• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women's Heated Gloves or Mittens

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone had experience with these, particularly women? If some men have that's cool, I don't judge. Do some of them work as well as or bette than chemical inserts?

I really am asking for someone else.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am very happy with my Hestra heated gloves. They are pretty warm even when turned off. There are 3 power settings and enough battery power to last all day as long as the highest setting is not used all day and it is rarely cold enough for that to happen.

The gauntlet cuff is a little on the snug side and the price is over $400CDN but that makes then cheaper in Canada than the US...so for those going to the Whistler Gathering is might be a good place to purchase, but the high price might mean no one has them in stock. The Canadian distributor is located in Vancouver.

Heated gloves are best suited for those with chronic cold hands or someone like me who works at a shop and can purchase them for below wholesale resulting in a more reasonable price.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
My mom and a good friend of mine both have the hestra heated mittens.

They are both NOTORIOUSLY cold and suffer from Raynaud's syndrome. So yeah....they work. And if you use them sparingly, they work well for the entire day.

When I say "sparingly" I mean--have them on the lowest setting, and then adjust accordingly if you get too cold...you can up it to setting 2.

Bottom line? They work.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have perpetually cold hands (type 1 diabetic) and I got the Outdoor Research Lucent Mittens. I first tried the gloves, didn't quite do it for me, the mitts are great, very warm, good fit. Really well constructed. I love these things.

That said, they now have the Capstone gloves (men's and women's) with two batteries for each glove, twice the heat available, or having them last twice as long, depending how you use them. I might have to spring for a pair.

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't have them, so cannot answer the question. I do have friends who use them and seem happy, although batteries seem to be a crapshoot in really cold weather.

My hands are perpetually cold, and for me, and if you don't mind being ostentatious, Astis mitts have made a world of difference. I was between sizes and went up, which probably helps with more of a pocket of air. I wear very thin liners because it's impossible to do anything with your hands while wearing them, but these things are money. Add a chemical warmer if needed.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a company in Calgary called Power in Motion that markets heated glove liners for $235CDN and $222US to American customers. I guess you are supposed to supply the over mitt or glove. Seems like a decent price, relatively speaking.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Someone had a heated glove that they had purchased at Costco. I'm thinking it was for the hockey moms. You needed an overmitt/glove to keep it waterproof. Haven't seen them at our Costco. Maybe it was from this Calgary company.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@SkiNurse and @Tricia have tested the Thermic IC1300 PowerGloves -- in fact, a review is coming out shortly. The verdict was two (toasty) thumbs up. I think @SkiNurse has tried some other heated mittens but they didn't really work for some reason. Maybe she can chime in.
Finally chiming in.
I have very cold hands and have to wear some sort of glove a lot of the time hiking during the summer. During the the ski season (and yes, this includes spring), I wear a either Hestra or Black Diamond mitts (never gloves unless it is >40 degrees & no wind), glove liners and 1-3 hand warmers in each mitten. I still get cold. Cold hands will get me off the mountain when it hurts to hold my poles. No, I don't have Reynauds....yet. I tried Columbia's heated glove, but they are too bulky for the size of my hands. I felt like one or King Arthur's Knights going into a jousting battle. Consequently, I can't give them a fair review about the heat. The Thermic IC 1300 PowerGloves, however, fit me like a glove. I only wore them from the last week of April through the end of the lift-turned season in May.

Like I said, fit my hands very well. Didn't have any weird lumps or bulkiness with the wires. These gloves were as warm as my mittens (in different warmth combination) with the correlating low-medium-high setting. It was nice to be able to wear gloves, as opposed to mittens, for dexterity. I'm looking forward to trying these gloves out during actual winter. The only thing I didn't like about them was lack of battery life. No matter which setting, the batteries didn't last more than 4 hours.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online