• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s World Cup 2021

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
UVM skier. Just graduated last year. Saw her at lots of races the last few years around the Northeast.

Paula skied for UVM and raced NORAMS when she could. Earned World Cup starts with her NORAM results (and National results?) and supported herself entering WC races in Europe.Her boy friend was her tech and coach. A really solid skier, and a determined one. While now getting some US Ski team support she'd really doing this by herself. NCAA Champions don't get much respect from the team establishment, knowing that one wonders what she'd be doing if she'd had that respect and support. I believe this year she has a coach, her boy friend is still her tech.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bassino, Brignone went 1-2 in Killington last year also. They’re not large. Brignone is tiny.

I can’t find a good picture of the Brignone, Bassino, Goggia podium from the Aspen World Cup Finals in 2017 where Brignone is clearly the shortest of the three. Just from watching Brignone race, how she skis, before that I would never have guessed that.

James

Out There
Instructor
I can’t find a good picture of the Brignone, Bassino, Goggia podium from the Aspen World Cup Finals in 2017 where Brignone is clearly the shortest of the three. Just from watching Brignone race, how she skis, before that I would never have guessed that.
I was at the Bib draw last year at Killington and pretty close to the stage. She’s definitely small. She’s listed as 5’6” but she doesn’t look it in street clothes.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
What happened to Robinson in run 2?
I was sad to see that, as a kiwi I'm always rooting for Robinson. Looked like she was throwing everything she had into that run but came a little unstuck. Maybe it's just the risk of having such an aggressive style. It was shaping up to be a great run too!

I assumed she might have had a pretty good off season of training in covid-free New Zealand, but apparently because of the country's tight restrictions her coach and team weren't able to enter the country, so it was all a bit lower intensity before she flew to Europe in August.

Still have high hopes for her performance over the rest of the season!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Couple of observations.

Alice is a fiery competitor. She just "sent it" in that second run, as she likely wanted to move up to the podium, maybe the win. As she put it, she "risked it for the biscuit", and was pinned at the limit. Impressive to me. Not like we have a single American her age in sight of her level. She was not content to just be "in the points." Young lady is a winner, a champ.

Paula Moltzan. Yes, most recently she was skiing at UVM, while earning a handful of WC starts, before make USST criteria and re-joining the team system this year. She has followed the path of being selected for the USST D team very young, some advancement, then dropped like a stone. I believe that 5-6 years ago she was in MS's training group. UVM was a great change for her, a great experience according to those who know her well. And yes, Ryan, her BF is "legit" as a tech, an assistant, and a great source of support. Surprised that there has been no mention of her fitness this season....and of her smaller frame. Word is is that she has dropped 20-30 lbs of weight, while adding some muscle mass. Combination of her work, and some diet changes. She looked great on Saturday. Very impressive move.

BTW, very impressive work by the course crew and snow surface crew at Soelden. That held up beautifully for the women. Rarely do you see so many women with bibs in the 50's let alone 60's having the first run results that they did.

Fingers crossed for the season, COVID-wise.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Surprised that there has been no mention of her fitness this season....and of her smaller frame. Word is is that she has dropped 20-30 lbs of weight, while adding some muscle mass. Combination of her work, and some diet changes. She looked great on Saturday. Very impressive move.
Haha, I thought her GS suit was fitting a little differently. I had a friend text me yesterday asking about her & thought to myself that it would be rude to call her "chubby" ;) . I've seen plenty of racers work to put weight on but few take it off.
Up till now, wasn't she primarily a SL skier?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Haha, I thought her GS suit was fitting a little differently. I had a friend text me yesterday asking about her & thought to myself that it would be rude to call her "chubby" ;) . I've seen plenty of racers work to put weight on but few take it off.
Up till now, wasn't she primarily a SL skier?

I think this was only her 2nd WC GS.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
This video doesn't have the second runs of the leaders. Anyone have a link to those?
Found this one late last night...

Same ru channel that was pretty consistent a couple years ago.
Looks like the Mens is gone already.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Thanks!

This one appears, at any rate, to be minus the Russian commentary.

Alice Robinson did pretty much the same thing at Killington last year except there it was unrecoverable. Don’t know if it’s focus or tiredness or what but it happens lateish on the pitch.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Alice Robinson did pretty much the same thing at Killington last year except there it was unrecoverable. Don’t know if it’s focus or tiredness or what but it happens lateish on the pitch.
Also, though, as I've just discovered, ... only the first run. Double Aarrgh.

Sponsor

Staff online