• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women's Intermediate Ski Suggestions?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not for me of course.

I have a colleague/friend that I skied with for the first time this weekend. I would call her an intermediate, maybe a level 5 on the level 1-9 scale but she definitely wants to progress. Anyhow, I about fell over when I saw her skis. She is 5'1 1/2", average but muscular build, and skiing on a pair of 148 Rossignol Avalon skis which appears to be an old park ski. They almost look like a junior ski but I can't find much info on them. She is strong physically so I think these are just too little ski, especially when she's in anything bumpy or soft.

I'm honestly not real familiar with skis for this level skier so I'm looking for suggestions on model and size for her as she continues to progress in her skills, however, she did a real bang up job on an ACL tear with micro-fractures in her tibia a couple years ago (I warned her that taking Friday the 13th off was a bad idea as she reported to me at the time ;) so she doesn't want something to aggressive either. And if anyone happens to have a pair of skis lying around that they're interested in selling she might be up for that.

Suggestions?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Do you think that she would be interested in a carver or all mountain ski? The Avalon was a park ski with a wood core. Not a bad ski for park, but as a daily driver....I'm thinking it belonged to one of the kids, or swap deal. Right length, wrong ski.

But carver or all mountain?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not for me of course.

I have a colleague/friend that I skied with for the first time this weekend. I would call her an intermediate, maybe a level 5 on the level 1-9 scale but she definitely wants to progress. Anyhow, I about fell over when I saw her skis. She is 5'1 1/2", average but muscular build, and skiing on a pair of 148 Rossignol Avalon skis which appears to be an old park ski. They almost look like a junior ski but I can't find much info on them. She is strong physically so I think these are just too little ski, especially when she's in anything bumpy or soft.

I'm honestly not real familiar with skis for this level skier so I'm looking for suggestions on model and size for her as she continues to progress in her skills, however, she did a real bang up job on an ACL tear with micro-fractures in her tibia a couple years ago (I warned her that taking Friday the 13th off was a bad idea as she reported to me at the time ;) so she doesn't want something to aggressive either. And if anyone happens to have a pair of skis lying around that they're interested in selling she might be up for that.

Suggestions?
Sorry I missed this earlier.
The Avalon isn't going to turn nicely for her, and its a bit too short (as you suggested). With the ACL/Tib injury, she's probably a little tentative on that side.
Go for something like the Total Joy, or Blizzard Quattro, or Dynastar Glory 84, or even the Volkl Yumi. All of these skis will help her with turn shape and will grow with her for some time. Stay with something in the high 150cm's in length at the shortest, but don't go too long because the transition to something much longer may throw her off.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No worries. Thanks for your thoughts. She is definitely on the tentative side and, oddly, she's dealing with a husband who is extremely nervous that she's going to hurt herself again, to the point that he doesn't really want her to ski.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No worries. Thanks for your thoughts. She is definitely on the tentative side and, oddly, she's dealing with a husband who is extremely nervous that she's going to hurt herself again, to the point that he doesn't really want her to ski.
On the wrong equipment, she's more likely to hurt herself. Getting on something more to her skill set and with better edges....ya know.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, exactly what I told her. Nevermind some of the technique things that she's picked up from him. :doh:

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Santa brought my wife a pair of the Head Super Joy for Christmas. She can be a timid skier at times due to an injury she sustained several years ago.
She has been very pleased with the ski and I noticed a real improvement in her edging and turns.
They were pretty reasonable on the wallet too!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the Super Joy is probably more advanced that my friend is but I know @Tricia likes the ski. And I love my Great Joys of course.

The good news is she has his buy in on getting new skis so she'll probably demo here in the next few weeks.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just an update. My friend is demoing skis today. She was able to get the Total Joy and the K2 Alluvit.

She is in love with the Total Joy. She said they made skiing so much easier, they gave her more confidence. She could go faster because she could knew she'd be able to get an edge.

She didn't like the Alluvit as much. They were chattery for her and she felt like she had to fight them a bit.

Sponsor