• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s ski camps?

WC68

Booting up
Skier
can someone give me a list of women specific ski camps happening this season? I want to show up for moral support....

Just kidding. I’m interested in sending my wife to a camp. Intermediate focused. Wanted to send her to a HH (is that allowed here?) green camp, but there isn’t one this year.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Here's one idea. These camps break into groups from mid intermediate to advanced, you don't have to be an Olympian to ski with Donna.

DONNA WEINBRECHT WOMEN'S CAMP, AGES 18+
FEATURING OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST, DONNA WEINBRECHT

Join Olympic gold medalist and world champion mogul skier, Donna Weinbrecht, and Killington Resort’s top female coaches for an unforgettable learning experience specifically designed for ladies only.

2-DAY WOMEN'S CAMP
2018/19 DATES: January 26-27, 2019; February 23-24, 2019

For those looking specifically for hill time with the ladies, this 2-day camp is led by Donna and her team of top coaches and is designed for blue level skiers and above. Helmets are recommended.

PROGRAM INCLUDES:
Welcome Party at Preston's Restaurant at the Killington Grand Hotel the evening prior to the 2-day camp from 7:00-9:00 p.m.
  • 2-day lift ticket
  • Morning meeting place at Long Trail Pub in Snowshed Lodge at 8:30 a.m.
  • Two days of all-female coaching from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00-4:00 p.m. each day
  • Lunch at the Killington Grand each day at noon
  • Video analysis
https://www.killington.com/plan-your-trip/lessons-rentals/adult-programs/camps

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
can someone give me a list of women specific ski camps happening this season? I want to show up for moral support....

Just kidding. I’m interested in sending my wife to a camp. Intermediate focused. Wanted to send her to a HH (is that allowed here?) green camp, but there isn’t one this year.
I'm going to the Fear camp with Kristen Ulmer in March.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/press-release-the-art-of-fear-ski-camp.11790/

Many resorts have a women specific group camp that they do, like the one at Northstar 4Her or Squaw Women of Winter.
Look at specific resorts and see what you can find.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The whole insert 'celebrity" skier name camp, needs to stop. Almost none of these people knows how to teach, and it most case you either get poor instruction from the headliners or decent to good instruction from someone working for the headliners. If the big name wasnt attached to the camp, it would cost less and the instructors working it would get more.

With that said their is one "name" I can whole heartily endorse.

https://www.windhammountain.com/event/fear-workshop-with-mermer-blakeslee/

I am not sure what role Mermer plays with this camp, but even if she had a part picking the instructors its got to be better than several mentions above.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Whistler has a women's camp each year - dates this season:
  • December 8th & 9th
  • January 12th & 13th
  • January 26th & 27th
  • February 16th & 17th
  • March 9th & 10th
  • March 30th & 31st
Camp varies between 2 and 3 days historically. I guess it depends on the sponsorship deal they get? We like this one because it is one of the latest multi-day camp/clinics for women in the ski season. North face is running it this year.

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/p...Face-Womens-Ski-Camp-Advanced?date=12/17/2018

If you wanted to do something earlier in the season, there may be a better option.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I've done the WB ones and highly recommend them. Sponsor differs from year to year, but the coaches remain the same!! I got something this morning about a camp in Utah this winter. Have to go find it.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The whole insert 'celebrity" skier name camp, needs to stop. Almost none of these people knows how to teach, and it most case you either get poor instruction from the headliners or decent to good instruction from someone working for the headliners. If the big name wasnt attached to the camp, it would cost less and the instructors working it would get more.

With that said their is one "name" I can whole heartily endorse.

https://www.windhammountain.com/event/fear-workshop-with-mermer-blakeslee/

I am not sure what role Mermer plays with this camp, but even if she had a part picking the instructors its got to be better than several mentions above.
Having attended several "insert celebrity skier" ski camps, I think your assertion (generalization) is a little unfair.
Depending on what type of ski camp is being endorsed, my experience has been great.

Example:
I attended the Next Level with Ingrid Backstrom and Jessica Quinn at Squaw Valley three times. Not only did I get some amazing tactical instruction on skiing gnarly terrain, I received some great technical tips.
Ingrid is no slouch when it comes to instruction.

