• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Was just perusing some bargain offers and saw a really nice price on a set of woman's 184cm Cham 107s. That got me to thinking: between weight (now down to about 72kg (160lb) and having passed the 68-year mark, might I be better off on that ski than on the men's equivalent length? What, if any, trade-offs?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why not get in touch with your feminine side. Be careful thought, many women's skis are not different than their unisex counterparts and NOT all are softer and/or lighter. IIRC, the Cham L's were the same as the Cham HM's (High Mountain), their touring ski. I actually liked the HM better than the regular Cham 107's which were very heavy and very stiff. There are a lot of skis in this range that you don't need to have the women's graphics an still have a softer flexing more complaint ski. It comes down to, what is your objective in this ski?

TS
Jim McDonald

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Hmmmm, harvesting snarky comments from bro-brahs on the lift and then leaving them eating snowdust as they try to keep up? That would be fun.
But really just thinking there may be alternatives to find the best ski for myself within a given set of objectives, i.e. a one-ski quiver for my typical Japan venues.
I have a lot of time to ponder these mysteries before I'll need to restock the ski closet.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Hmmmm, harvesting snarky comments from bro-brahs on the lift and then leaving them eating snowdust as they try to keep up?

This is an extremely worthy cause.

Remember @kimmyt , @RachelV , and me in some mellow trees at Crested Butte. Three bro-brahs picking their way through, clearly very impressed with themselves. Kim to us: "Let's chick 'em!" ... and we did.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
What is your height? Because, just going off your weight, you could go either way. You're going to be hard-pressed to find many women's skis to choose from in a longer length- I'm actually surprised that the Chams are available in a 184. Ask @SBrown , who iirc mostly skis unisex skis because most women's skis are in length more suitable for a height challenged person.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What is your height? Because, just going off your weight, you could go either way. You're going to be hard-pressed to find many women's skis to choose from in a longer length- I'm actually surprised that the Chams are available in a 184. Ask @SBrown , who iirc mostly skis unisex skis because most women's skis are in length more suitable for a height challenged person.

maybe you should rephrase that before he changes his name to Bruce.....:)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We don't judge here. But there are some softer unisex skis that will work very well for you.

TS
Jim McDonald

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Just to clarify, I don't ski switch -- NTTAWWT ;)
I top out at 187cm (6'2")
It was just a thought when I saw that those Cham 107Ws were available in 184 length, and I recall that over the years have seen plenty of males asking for ski advice who gave their weight at well under 150 lbs so a thread might be worthwhile.

Sponsor

Staff online