• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women's Soccer World Cup 2019

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You forget that changing the schedule would mean that the most important games of the MLS season (the championship playoffs) would end up in May instead of October, meaning much better weather for fans.

I just want to say that October weather is usually better than May weather. Carry on.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Well they won "Best Team" at the Espy's. As long as the Patriot's didn't win...
I liked Sandra Bullock's joke- something like- "To me as an actress, 'Team' means people who make me look good."
Most of them were way over made up, but it was done on the plane.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Both leagues are playing in September and October. The number of NFL games doesn’t increase in November, so the logistics don’t change compared to earlier in the season.

In England, they have rugby and soccer going at the same time. They play in separate stadiums. Maybe it’s time for more MLS teams to move into dedicated stadiums. If they really want the league to grow in stature, then that’s the direction they need to be heading.

MLS only uses 3 NFL stadiums plus shares 3 other stadiums. The rest of the MLS (18 other teams) have dedicated soccer stadiums. The MLS recognized that they could make money in the summer. Nobody wants to compete with the NFL, especially a once a week sport like soccer. It has been the right decision as they have been averaging over 21k since 2015 (2000 avg 13.7K) and have been able to justify building 17 soccer stadiums since 1999.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
MSL would fail against NFL head to head same season here the same way NFL would fail head to head against top tier soccer same season schedule in Europe (or any other market).

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
MSL would fail against NFL head to head same season here the same way NFL would fail head to head against top tier soccer same season schedule in Europe (or any other market).
I personally think that's the biggest factor. Even if you played MLS games on Saturday's, soccer would probably be significantly hurt by college football.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
I personally think that's the biggest factor. Even if you played MLS games on Saturday's, soccer would probably be significantly hurt by college football.
Yes, likely. Though maybe the fan base is different? Having soccer specific arenas is good.
I went to a wedding in Columbus, Ohio once in the fall. You basically cannot do it on any weekend that Ohio State has a home game if you want a restaraunt for the reception. I guess restaraunts make more off football people and don't want your wedding party choking the revenue stream.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
All I can say, is if the women's game ends up with all the flopping and theatrics of the men's game, I won't give a ratx ass about watching or caring about outcomes. From the games and replays of the WWC, it seems too late to stop the theme. Too bad.

Men and women alike look pathetic flopping and rolling on the ground with no contact.

I say, post game video review and game suspensions! Nip it NOW!

I just hope the infection doesn't spread to ice hockey.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
All I can say, is if the women's game ends up with all the flopping and theatrics of the men's game, I won't give a ratx ass about watching or caring about outcomes. From the games and replays of the WWC, it seems too late to stop the theme. Too bad.

Men and women alike look pathetic flopping and rolling on the ground with no contact.

I say, post game video review and game suspensions! Nip it NOW!

I just hope the infection doesn't spread to ice hockey.
You didn’t watch the hockey playoffs? It’s here.

The flopping in women’s wcup wasn’t too bad.
Mexico- US men, pretty bad on the Mexican side. If someone does that they should be forced to play two men down for a bit or until the other team scores.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
If my team pays a dude $20 million+ a season he better be able to deliver a Shakespearean soliloquy every time someone breathes in his direction; could not care less if the opposition thinks it's tedious. :rolleyes:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
If my team pays a dude $20 million+ a season he better be able to deliver a Shakespearean soliloquy every time someone breathes in his direction; could not care less if the opposition thinks it's tedious. :rolleyes:
Interesting standard.

At the National level, I would hope each nation's team member would play for their Nation.
Regardless of other attributes or capabilities.

LuliTheYounger

Skier
Interesting standard.

At the National level, I would hope each nation's team member would play for their Nation.
Regardless of other attributes or capabilities.

Meh. I think everyone knows who the actors are on the competitive national teams, and if the ref is dense enough to fall for one of ours, I'd rather we get a stupid win than a stupid loss. It's a little bit like fighting in NA hockey; there's limits on how far you should go, but I'm not gonna fuss that much about it if it derails a game in our favor.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Fights in the NHL are to keep players from "playing to the limits of the rules".
Health and well being at stake! Players know what's going on .
Soccer might do well to embrace public shaming...
Kinder ,gentler, sort of ......

