• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Wolf Creek, good for powder days?

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never skied there, seems like I remember reading on here it is good for powder, after a storm it does not get all tracked out first day. I have a Tao's ski pass, but I want to venture over to wolf creek for some powder after a storm.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
there isn't much there for consistent, long pitches in the perfect powder skiing angles but it's a nice place. It gets a lot of snow so there's often powder.

Reactions: Tex

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
there isn't much there for consistent, long pitches in the perfect powder skiing angles but it's a nice place. It gets a lot of snow so there's often powder.
Wolf creek is "benchy" -- some good but fairly short steeps, with flat spots in between.
It's still well worth skiing.

Be aware that Wolf Creek is liberal about opening terrain, so check snow depth reports before skiing where there is apt to be junk under the snow.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wolf creek is "benchy" -- some good but fairly short steeps, with flat spots in between.
It's still well worth skiing.

Be aware that Wolf Creek is liberal about opening terrain, so check snow depth reports before skiing where there is apt to be junk under the snow.
Oh yeah, worth a visit for sure but I prefer longer, consistent pitches for powder skiing. The flat areas in between the short pitches are loooong though.

I think it's an awesome place for folks that aren't super strong powder skiers though. Those long, flat breaks are probably welcome rests for powder curious flatlanders.

I've skied there once 20 years ago and I honestly haven't been compelled to go back, not with the other options available.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it's an awesome place for folks that aren't super strong powder skiers though.
That's me. I'm 61 and on year 3 of getting back into snow skiing after a looong lay off from skiiing. I skied a lot of power in the 80's, but not much since then. Last season I had one good powder day at Taos, and I struggled, but I was also struggling in the bumps, but just started getting it together in the bumps end of season. I got some 95 under the foot all mountain skis, I want to get some fatter boards this season for powder. The whole fat ski thing is new to me as well.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's me. I'm 61 and on year 3 of getting back into snow skiing after a looong lay off from skiiing. I skied a lot of power in the 80's, but not much since then. Last season I had one good powder day at Taos, and I struggled, but I was also struggling in the bumps, but just started getting it together in the bumps end of season. I got some 95 under the foot all mountain skis, I want to get some fatter boards this season for powder. The whole fat ski thing is new to me as well.
Well then it's probably a better mountain for you right now than say, Taos. Taos is relentless and unforgiving.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well then it's probably a better mountain for you right now than say, Taos. Taos is relentless and unforgiving.
I love Taos, Juarez, Mainsteet, I'm good with this steepness. I try not to go much steeper than these right now.. I'm doing ski week with the Ski Talk gathering, so hope to put it all together this season. But I skied everything in the 80's., and skied every day, but it is a whole new style of sking now, especially being old.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love that place. Heading up early next week.

Wolf Creek has changed a lot in 20 years. There is steep terrain to be had. It is "benchy" in places. But you said you were looking for powder not, steeps per se. Go. You'll have fun.

They have a good base depth and are 100% open and expecting 40" in the next ten days.

WC is for people who like to explore off the trail. Horseshoe bowl is a relatively long steep pitch of open bowl into trees. Yes, it empties out into flatter terrain, but worth it and the snowcat ride. If you are willing to do hiking, which being a Taos skier you are, you can find powder stashes for many, many days after a storm. Alberta Peak takes some schlepping, but Montezuma Bowl is an uphill traverse. The Waterfall gates will give you some short but definitely challenging options, as will the Knife Ridge - both skier's left and right of the Alberta lift terminus. Are you going to get a long, relentless bump run like Longhorn? No. But you will get a million different ways through the trees.

It is correct that it is a caveat emptor kind of place. (Good idea to ski with a partner and maybe bring a beacon etc.)

There is a new section with very mellow powder glades for beginner powder skiers, which is great if you are one. (I think it is off the Elma and Charity Jane lifts.) If you're not one, avoid them. Otherwise, it is a place that honors your freedom to go wherever. See some trees? Go in and head downhill until you find a lift.

Keep in mind that this is a "family" ski area, not a resort. If you require any measure of swank, forget it. They do have terrific home-made soups quiches and pies in the lodge though.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Na. I had a rib go out so just skied locally. Does look sweet!

Sponsor

Staff online