• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women's Technical Clothing

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
My issue with women's outerwear is twofold.
- It seems like mostly men are designing women's outerwear.. the colors, the materials, the fit, a lot of it screams 'a dude designed this'. Never mind a women's-dedicated company, I have a novel idea... how about companies just hire some women skiers to design women's ski clothing??

- A lot of the women's offerings are subpar to the men's in both materials and colors/designs. I'll give one example of where I was really disappointed this year: Strafe Outerwear. Small Aspen company making some really unique, quality men's technical outerwear. I saw lots of women wearing their men's stuff over the past few years. I was really excited when I heard they were coming out with a women's line this year. Then I saw their women's "line"... they have two virtually identical insulated jackets (no uninsulated option). Whereas their men's jackets always looked very unique, their women's stuff looks like every other jacket out there. It just looks like the women's stuff was an afterthought and they didn't pay attention to what women were already buying from them.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
- It seems like mostly men are designing women's outerwear.. the colors, the materials, the fit, a lot of it screams 'a dude designed this'. Never mind a women's-dedicated company, I have a novel idea... how about companies just hire some women skiers to design women's ski clothing??

- A lot of the women's offerings are subpar to the men's in both materials and colors/designs. I'll give one example of where I was really disappointed this year: Strafe Outerwear. Small Aspen company making some really unique, quality men's technical outerwear. I saw lots of women wearing their men's stuff over the past few years. I was really excited when I heard they were coming out with a women's line this year. Then I saw their women's "line"... they have two virtually identical insulated jackets (no uninsulated option). Whereas their men's jackets always looked very unique, their women's stuff looks like every other jacket out there. It just looks like the women's stuff was an afterthought and they didn't pay attention to what women were already buying from them.
This is a topic that I discussed when writing some information for a gear guide.
While Phil was receiving products that were out of this world, I was getting random stuff that looked like they said, "oh right, we have to send something for their female tester too. This'll do."

Even companies that care and take the time to utilize female focus groups need to fix some of the things that the dude's are not thinking of when designing women's clothing.
For instance, where is the tech pocking inside the jacket? If you put your phone in that pocket does it give you a square boob? Just one simple thing that many designers get wrong.

Reactions: Ron

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I got an Arc'Teryx jacket last year that I absolutely love EXCEPT it only has one tiny internal pocket that isn't even big enough for a phone or men's wallet. My husband liked the jacket and got a men's - and .it has two massive pockets, as big as the front of the jacket.

I get that a lot of women don't put a lot of stuff in their pockets for aesthetic reasons, but dang, let me decide! It's a $500 jacket!

I did look this season, and it seems that the Sentinel jacket now does have big pockets, which is good, but I don't know why they didn't start that way.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Then I saw their women's "line"... they have two virtually identical insulated jackets (no uninsulated option). Whereas their men's jackets always looked very unique, their women's stuff looks like every other jacket out there. It just looks like the women's stuff was an afterthought and they didn't pay attention to what women were already buying from them.

Out of curiosity I checked out their website and I was really surprised with their offerings. I couldn't really tell a difference either in the two outerwear jackets offered to women (aside from the colorblocking I guess?). Not to mention that they offer three different 'lines' of clothing, and of course their womens line. Which goes back to what Monique was saying about the Powder magazine and whatnots gear issues where they show men a variety of different ski categories then lump a few womens skis in one catchall.

Tam, I know you had mentioned you liked Trews offerings when it cames to bibs, I was looking at their jacket offerings (slim pickings, but they are a small brand so I can let it slide- and at least they offer some uninsulated shells for women!) and thought they looked interesting. Have you tried them?

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Tam, I know you had mentioned you liked Trews offerings when it cames to bibs, I was looking at their jacket offerings (slim pickings, but they are a small brand so I can let it slide- and at least they offer some uninsulated shells for women!) and thought they looked interesting. Have you tried them?

Yeah, I really liked the Trew stuff, nice high quality stuff. I love their Chariot bibs (I'm totally sold on bibs now... sooooo comfortable). I like the Stella jacket too, might consider one this year... first year the fit was awful, but they listened to what women were saying and fixed it the next year. I still don't think they've totally dialed in the fit, but it showed they were at least listening. I also love that they have colors and designs that look different from everything else out there. There are still things about their outerwear where you can tell they were designed by men, but they've put out a pretty solid effort so far. I've also been impressed with Flylow over the last two years. They still have work to do, but they seem to be putting serious effort and thought into the women's line. I saw that Flylow is making a ladies bib next year so hoping those are even better than my Trews.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are two types of women ski wear, One is for women who ski the other is for women skiers. The former is the majority of the segment, the problem is, mom is the last to get new gear (clothing) and it all depends on how the household budget is. Kids get taken care of first, then dad and lastly mom. The latter is for women skiers and sadly in many cases, that is the vast minority.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I need to check out this bib thing. I'm always fighting to keep my top layers tucked so I don't get cold up my back.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
I need to check out this bib thing.
I'm big on bibs now. If they have zips on the sides that go from knee up, the whole bathroom thing isn't an issue and you don't need to remove your jacket. Arcteryx Sentinel bib looks sweet too.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Arcteryx Sentinel bib looks sweet too.

Oh, you just HAD to say that, didn't you? I anticipate my husband getting really pissed at me in 3 ... 2... 1...

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
- It seems like mostly men are designing women's outerwear.. the colors, the materials, the fit, a lot of it screams 'a dude designed this'. Never mind a women's-dedicated company, I have a novel idea... how about companies just hire some women skiers to design women's ski clothing??...

I sound like an arc'teryx fangirl, and maybe I am (the stuff just fits though! plus now there is an outlet 20 min from home), but I remember 3 or 4 years ago I saw a little video on how they did this. These two women were talking about how they designed the women's ski line, I think it was, and I remember those new fits. The shaping makes a huge difference. But it's impractically expensive for most consumers and/or people who don't live near an outlet.

But I'm sure most companies are aware of this and at least trying; it's the smaller ones with fewer resources (ie where this topic started) that aren't doing it "properly" yet. It's understandable. It's easier for women just to wear a small in a men's product for the time being.

And pockets. Yeah. FlyLow does great pockets, but its fit is pretty uncomplicated. Including good pockets and a flattering fit on a woman's smaller torso seems pretty difficult. That's why I loooove big pockets on the pant legs (Sentinel pant, I'm talking to you). Solves that problem. But yeah, that photo @Drahtguy Kevin posted of me knee-deep in the powder somewhere, you can see what happens when you fill up the pockets on a puffy ski jacket. (I look at the pic and of course I'm reminiscing about a sublime pow day, but mostly I'm thinking, When did I gain 20lb?)

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm with @SBrown on Arc'teryx. We have very different body types, in particular height & inseam. We are both able to fit into Arc'teryx pants, jackets, sweaters, etc., without any issues. Yes, pockets could always be better on jackets, but my technical have plenty and the big pockets on the Sentinel pants are a big plus.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
I actually just purchased some Sentinel pants... Best fitting pant I've ever had!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Christy's in Deer Valley has a larger mens clothing section than womens. I asked the manager about this and she said women there are more frequent shoppers but much harder to please as to fit and taste and so at the end of the season they have a higher ratio of unsold to original stock. With men they can send one of their uber hot sales gals over to a guy and make the sale.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Why not just go with the existing pants and some suspenders?

I don't think you understand my philosophy of ski gear purchasing.

In any case, bibs come higher up, so they are better protection against shirts coming untucked.

Sponsor

Staff online