LuliTheYounger

Skier
Fights in the NHL are to keep players from "playing to the limits of the rules".
Health and well being at stake! Players know what's going on .
Soccer might do well to embrace public shaming...
Kinder ,gentler, sort of ......

Right, which is the same as diving - it's theater to show that you can retaliate if the other team gets too aggressive. I think it's overdone or poorly executed by some teams, but I could say the same about a lot of the hairbrained hockey shenanigans I've seen. Different methods, same basic theory, imo.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
MLS only uses 3 NFL stadiums plus shares 3 other stadiums. The rest of the MLS (18 other teams) have dedicated soccer stadiums. The MLS recognized that they could make money in the summer. Nobody wants to compete with the NFL, especially a once a week sport like soccer. It has been the right decision as they have been averaging over 21k since 2015 (2000 avg 13.7K) and have been able to justify building 17 soccer stadiums since 1999.

In that case, the whole discussion about the logistics of sharing stadiums with the NFL in the fall is a bit pointless.

The problem that the MLS currently faces is that the most important games of the season are already overlapping with the NFL and college football as well as the end of the baseball season. So, they're playing their play-offs right when the MLB is finishing up its post-season, NCAA teams are getting into their conference schedules, and the NFL is hitting its stride.

And as we mentioned before, the mid-season games clash with major international tournaments a lot of summers, as well as the Olympics.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
In that case, the whole discussion about the logistics of sharing stadiums with the NFL in the fall is a bit pointless.

The problem that the MLS currently faces is that the most important games of the season are already overlapping with the NFL and college football as well as the end of the baseball season. So, they're playing their play-offs right when the MLB is finishing up its post-season, NCAA teams are getting into their conference schedules, and the NFL is hitting its stride.

And as we mentioned before, the mid-season games clash with major international tournaments a lot of summers, as well as the Olympics.
Which brings us back to the equal pay issue where US men give up a bigger MSL paycheck to go play on the NT than US women give up to leave their pro team. So, USWNT can lure them over for a lower paycheck than UWMNT can. It's not so much about the international play revenues as it is about the US pro team pay disparity. But, it really should be about the national team revenues. Instead, it's the powers that be leveraging another pay disparity dynamic.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Which brings us back to the equal pay issue where US men give up a bigger MSL paycheck to go play on the NT than US women give up to leave their pro team. So, USWNT can lure them over for a lower paycheck than UWMNT can. It's not so much about the international play revenues as it is about the US pro team pay disparity. But, it really should be about the national team revenues. Instead, it's the powers that be leveraging another pay disparity dynamic.

I guarantee you that no US men need to be lured with a significantly bigger payout than the women given that, for most, national team games are a stage to showcase their skill and land a bigger contract in a foreign league, especially in the World Cup. Even for the older players who have come back to the MLS, like Bradley and Altidore, I doubt that a smaller payout would stop them from turning out for the national team.

But again, this is all in the hands of the USSF and MLS. If they want, they can schedule in breaks for international competitions even without switching to a school-year schedule. The women's league already does that, and the European leagues do the same for all of the friendlies and qualifying matches for the Euros and World Cup that take place during their regular seasons.

There really aren't any valid excuses for the USSF paying the women a fraction of what they pay the men. As it stands, it looks like they're only doing it because they've been able to get away with it so far, not because there's a compelling reason for it. And since the women's team is a bigger cash cow for the USSF than the men's team these days, that looks like a foolish decision. They stand to lose a lot of money if the women decide to go on strike.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I guarantee you that no US men need to be lured with a significantly bigger payout than the women given that, for most, national team games are a stage to showcase their skill and land a bigger contract in a foreign league, especially in the World Cup. Even for the older players who have come back to the MLS, like Bradley and Altidore, I doubt that a smaller payout would stop them from turning out for the national team.
Christian Pulisic says hi. Chelsea just paid a $73 millon transfer fee to get him from Borussia Dortmund. There are about 34 men on the USMNT roster playing in Europe.

