• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women's Soccer World Cup 2019

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Seems like a good opportunity to reinforce the post-game handshake and why it's important and should be done. I hate giving in to bad behavior by removing the opportunity for it. I'd prefer those who behaved badly were taught and punished. Seems like the coaches, refs, and parents just don't want to deal with the kids bad behavior.
I once got feedback from another coach that one of our players was disrespectful during the post game handshake. I knew the other coach as a good coach and honest person giving me factual information. I had a talk with the kid's parents. We played that team again later in the season. Guess who got to apologize to everyone for previous bad behavior?

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
So France beat Norway 2-1 despite an own goal. Took the lead on a pk. Turn over at midfield led to Fr goal. France was better, but not playing great.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I always thought the coolest touchdown celebration is to just calmly hand the ball to the ref---" yeah, I've actually scored a touchdown or two before" The women could have been a bit more professional.

Barry Sanders! Fake out half the team and leave them lying on the ground before running through the other half to score a touchdown, then just drop the ball to the ground and jog back to the sideline.

I always disliked over-the-top celebrations in soccer, especially when one guy does all the work to set up a teammate for an easy tap-in, and then the guy who scores the tap-in runs off celebrating on his own as if he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Back when I was playing, especially when I was a forward, my dad always told me that the first thing I should do after scoring is high-five the guy who gave me the ball, because the chances are he did all of the work.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
So France beat Norway 2-1 despite an own goal. Took the lead on a pk. Turn over at midfield led to Fr goal. France was better, but not playing great.

Diani was very impressive in that game, ripping the Norwegian LB to pieces in the first half and then playing well at CF when Cascarino came on. Le Sommer looked dangerous as well and took the penalty well.

The Norwegians look like a potential dark horse. They're surprisingly fast and have three forwards who are quite good on the ball, in addition to two solid CBs.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Diani was very impressive in that game, ripping the Norwegian LB to pieces in the first half and then playing well at CF when Cascarino came on. Le Sommer looked dangerous as well and took the penalty well.

The Norwegians look like a potential dark horse. They're surprisingly fast and have three forwards who are quite good on the ball, in addition to two solid CBs.
Yes, some very impressive forwards. It was surprising though they weren't crisper given how many play together on Olympique Lyonnais. Is it seven?
While they deserved to win, they really only won by luck and almost tied by bad luck. An own goal, a pk saved them.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, some very impressive forwards. It was surprising though they weren't crisper given how many play together on Olympique Lyonnais. Is it seven?
While they deserved to win, they really only won by luck and almost tied by bad luck. An own goal, a pk saved them.

Yeah, something like 6 or 7 playing for Lyon in the French team. I think the lack of goals was due to the Norwegian CB’s. They broke up a lot of attacks and blocked a lot of shots.

But so far, I think the most impressive player I’ve seen has been Hermoso for Spain. She really dominated the middle against the Germans in a game that the Spanish should’ve won given the chances they created in the first half. The Germans were lucky to win that one.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I thought we were supposed to call defenders full backs in soccer because corner backs are American football defenders???

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I only watch the USWNT games... so whoever they play I see. That's more than enough time for me in front of the screen.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I thought we were supposed to call defenders full backs in soccer because corner backs are American football defenders???

CB stands for center back in soccer. Full backs are the wide defenders (or left back and right back when you’re being specific).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
CB stands for center back in soccer. Full backs are the wide defenders (or left back and right back when you’re being specific).
You confused me with the plural "CBs". I get that can happen in a 4 fullback set, but still always called them fullbacks as in RCFB and LCFB for the interior defenders.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
You confused me with the plural "CBs". I get that can happen in a 4 fullback set, but still always called them fullbacks as in RCFB and LCFB for the interior defenders.

Standard notation in Britain is GK, RB, CB, LB, RM, CM, LM, and ST. They don’t tend to distinguish between left and right for the center backs, center mids, and strikers, because the pairings tend to switch around a lot with the flow of play.

For more complicated formations, you might have CDM (central defensive mid), CAM (central attacking mid), CF (center forward), LW (left wing), or RW (right wing). The main difference between those and the standard positions is basically how much more or less forward they are compared to their counterparts.

The FIFA video games and increased coverage of the Premier League have made that notation more and more common in the US I think.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I grew up playing soccer in the US, and I witnessed first hand how smaller skilled players were dropped by top teams in favor of taller, faster players, usually starting around the U12 or U14 level.

I'm pretty sure part of the criteria for varsity was to have copious amounts of pubic hair.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Australia beats Brazil 3-2. VAR plays a pretty big role.

This on the Thai game:

Thailand keeper thanks Carli Lloyd: 'Your words that you told me make me strong'
Cassandra Negley
Yahoo Sports June 13, 2019

---------------------------
Carli Lloyd went over to Thailand goalkeeper Sukanya Chor Charoenying immediately after the final whistle to lend her support. She told the New York Times she wasn’t sure if the Thai player could understand her, but Lloyd gave her encouraging words anyway and the two walked off the pitch together.

