• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hey everyone! My girlfriend is in the market for some fat-ish skis. Thinking 106-110ish skis. She has Nordica Santa Ana 93's in a 163. She appreciates the stability of those skis and shes getting better at driving them, but something softer and floaty is in order. She isnt the most aggressive skier in the whole world either. 5'6, 120lbs.

The two options that have been narrowed down so far:

Salomon QST 106 - 167
Volkl 100 Eight - 165

What else would you suggest?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I really like my Atris Birdies in soft snow. I haven't loved them so much in crud (which is a problem in the PNW since powder turns into the consistency of feta cheese around midday). They ski short, so I would recommend the 169 (I think I could have sized up to the 178).

The QST/Stellas were also a lot of fun, and if you're looking for a deal, the outgoing Backland 109 and Pandora 110 are pretty popular with a lot of my gal pals across a pretty large range of ski styles/ability levels. Santa Ana 110 has also gotten a lot of love from reviewers and is the only thing I'd think about replacing the Atris with since it handles crud better. Not necessarily softer, but might be worth a look if she loves the 93.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Subscribed. Wife needs new 100-ish skis. Currently leaning towards Black Pearl 98s, since she loves her 88s.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
DPS Zelda 106
Blizzard Sheeva 11

Paging @Tricia to the Pugski Courtesy Phone
These two skis are pretty incredible, but I'd also add:

For someone who likes the Enforcer 93 as a daily driver, I'd consider the K2 LuvBoat or Dynastar Legend 106 as well.
I'll have to check to see what length the Legend is available.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I showed my wife the Blizzard Sheeva 11, Nordica Santa Ana 110 and the Icelantic Maiden 111. I figured she would get along with any of those as her current daily driver(s) are a Santa Ana 93 and a J Skis Whipit. While maybe not the most scientific of methods, she chose the Icelantic Maiden 111's for a powder ski because she absolutely adores the topsheet.. If I remember I'll post up how she likes them later this season once she gets to ski them.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another ski I should have added but forgot, if for no other reason than I didn't actually get to ski it in powder is the Liberty Genesis 106.
I put my "not really a review, review" here with my 83+ mm ski reviews.

This ski was one of those skis that I didn't ski in the conditions it was meant to be skied, but I had a good feeling about it and am looking forward to a time when I can ski it in real powder. Liberty did a fantastic job with this construction.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+ 1 on the Liberty Genesis

Haven't skied the DPS or Salomon, so cannot compare. Wanted very much to try the Atomic Backland 109 but couldn't find one. So went with the Volkl 100-Eight after demoing and liking it very much. Fun ski.

Then it was ruined (long story), so was given the Liberty Envy (precursor to the Genesis 106) as a replacement. Can't say no to free, right? Absolutely love that ski. Just as strong as the Volkl when driven, but more forgiving, Just as fun in the bumps (where the Volkl excels IMO), just as able to hold on hard-pack, floats better in the powder, and a lot more maneuverable in the trees.

Never been so happy to have someone ruin my skis!

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With this description, the OP's girlfriend needs something a little more nimble than the Icelandic Maiden
When I look at this ski I see camber underfoot and a ton of rocker in both the tip and tail plus a relatively short turning radius and it doesn't seem terribly stiff when I hand flex it compared to her other skis, to my understanding of skis that seems to be a very nimble and fun shape to ski in powder. Now given that I've not skied it and it still hasn't snowed here for my wife to tell me how the ski acts.. I am genuinely interested in your reasoning behind that sentence.

TS
Jtlange

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks everyone. Some really great insight!