But again, this is all in the hands of the USSF and MLS. If they want, they can schedule in breaks for international competitions even without switching to a school-year schedule. The women's league already does that, and the European leagues do the same for all of the friendlies and qualifying matches for the Euros and World Cup that take place during their regular seasons.

The MLS exists to make money and they seem to be doing that with the current schedule.

There really aren't any valid excuses for the USSF paying the women a fraction of what they pay the men. As it stands, it looks like they're only doing it because they've been able to get away with it so far, not because there's a compelling reason for it. And since the women's team is a bigger cash cow for the USSF than the men's team these days, that looks like a foolish decision. They stand to lose a lot of money if the women decide to go on strike.

The global draw is greater for the men's game vs the women's game. The 9 NWSL teams averaged 6024/game in 2018. The 24 MLS teams have averaged over 20K since 2015. Then consider all the USMNT roster players in Europe. The US men also draw more per match in the US vs the US women. There is a difference.

Here’s the 2018 USMNT attendance for home matches:

1/28/18 – Friendly – USA vs. Bosnia & Herzegovina – StubHub Center – 11,161
3/27/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Paraguay – WakeMed Soccer Park – 9,825
5/28/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Bolivia – Talen Energy Stadium – 11,882
9/7/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Brazil – MetLife Stadium – 32,489
9/11/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Mexico – Nissan Stadium – 40,194
10/11/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Colombia – Raymond James Stadium – 38,631
10/16/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Peru – Pratt & Whitney Stadium – 24,959

• Total Attendance: 169,141
• Average Attendance: 24,163
https://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/12/12/usmnt-average-attendance-2018-worst-since-2006/

Here are the attendance figures for the USWNT in 2018:

1/21/18 – Friendly – USA vs. Denmark – SDCCU Stadium – 17,526
3/1/18
– She Believes Cup – USA vs. Germany – Mapfre Stadium – 14,591
3/4/18
– She Believes Cup – USA vs. France – Red Bull Arena – 25,706
3/7/18
– She Believes Cup – USA vs. England – Orlando City Stadium – 12,351
4/5/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Mexico – TIAA Bank Field – 14,360
4/8/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Mexico – BBVA Compass Stadium – 15,349
6/7/18
– Friendly – USA vs. China – Rio Tinto Stadium – 13,230
6/12/18
– Friendly – USA vs. China – First Energy Stadium – 12,335
7/26/18
– Tournament of Nations – USA vs. Japan – Children’s Mercy Park – 18,467
7/29/18
– Tournament of Nations – USA vs. Australia – Pratt & Whitney Stadium – 21,570
8/2/18
– Tournament of Nations – USA vs. Brazil – Toyota Park – 18,309
8/31/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Chile – StubHub Center – 23,544
9/4/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Chile – Avaya Stadium – 14,340
10/4/18
– Women’s World Cup qualifier – USA vs. Mexico – WakeMed Soccer Park – 5,404
10/7/18
– WWCQ – USA vs. Panama – WakeMed Soccer Park – 7,532
10/10/18
– WWCQ – USA vs. Trinidad & Tobago – WakeMed Soccer Park – 3,996
10/14/18
– WWCQ – USA vs. Jamaica – Toyota Stadium – 7,555
10/17/18
– WWCQ – USA vs. Canada – Toyota Stadium – 6,986

• Total Attendance: 253,151
• Average Attendance: 14,064
https://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/12/13/uswnt-average-attendance-declines-22-percent-in-2018/

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^What he said. Most of the best US men are ALREADY earning big coin in Euroball. Definitely takes more $incentive$ to get them to commit to USNT play. Some of the women are too.. but again for much lower pay... so they're easier to pull in to the WNT. I guess the benefits are good enough so that the org can avoid paying them a fair wage.... kinda like ski instructors... a hobby that comes with cool benefits, not much of a viable career unless you're the ski school director... and that's because there are plenty of qualified or mostly qualified folks who will work part time for free skiing, employee parking, and gear storage lockers..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The only problem is if the USWNT becomes like the men's team, we might not care about them either. Currently, even though they'd be destroyed by our questionable men's team, they are far more compelling.
Similar to Women's ski racing. The women are more compelling to watch.

