• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Wolf Creek terrain report?

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
I've got a chance to dash up to Wolf Creek in a couple of weeks (13th - 15th). It's a road trip, so I can play the decision lightly. I've followed their reports and the cams, so I know that they've got good early-season conditions (and more snow forecast soon). I'm wondering if anyone has a few specific details not usually reported: how are these areas skiing: off-piste areas between Treasure lift and the Navajo Trail, between Alberta lift and the Waterfall area, and the runs down either side of the Elma lift? I love to drop into those areas and just wander my way down through the trees and meadows, but too many obstacles might spoil the fun.

Also, I'm wondering how the new little Lynx lift provides access to the Elma and Alberta lights - via the Okey Dokey/A-Way trails? Do those run down to the Alberta area? I've been to WC twice and skied most of the mountain, but never took those trails. It doesn't really matter - it's a lot of fun to ski down from Treasure and on down the Elma lift line on either side.

And if anyone plans to ski Wolf Creek those days, it would be a treat to meet other forum folk.

Thank you!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They are supposed to get a dump this weekend a foot or more. We skied up there 2 weeks ago and it was skiing really quite well. Some of the Waterfall was even open. (still early season mind you and much of the trees were a bit suspect IMO. You really need minimum 40" base to venture into the trees and even that is pushing it a bit.) Keep in mind Wolf Creek is Caveat Emptor territory. That is, they leave the judgement up to you and err on the side of opening stuff up that I personally would not ski.

But there are already some good bump runs and decent coverage on trail. We only ran into one typical early season WC run, where you had to dodge mud and rocks. By Mid-December, it ought to be great.

I didn't even see the Lynx lift to be honest. If you want to use it to access Alberta, you can just get on A-way to get there. I've used the cat track and, unless it's someone who is a beginner meeting you over there, I wouldn't bother with it.

TS
Eddie S

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
They are supposed to get a dump this weekend a foot or more. We skied up there 2 weeks ago and it was skiing really quite well. Some of the Waterfall was even open. (still early season mind you and much of the trees were a bit suspect IMO. You really need minimum 40" base to venture into the trees and even that is pushing it a bit.) Keep in mind Wolf Creek is Caveat Emptor territory. That is, they leave the judgement up to you and err on the side of opening stuff up that I personally would not ski.

But there are already some good bump runs and decent coverage on trail. We only ran into one typical early season WC run, where you had to dodge mud and rocks. By Mid-December, it ought to be great.

I didn't even see the Lynx lift to be honest. If you want to use it to access Alberta, you can just get on A-way to get there. I've used the cat track and, unless it's someone who is a beginner meeting you over there, I wouldn't bother with it.
Thank you, Jerez! It's great to hear your report.

I'm a big fan of WC's Caveat Emptor policy. I'm not a daredevil - just like to wander off-piste in casual, relaxed fashion. It's snowing there now, and as you say, a good coating is expected this weekend with more in the long-term forecast. That should make for good wanderings through my favorite areas (I'm not skilled enough for Waterfall terrain - did it once by accident, and got down safely, but I'm not in that league).

Like you, I'm not sure why one would work from the new Lynx lift to Alberta. It is more fun to drop down from the top of Treasure Stoke, ski down the fun little tree runs lining Elma, and then take the Alberta lift.

Is anybody planning to be at Wolf Creek the 13th or into that weekend?

TS
Eddie S

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
With the weekend snow, summit, middle and base are all well above 40". Not much snow expected this week, but another storm cycle may move in by the middle of next week, about the time I hope to arrive. Fingers crossed...

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With the weekend snow, summit, middle and base are all well above 40". Not much snow expected this week, but another storm cycle may move in by the middle of next week, about the time I hope to arrive. Fingers crossed...

40" is enough to open all the mountain. And it's cold, so it should hold for you. Have fun!

TS
Eddie S

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
40" is enough to open all the mountain. And it's cold, so it should hold for you. Have fun!
You were right on the money, Jerez! Wolf Creek announced just this morning that they've opened 100% of their terrain. What a happy change from last year!