My hope for attending The Art of Fear, camp is to find a way to approach scary things a little differently.
How skilled Kristen Ulmer is as an instructor is of no significant importance to me.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe less of an intermediate focus, but I am sure this thread will attract others.

(copied from website)

Girls Do Ski

Canada's leading freeski camp provider for women. We started girls do ski to get more female skiers on the slopes and to connect those who are already out there. Our camps provide a supportive community of like-minded female athletes, who will help you grow on and off your skis. Ski lessons are a dime a dozen. What we work to provide are life lessons on skis where all women are treated equally and most importantly encouraged to achieve their personal best. It’s healthy to push your boundaries, and a safe and professional environment built on deep experience provides the ideal foundation. Our customers learn how to ski while building confidence and self-awareness that delivers value well beyond a technical skill.

https://www.girlsdoski.com/

DECEMBER
December 8th- Locals Camp, Revelstoke Mountain Resort

JANUARY
5-12th- Hakuba Valley, Japan

19-20th- Resort Camp, Revelstoke Mountain Resort

23-24th- Intro to Split-boarding, Revelstoke Mountain Resort

26-27th- 12 under 20, Revelstoke Mountain Resort

28-30- Advanced Ski touring, Rogers Pass

FEBRUARY
2-3rd- Resort Camp, Kicking Horse Mountain Resort

5-7th- Advanced Ski touring, Rogers Pass

16th- Rad Moms Resort camp, Revelstoke Mountain Resort

18-20th- Expert Ski touring, Rogers Pass

19-20th- Intro to ski touring, Revelstoke Mountain Resort

22-23- Guides Course, Revelstoke and Rogers Pass

MARCH
8-10th- Glacier Travel Course, Revelstoke and Roger Pass

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My hope for attending The Art of Fear, camp is to find a way to approach scary things a little differently.
How skilled Kristen Ulmer is as an instructor is of no significant importance to me.

I had a ski buddy who skied with Kristen Ulmer many times (still gets her e-newsletter) and she said Ulmer e was an excellent instructor; hopefully you'll find that true too.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I'm going to the Fear camp with Kristen Ulmer in March.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/press-release-the-art-of-fear-ski-camp.11790/

Many resorts have a women specific group camp that they do, like the one at Northstar 4Her or Squaw Women of Winter.
Look at specific resorts and see what you can find.

Last year I did the three-day clinic at Squaw/Alpine - Women of Winter.
https://squawalpine.com/skiing-riding/women-winter-clinic
I really enjoyed it - but I think a lot has to do with the instructor you get grouped with. I thought about doing it again this year, but the timing in January isn't right for me with work.

@Tricia - that Fear camp looks very interesting. I might look into that closer to the date. If I may take liberties with Yogi Berra, "Skiing is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I had a ski buddy who skied with Kristen Ulmer many times (still gets her e-newsletter) and she said Ulmer e was an excellent instructor; hopefully you'll find that true too.
I suspected that she is a good instructor as well as fear coach, so your endorsement (via your friend) is encouraging. For me, for this kind of camp, that's just the cherry on the sundae. I'm really looking forward to it and reporting on it, especially since it is just prior to her induction fo the Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame.
Stoked on many levels.
:yeah:

@Tricia - that Fear camp looks very interesting. I might look into that closer to the date. If I may take liberties with Yogi Berra, "Skiing is 90% mental. The other half is physical."
That would be fun!

Cryptica

Booting up
Skier

WC68, have you seen the New York Times article about women's camps? I'll put the link in at the bottom of this message.
I did the Telluride Women's Ski Week (they do a 3 day and a 5 day one, I did the 5) -- two years ago and really liked it a lot. Small groups of no more than 7, attentive instruction, friendly women from all over the country. They get a lot of repeaters, which is always a good sign.

I've done the Jackson Hole women's camp three times -- with caliber of instruction very mixed. It was many years ago, though, so can't say how it is now.

Here's the NY Times article
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/travel/5-women-only-ski-camps-.html

And another one in the same issue about How to Get the Most out of a Women's Ski Camp. (They covered the Alta one)
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/travel/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-a-womens-ski-camp.html

TS
WC68

WC68

Booting up
Skier
Thanks all.
Not sure we can make it happen this year, but thanks for the info. Hopefully one day.

Sponsor

Staff online