• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women's Soccer World Cup 2019

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
One other advantage about stepping forward as a GK is that it makes it easier to tip the ball over the crossbar or around the post. If you're on the goal line, then you've got to get a strong enough hand on the ball to deflect it at pretty much a 90-degree angle to stop it from going in. But if you're in front of the goal line, a weaker deflection might still be enough to push it around the post or over the bar. Plus, if you almost completely block the ball but it trickles just behind you, you might still have time to reach back and stop it before it crosses the line.

That's why goalkeepers are almost always a step or two in front of the goal line, even when facing long shots where they can't really come out to cut down the angles.

Last edited:
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
One other advantage about stepping forward as a GK is that it makes it easier to tip the ball over the crossbar or around the post. If you're on the goal line, then you've got to get a strong enough hand on the ball to deflect it at pretty much a 90-degree angle to stop it from going in. But if you're in front of the goal line, a weaker deflection might still be enough to push it around the post or over the bar. Plus, if you almost completely block the ball but it trickles just behind you, you might still have time to reach back and stop it before it crosses the line.

That's why goalkeepers are almost always a step or two in front of the goal line, even when facing long shots where they can't really come out to cut down the angles.
It's tough to find hard info with a quick look. In addition to your pushing the ball outside the frame, pure lateral movement is not as strong as coupled with some forward motion, it's amost like they're running to the side. Strightening the leg when it's in rfont and your body is towards the side pushes you that way.

Looks like Petr Cech comesforward about one step, he also faked one way or the other which seems unusual. He might go further out towards his right. Don't know.

Manuel Neuer does the one step forward and side push also.

Last edited:
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Today's games

IMG_6573.jpg

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Stunning comeback by Argentina. Down 3 goals with 16 min left, they eventually tie it on a pk in extra time after yet another goalie is off the line and re take.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
On that retaken penalty, I again think that the keeper should be allowed to do what she did. It was barely half a step.

Clearly that's against the current rule, and current strict enforcement - I hope they change the rule.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
On that retaken penalty, I again think that the keeper should be allowed to do what she did. It was barely half a step.

Clearly that's against the current rule, and current strict enforcement - I hope they change the rule.
IMG_6575.PNG

That's pretty far. Could have been called before VAR.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The kicker gets a run at the ball but the goalie can't move? Why not just assign the goal after the penalty? I love the metric system and French fries but some soccer stuff is just retarded. It takes skill to make a penalty shot in hockey, soccer should strive towards that.

Eric

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The kicker gets a run at the ball but the goalie can't move? Why not just assign the goal after the penalty? I love the metric system and French fries but some soccer stuff is just retarded. It takes skill to make a penalty shot in hockey, soccer should strive towards that.

Eric

Well, the defense has the option to change the keeper on a penalty kick. If they went the direction of hockey allowing both players to move all they want, then soccer might just put their best fullback in to tackle the shooter instead of having the keeper in goal.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
The rule has always been the same. The goalie can move anywhere they want toas long as one foot is on the line. It's just enforced now outside of the referee. Which is actually much more fair.

Not that much different than baseball and the double play at second base. You used to be unofficially allowed to have your foot in the vicinity of the base as you threw to first. It would count as an out. Now with video replay you actually have to touch it.

Big game today!
US vs Sweden 3pm Eastern
IMG_6577.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, the defense has the option to change the keeper on a penalty kick. If they went the direction of hockey allowing both players to move all they want, then soccer might just put their best fullback in to tackle the shooter instead of having the keeper in goal.

Would that be so bad?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's pretty far. Could have been called before VAR.

You're missing my point, or perhaps I didn't state it well enough. I think the rule should be changed so that what the keeper did on that PK is not against the rules.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
You're missing my point, or perhaps I didn't state it well enough. I think the rule should be changed so that what the keeper did on that PK is not against the rules.
Changed to what exactly? You can't have a vague rule.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think the only real problem is that the rule was always quite specific but no one ever enforced it properly until now. Suddenly, it's being enforced, and it's catching out all of the goalies who have been breaking the rule for years.

If the strict enforcement continues, then goalies will soon change their habits and learn to move sideways before the ball is kicked. If the enforcement doesn't continue, then this tournament will just be a blip in history, and goalies will continue to move forward early.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Canada and the Netherlands are currently moving the ball back and forth. NED has been more dangerous except at the beginning.

Well.. NED just scored from a set piece.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Just about time for our girls to face off against Sweden!!! I'll only get to see the second half so please update with goings on! :popcorn:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
1-0 USA just turned it on. Afternoon meeting got cancelled and I'm working from home yay!

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Pretty good by US at 27min. Some highly questionable defensive passes though. They need to score again.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
LLoyd in for Morgan Press in for Lavelle. Tobin Heath scored on an incredible shot near the endline/6 yrd box. Then an interminable VAR check which they passed.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
How did the Heath nice goal turn into an own goal? I didn't see the touch.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online