• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women's Soccer World Cup 2019

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I don’t think Holland was that far away. The (ridicously incorrect inmo) PK changed the game. Completely. Previosly the USA had lots of trouble with the physically strong yet technical Dutchesses and that PK forced NL to change their tactics. Tony was very happy (ass US coach who used to coach my home team Hammarby). But referees are part of the equation.

I'm not a huge fan of replay over turning no calls, but he majority, including non US fans, seem to be agreeing that this has to be called even if it overturns the decision to play on and corner awarded live..
attachment.php

I get that the ball was probably going out at that point regardless..

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not a huge fan of replay over turning no calls, but he majority, including non US fans, seem to be agreeing that this has to be called even if it overturns the decision to play on and corner awarded live..
attachment.php

I get that the ball was probably going out at that point regardless..

Still doesn't say much about the situation. Morgan runs into VDG:s foot as much as she is kicking at the ball. Looking at the whole sequence VDG actually tries to hold back when Morgan comes rushing in. Not a penalty. Has nothing to do with VAR. Bad call.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
IDK, probably should never be trying to play the ball that high with a foot unless it's a bicycle kick. Head or chest to control anything that high if there is anyone at all from the opposing team in the neighborhood. Bad decision, contact made as the result of that bad decision. Lost the game for them..

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Umm, she raised her foot above waist level, making it a high kick, which would have been dangerous play/indirect free kick, but once she contacted Morgan, it became a direct free kick foul. You can't have your foot up there no matter what, if you are in the vicinity of an opponent. It's a foul. Of course Morgan was running in there, the ball was there. That's why the rule exists -- you could just keep people away by high kicking all the time (that would look funny, kinda like Ministry of Funny Walks).

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can have your foot up there, happens all the time in La Liga, Premiere League, Bundesliga, Serie A ... as long as it's not dangerous play, wich was was not the case here inmo (and many others). The still frame looks dramatic. But if you watch the complete sequense, especially slo-mo from various angles, you can see that VDG:s foot is actually on its way away from Morgan in this particular frame. Not 'hitting' her. No danger at all. Sorry, but I think it was a big mistake from the French/Spanish referee team and one of the worst calls in the whole tournament. And for the record, I don't cheer for the Netherlands. Happy that the US won since I have more bonds there, having lived there, realtives and friends. And also ass coach being a fellow Swede and 'bajare' like me.

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I looked at it a bunch of times, guess we will agree to disagree. The Dutch girl wasn't backing off at ALL, Morgan is the one who turned because she saw a boot in her face. Orange kicked at a high ball, whiffed, and hit Morgan instead. Foot above waist. Morgan has a right to run at the ball, which is what she was doing, and she would have collected it had she not been kicked near the face. It's a little like having your arms waving wildly in the box: even if you don't mean to handle the ball, it doesn't matter in most cases. Keep them down.

There didn't seem to be much disagreement with the call -- besides, the ref was already letting SO much go, there had been several takedowns (at least one in the box) that could have gone either way. So I don't feel guilty about it at all.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
You can have your foot up there, happens all the time in La Liga, Premiere League, Bundesliga, Serie A ... as long as it's not dangerous play, wich was was not the case here inmo (and many others). The still frame looks dramatic. But if you watch the complete sequense, especially slo-mo from various angles, you can see that VDG:s foot is actually on its way away from Morgan in this particular frame. Not 'hitting' her. No danger at all. Sorry, but I think it was a big mistake from the French/Spanish referee team and one of the worst calls in the whole tournament. And for the record, I don't cheer for the Netherlands. Happy that the US won since I have more bonds there, having lived there, realtives and friends. And also ass coach being a fellow Swede and 'bajare' like me.

Morgan was in the air playing a deflected ball that came from behind Morgan's right side. Morgan played the ball while in the air with her hip and then tried to avoid the VDG high boot. VDG's studs hit an airborne Morgan on the back of her right arm after the ball deflected off Morgan and was a blind and dangerous attempt to play the ball. VDG did not track the ball after the deflection and that was part to the reason for the dangerous contact with Morgan. It was a reckless play. If Morgan was not in the air, the studs would have hit her in the face. This was a clear penalty and yellow card.

This does not "happen all the time in La Liga, Premiere League, Bundesliga, Serie A".

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I am, however, disappointed that Sweden didn't beat England.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
So glad Lavelle was finally rewarded for doin her thang. What skills she has.
Yeah a standout. She's funny, looks goofy when running. Don't know what it is, the super pale skin, arms at angles, or very upright torso while running. Fast though, sometimes with a turbo and when that kicks in those that can keep up are very few.

Wcup recap

Rapinoe in kindergarten

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Yeah a standout. She's funny, looks goofy when running. Don't know what it is, the super pale skin, arms at angles, or very upright torso while running. Fast though, sometimes with a turbo and when that kicks in those that can keep up are very few.

Wcup recap

I'm definitely a Lavelle fan!
Never been a Rapino fan however...

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Hairbands-

Wandering in Brazil-

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So our US women have been dominating international ball and we've had the top female skier (Vonn and now Schiffren) for over a decade now. Anybody else think Title IX gives the US women an edge with better, somewhat more equal opportunity and backing that other nations aren't up with yet?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have to say, I've never been really interested in Soccer (errrrr football) but this team had be paying attention. Piqued my attention.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
So our US women have been dominating international ball and we've had the top female skier (Vonn and now Schiffren) for over a decade now. Anybody else think Title IX gives the US women an edge with better, somewhat more equal opportunity and backing that other nations aren't up with yet?

I don't know what effect it's had on skiing, but it's definitely a big factor in women's soccer. However, if participation in Europe continues to grow, then the whole club system that's already in place here for the men's game will help the women here catch up to the US. The clubs that already have boys teams that produce future pros can easily start up girls teams, and more and more pro teams that compete in the top men's divisions are starting women's teams. So, they already have the infrastructure and knowledge base; they just need to keep getting more and more young girls into the game.

One of the managers in my department has a daughter playing for the Arsenal ladies reserve team at the moment, so we sometimes chat about the women's game and the differences between the US and England in terms of player development.

Sponsor

Staff online