IMG_6551.jpg
IMG_6552.JPG
https://sports.yahoo.com/thailand-k...hat-you-told-me-make-me-strong-152937469.html

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think this might be the year when the flaws in the US system (for both boys and girls) are highlighted for everyone to see. In the past, the US dominated the women's game mainly because of the athletic ability of the players. The US was one of the few teams that had top class female athletes playing for it, so even if a team was more skilled and better coached, the US could beat them simply by being bigger, stronger, and faster in every position.

Now, more and more teams are catching up to the US in terms of physicality, meaning that games against teams like France will come down to ball skills, tactics, and decision making rather than kicking farther, running faster, and jumping higher. And since the youth and adult coaches in places like France, Brazil, and Germany can draw on the many decades of experience and knowledge from the men's game, their teams will start to pull away from the US in this regard.

The US men's and women's teams still play a very old-fashion style of soccer that has been outdated for nearly three decades, and many of the players don't have the ball skills and positional awareness to be successful in a more modern style of play. It's the main reason I don't think the men's team will come close to winning a World Cup anytime soon, despite the fact that we now have high-level athletes playing the game on the men's side. Maybe, failure for the women's team will be the catalyst for a grass-roots change in the game in the US like the changes that followed the failure of England's "Golden Generation."

Unfortunately, I think the women will have to fail at two World Cups before the USSF gets the message.

Well, while this post describes the team and its style of play for many years, it isn't current. Ellis has retooled and rebooted and done a lot of stuff differently, especially after the women exited the Olympics so early. To be fair, when you have a player like Wambach, you are going to send long balls in at her head. That's just a personnel thing. And Morgan and her speed, sure, attack quickly. But now you have players like Lavelle and Heath, who are both super creative, and Pugh, who is small but deadly.

I absolutely LOVE seeing the other countries catch up. Obviously Thailand has a ways to go, but how amazing is it to see those women out there?? And that Chilean goalie was a beast against Sweden, should be interesting to see how she fares against a team that was clicking on all cylinders offensively. (No, they didn't have the greatest competition, but even hitting the net 13 times in a game is no small feat.)

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, while this post describes the team and its style of play for many years, it isn't current. Ellis has retooled and rebooted and done a lot of stuff differently, especially after the women exited the Olympics so early. To be fair, when you have a player like Wambach, you are going to send long balls in at her head. That's just a personnel thing. And Morgan and her speed, sure, attack quickly. But now you have players like Lavelle and Heath, who are both super creative, and Pugh, who is small but deadly.

I absolutely LOVE seeing the other countries catch up. Obviously Thailand has a ways to go, but how amazing is it to see those women out there?? And that Chilean goalie was a beast against Sweden, should be interesting to see how she fares against a team that was clicking on all cylinders offensively. (No, they didn't have the greatest competition, but even hitting the net 13 times in a game is no small feat.)

The problem is that it’s very difficult to change a national team’s style of play from the top down. If all of your top players grow up being taught to play one way and then you try to make them play a completely different style as adults, then they’ll struggle. So, the USSF needs to make sure that youth clubs are producing skilled, tactically smart players if they want to succeed with their new style of play.

European countries have an advantage in that they already have many decades of experience doing this on the men’s side of the game that they can transfer to the women’s side. They also have the club structure in place to seamlessly move players up through the levels from youth to professional, which they can simply expand. Also, since their professional teams are part of clubs that have men’s teams (like Arsenal, Lyon, and Atletico Madrid), they can pool resources and share facilities. So, all they really need to focus on is increasing youth participation in countries that are already mad for the game.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No wonder I never got selected for high school hockey... :eek::doh::roflmao:
There is occasionally a news story about a high school athlete that turns out to be in their 20s in high school using a fake identity. Imagine if you could Billy Madison back to high school and try out for the team again. Making As would be super easy. Get a scholarship free ride through college again.. Wait, school again?? No f'n way LOL!

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
13x "Gooooaaaaaallllllll" Telemundo Deportes.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lindsey Horan, of Golden, CO, was the first kid out of High School given a contract with Paris Saint-Germain. She skipped a scholarship to North Carolina to go. She had to leave after 4 yrs if she wanted to play for the US as US camps don't coincide with Euro schedules.

https://www.theringer.com/soccer/20...swnt-lindsay-horan-psg-france-portland-thorns

An interesting side note to the point about women being banned from playing professional soccer in Europe in the past, in England the ban was due to the fact that the women's game was seen as a threat to the men's game. Women's teams were drawing large crowds, sometimes larger than men's teams. And after WWI, there was a real desire to reinstate the men's supremacy/monopoly on the game; hence, the ban on women.

Obviously, men in those days wouldn't want to admit that they would struggle to compete with women to draw crowds, so it's not surprising that they would make up an excuse like they did.

Sponsor

Staff online