer who KOs someone in the first round? Does he get paid less? Hell no.

I'm not really for five-setters for women, either. I am not going to pretend that we are as strong as guys, sorry. They did some best of fives in the year-end champs some years ago, and it wasn't pretty.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We touched on this earier today..you know what the problem is with women's sports? The men who think they run them.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
To give him the benefit of the doubt, I suppose from his perspective, he's trying to gather sponsors, advertising etc and it's easier to get that money with top men draws versus women. I've always heard about this undercurrent of trying to "sex up" the women's game to try and generate more appeal/viewers. And that they were gaining a lot of income off the back of the men's game. And I think some of the men players still resent that. I suppose the decision is, equal prize money, end of story? Or base it on audience?

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am actually totally for equal pay for women ... partly because of continuing attitudes like Ray Moore's. And partly because I really hate that 3 vs 5 set argument. Sport is entertainment, they are not punching a time clock, working an hourly wage. What about a boxer who KOs someone in the first round? Does he get paid less? Hell no.

How entertaining is to watch a women's final wrapped up in 60 minutes or less? It is not the fault of the winner, but it still can be crap tennis and I feel the same way about an under 60 minute, best of 3 sets men's match, too. Boxing and fight sports are a completely different animal as there is no minimum time and the ultimate purpose of a boxing match is to knock out your opponent. The best case for a boxing match is to knock out your opponent in 10 seconds.

I'm not really for five-setters for women, either. I am not going to pretend that we are as strong as guys, sorry. They did some best of fives in the year-end champs some years ago, and it wasn't pretty.

That's what was said about women marathoners.

James

Out There
Instructor
What about a boxer who KOs someone in the first round? Do
What about it?
Completely different sport. Knocking someone out could be the pinnacle of a boxing match, or not. If a fight was set up as 7 or 10 rounds versus 15 they're very different fights whether or not there's a knockout.
No knockouts in tennis anyway unless someone retires.

How entertaining is to watch a women's final wrapped up in 60 minutes or less? It is not the fault of the winner, but it still can be crap tennis and I feel the same way about an under 60 minute, best of 3 sets men's match, too.
That's a quality argument. Would 5 sets of crap be better than 3?
5 sets can take 4-5 hrs. A great match wrapped up in 2 1/2, ie women's, isn't so bad. Now I'm arguing against myself. But the men are still required to play more. Over the course of a tournament that's a lot more.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
But the men are still required to play more. Over the course of a tournament that's a lot more.

That's also more court time and media exposure for men. The facility and event dedicates more time for men than women. It's unfair just like it was unfair making the women play their world cup championship soccer/football match on artificial turf. There are institutional causes to why women's events may not seem as entertaining.

James

Out There
Instructor
That's also more court time and media exposure for men. The facility and event dedicates more time for men than women. It's unfair just like it was unfair making the women play their world cup championship soccer/football match on artificial turf. There are institutional causes to why women's events may not seem as entertaining.
No idea what your point is there.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No idea what your point is there.
Men play 5 sets all through the tournament equates to more media exposure for men in general throughout all levels, more TV time, more endorsements, etc.. The organizations and events invest more in men up front so it is no surprise that the men generate more revenues.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Can there ever be parity? The WNBA is not pulling numbers like the NBA. Will they ever?

James

Out There
Instructor
Doubtfull the WNba will ever pull in revenues anywhere near. But college women do ok.
There is a limit perhaps to how much sports we can watch. The NFL is threatening to oversaturate themselves.

Sponsor

Staff online