Christian Pulisic says hi. Chelsea just paid a $73 millon transfer fee to get him from Borussia Dortmund. There are about 34 men on the USMNT roster playing in Europe.

The MLS exists to make money and they seem to be doing that with the current schedule.

The global draw is greater for the men's game vs the women's game. The 9 NWSL teams averaged 6024/game in 2018. The 24 MLS teams have averaged over 20K since 2015. Then consider all the USMNT roster players in Europe. The US men also draw more per match in the US vs the US women. There is a difference.

Here’s the 2018 USMNT attendance for home matches:

1/28/18 – Friendly – USA vs. Bosnia & Herzegovina – StubHub Center – 11,161
3/27/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Paraguay – WakeMed Soccer Park – 9,825
5/28/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Bolivia – Talen Energy Stadium – 11,882
9/7/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Brazil – MetLife Stadium – 32,489
9/11/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Mexico – Nissan Stadium – 40,194
10/11/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Colombia – Raymond James Stadium – 38,631
10/16/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Peru – Pratt & Whitney Stadium – 24,959

• Total Attendance: 169,141
• Average Attendance: 24,163
https://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/12/12/usmnt-average-attendance-2018-worst-since-2006/

Here are the attendance figures for the USWNT in 2018:

1/21/18 – Friendly – USA vs. Denmark – SDCCU Stadium – 17,526
3/1/18
– She Believes Cup – USA vs. Germany – Mapfre Stadium – 14,591
3/4/18
– She Believes Cup – USA vs. France – Red Bull Arena – 25,706
3/7/18
– She Believes Cup – USA vs. England – Orlando City Stadium – 12,351
4/5/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Mexico – TIAA Bank Field – 14,360
4/8/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Mexico – BBVA Compass Stadium – 15,349
6/7/18
– Friendly – USA vs. China – Rio Tinto Stadium – 13,230
6/12/18
– Friendly – USA vs. China – First Energy Stadium – 12,335
7/26/18
– Tournament of Nations – USA vs. Japan – Children’s Mercy Park – 18,467
7/29/18
– Tournament of Nations – USA vs. Australia – Pratt & Whitney Stadium – 21,570
8/2/18
– Tournament of Nations – USA vs. Brazil – Toyota Park – 18,309
8/31/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Chile – StubHub Center – 23,544
9/4/18
– Friendly – USA vs. Chile – Avaya Stadium – 14,340
10/4/18
– Women’s World Cup qualifier – USA vs. Mexico – WakeMed Soccer Park – 5,404
10/7/18
– WWCQ – USA vs. Panama – WakeMed Soccer Park – 7,532
10/10/18
– WWCQ – USA vs. Trinidad & Tobago – WakeMed Soccer Park – 3,996
10/14/18
– WWCQ – USA vs. Jamaica – Toyota Stadium – 7,555
10/17/18
– WWCQ – USA vs. Canada – Toyota Stadium – 6,986

• Total Attendance: 253,151
• Average Attendance: 14,064
https://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/12/13/uswnt-average-attendance-declines-22-percent-in-2018/
That's just the attendance at the actual matches, then there is the tv coverage.
I'm not a big soccer fan, but I watched some last week because it was exciting

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
^^^What he said. Most of the best US men are ALREADY earning big coin in Euroball. Definitely takes more $incentive$ to get them to commit to USNT play...
Depends on who you believe:
Given most Euro leagues break for these national level games, I’m inclined to believe the latter. The players need no incentives to leave their “regular” league game. Instead, they’ll be playing to show off their skills and potential for future contracts.

That said, I wonder the poor showing of the US men’s national team may mean the players have less motivation to play in it. Thereby needing more $$ to be a part of the team than the women players?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online