I think the main concern is going to be balancing how well the ski deals with soft chop while remaining soft and nimble enough for her to feel comfortable. I daily drove the Rustler 10 all last year and got a Rustler 11 for this year and I like the series so a Sheeva will be added to the list along with the Liberty Genesis. The Atris birdie would be a good choice I think as well but it comes in a 160 and a 169 length which might be a little long for her. Did Rossi beef up the Soul 7 enough to deal with soft chop?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@e_greene Can probably give you a lot more insight.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I think the main concern is going to be balancing how well the ski deals with soft chop while remaining soft and nimble enough for her to feel comfortable. I daily drove the Rustler 10 all last year and got a Rustler 11 for this year and I like the series so a Sheeva will be added to the list along with the Liberty Genesis. The Atris birdie would be a good choice I think as well but it comes in a 160 and a 169 length which might be a little long for her. Did Rossi beef up the Soul 7 enough to deal with soft chop?

The Atris skis short. My other pair of skis is a Line Pandora 95, which is a little softer, but otherwise pretty similar to the Santa Ana 93 with their shorter turn radius and stiffer tails. My Pandoras are a 162, and the Atris feels like it skis shorter. I'm 5-2/108 and I wish I had a longer option that wasn't quite 178. The biggest difference I've noticed is the balance point, since the tails are shorter/softer/have more rocker than the Pandoras. I'm going to give them a bit more time, but might trade them in for the Santa Ana 110 or dig up a Line Supernatural 108 if I keep getting bucked around in the chunder.

Soul7s could be a good choice. A group of gals I climb with tried them and all 4 of them ended up getting a pair last spring. 2 had been skiing either the Sky7s or the old Savory 7s and both noted the new Souls were an upgrade in terms of stability. They're all solid skiers that can get down anything at the resort, but aren't super aggressive about speed and like to keep their skis on the ground.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The Atris skis short. My other pair of skis is a Line Pandora 95, which is a little softer, but otherwise pretty similar to the Santa Ana 93 with their shorter turn radius and stiffer tails. My Pandoras are a 162, and the Atris feels like it skis shorter. I'm 5-2/108 and I wish I had a longer option that wasn't quite 178. The biggest difference I've noticed is the balance point, since the tails are shorter/softer/have more rocker than the Pandoras. I'm going to give them a bit more time, but might trade them in for the Santa Ana 110 or dig up a Line Supernatural 108 if I keep getting bucked around in the chunder.

Soul7s could be a good choice. A group of gals I climb with tried them and all 4 of them ended up getting a pair last spring. 2 had been skiing either the Sky7s or the old Savory 7s and both noted the new Souls were an upgrade in terms of stability. They're all solid skiers that can get down anything at the resort, but aren't super aggressive about speed and like to keep their skis on the ground.

:eek::eek::eek:

You are tiny and light as a feather. :daffy:

You might not need too wide of a ski or too stiff of a ski. 110 is mighty wide for someone your size.

I liked the Soul 7's (original) but it was a tale of two skis. They felt nice underfoot but way too soft at the extremities. The new ones have a more even flex but still exhibit that characteristic. The old Nordica Patron was somewhat like that but not as soft at the tips, loved it. Superb ski for someone lighter.

The Atris is definitely a ski I want to try.

For those in Colorado this is a MUST go to event: https://christysports.com/loveland-demo-day/

I went there last year and it was awesome. It did help that about a foot of snow fell the day prior :D

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don’t get it either. But I’ve know enough women my size who reach for Dakotas and Shiros to know weight’s only part of the equation. Wouldn’t be surprised if the maritime snowpack has an impact on strength/ski style/ski selection, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard some version of “I was so intimidated by these skis, but the ended up making skiing easier! And more fun!”

Agreed on width though - after demoing the 100s & the 110s, a 105 would totally be my sweet spot

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Subscribed. Wife needs new 100-ish skis. Currently leaning towards Black Pearl 98s, since she loves her 88s.
You're barking up the right tree with those. The Sheeva 10 should also be on the list.

So, she skis a lot like me and has similar stats. The Santa Ana 100 was very smooth and stable, although not as nimble as the Sheeva, which allows me to pick my way through chop and powder without kicking my butt for it.

Sponsor

Staff online