• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women's Soccer World Cup 2019

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Should've saved some of those goals for the tougher opponents coming up.
How did the Thais get in the tournament anyway?

They did get in the tourney so there is but one way to play if you want to win the Cup.
Wide open! From the start of the first match till it's all over. Period.
Anything less hurts your team and patronizes the opponent.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
MV5BODJhY2FjMDMtZDM2NS00MDY4LWI3YzgtZjc1ODc5ZjNlNWExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk0NzgwMTE@._V1_.jpg

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Whatever the US margin was going to be, Sweden has incentive to top it for group standing. You've got to make it difficult.

The Thais got in starting with N Korea being banned in 2015 for steroid use. They claimed some of their players had been struck by lightning, and they took medicine made from deer glands to recover. Even Fifa didn't buy it. I guess this time N Korea didn't qualify, so Thailand got the nod again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/sports/thailand-uswnt-womens-world-cup.html

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Jacob: agree with your comments on US soccer. Each of my sons played more than a dozen years in high level club soccer and competed against other clubs on a national basis. Each ended up playing 5 years of college soccer at Division 1 schools, and both said they thought their club teams, although younger, would compete very well against the "boot ball" college teams who relied more on athletic ability and size than on soccer strategy and tactics, which were taught with much more acumen at the club level. Very disappointing. Frankly, I thought the US men looked like a college team against Venezuela and were exposed for all to see.

It's good to see that the women have improved their ball skills a bit since the last tournament (and their athleticism as well). Obviously, it's difficult to assess them accurately when they face a team as weak as Thailand, but it looks like someone on that side of the USSF sees which way the wind is blowing now that more and more European professional clubs are spending significant amounts of money on their women's teams.

As for the men, unless we just start sending all of our potential star players to Europe as teenagers, like with Christian Pulisic, I don't have much hope for the near future.

I grew up playing soccer in the US, and I witnessed first hand how smaller skilled players were dropped by top teams in favor of taller, faster players, usually starting around the U12 or U14 level.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, since total number of goals is a factor in final group rankings, can't really let off the gas or change what's working so well against that opponent. I do think that the post goal celebrations could have been toned down after the 5th goal to show it's nothing personal, just business during the beat down.

scott43

Skier
Ya, since total number of goals is a factor in final group rankings, can't really let off the gas or change what's working so well against that opponent. I do think that the post goal celebrations could have been toned down after the 5th goal to show it's nothing personal, just business during the beat down.
I find that rule egregious personally...but I do understand. My wife was a varsity soccer player and thinks nothing of it. I can tell you, if you run up the score like that in a hockey game, someone's going home with stitches.. :D It's un-Canadian to pile-on... Maybe they can give all the celebrants Urban Sombreros to match their goal celebrations.. :D

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I find that rule egregious personally...but I do understand. My wife was a varsity soccer player and thinks nothing of it. I can tell you, if you run up the score like that in a hockey game, someone's going home with stitches.. :D It's un-Canadian to pile-on... Maybe they can give all the celebrants Urban Sombreros to match their goal celebrations.. :D

Well in the real world everyone does NOT get a trophy! (and should not)

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
So, did the Canadian fans in Toronto really intend to celebrate Kevin Durant's torn achilles the other night?

scott43

Skier
Well now you're talking idiot fans vs players... :roflmao:

To be fair I don't think they really understood the seriousness. And the Toronto inferiority complex means they were more happy that KD the legend wasn't going to be able to continue in the game for a bit. When he left the floor he did get a standing o.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Well in the real world everyone does NOT get a trophy! (and should not)
But they should still shake hands after the match/series regardless of the results. Sportsmanship is still important.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

The problem is, when it gets to a certain point, what are you supposed to do? Just pass the ball around and play keep away and not even try to score?

Having been on the losing side of a blowout a few times long ago (high school lacrosse) it can be maddening/insulting to have the other team not even try anymore as well. At some point, you're resigned to the loss, but still want to try - try to score, try to defend, etc. I wonder is there any feedback from the Thai players themselves out there?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But they should still shake hands after the match/series regardless of the results. Sportsmanship is still important.

Soccer shakes hands/acknowledges each other before the match......

Actually there is a push in NFHS (HS sports) to start having the “post game handshake” become a “pre game handshake”. It’s less contentious at the beginning of the game and officials would be be present.

Presently....officials/referees/umpires are instructed to leave games immediately at the conclusion of the contest....they are leaving before the post game handshake. This post game handshake situation is becoming more and more contentious as the players are “going through the line”.....without officials present, this often leads to little or no recourse for post game unsportsmanlike conduct.

Something to think about.....

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
I saw them talking with their opponents after the match.
Yes, Alex Morgan spent quite some time with one player.

You might say Rapinoe's celebration to score at 9-0 was too much. But she worked her a** off for that goal and it was a nice play up the field from Lloyd to Press to Rapinoe. So, I don't think so.

Mallory Pugh scored her first wcup goal ever at 11-0. How is she not going to celebrate?

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem is, when it gets to a certain point, what are you supposed to do? Just pass the ball around and play keep away and not even try to score?

Having been on the losing side of a blowout a few times long ago (high school lacrosse) it can be maddening/insulting to have the other team not even try anymore as well. At some point, you're resigned to the loss, but still want to try - try to score, try to defend, etc. I wonder is there any feedback from the Thai players themselves out there?

Yes, it’s complete bush league to pass the ball around and play keep away.....no matter the score. You keep playing the game but try working on different attack angles/tactics. If the opposition can’t stop any of them, that’s on them. It would nice though if FIFA allowed more substitution within the game....get more players into the game (especially in blowouts)

The only negative I saw was the “celebration” after each goal....it was a little much.....just score and head back for the restart.......don’t need all the theatrical group celebrations after each goal when game is out of reach.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I always thought the coolest touchdown celebration is to just calmly hand the ball to the ref---" yeah, I've actually scored a touchdown or two before" The women could have been a bit more professional.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Soccer shakes hands/acknowledges each other before the match......

Handshake comment was an inside joke about Bill's Penguins' star blowing off the handshakes after a series a few years ago. I know upper tier soccer teams don't have a mandatory shake after the match. When I coached kids ball if we were blowing someone out we'd pull a man off and play down. If it was still not a contest we'd play two down, etc.. until it was competitive.

World cup is pro level and they should act like pros. A little humility is never a bad thing at that level. Celebrate a game winning goal bigtime or 5th a little bit? Sure, but after that just play the game, score if you can, but don't rub it in and get personal unless there is history of the other team doing it. Payback is different..

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually there is a push in NFHS (HS sports) to start having the “post game handshake” become a “pre game handshake”. It’s less contentious at the beginning of the game and officials would be be present.

Seems like a good opportunity to reinforce the post-game handshake and why it's important and should be done. I hate giving in to bad behavior by removing the opportunity for it. I'd prefer those who behaved badly were taught and punished. Seems like the coaches, refs, and parents just don't want to deal with the kids bad behavior.

Sponsor