• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Winter Tires for SF - Tahoe Weekend Warrior

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Hi Again

OP here.

So boiling it all down I believe its best for me to stay away from winter (40F and below) tires in my application.

My new plan is to run an All Season 3PMSF tire like the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady

Tire Rack currently has $200 off a set of 4.

If you must get an all-weather tire, get Nokian, Michelin or BF Goodrich.

The Goodyear Weather Ready is a solid tire. I run them as my 3 season tire on the VW. We run the Nokian WGR3 on her Subie & the other VW as the 3-season tire and I think it is slightly (might even be in my head) better than the Goodyear. The other option is the Toyo Celcius, it is very good too. We have that on the other Subie. But the Goodyear WeatherReady & the Toyo Celcius handle the dry roads better than the Nokian WGR3.

Once we get heavy snow we move everything over to the Nokian Hakka 9 Studded.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Again

OP here.

So boiling it all down I believe its best for me to stay away from winter (40F and below) tires in my application.

My new plan is to run an All Season 3PMSF tire like the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady

Tire Rack currently has $200 off a set of 4.

Not pushing the Goodyear, I haven't really driven my spouses to be able to give a review nor could for snow .. but as noted had great so far on Tire Rack, but if you have decent tread left on your standard tires then specials come on regular basis. I picked up ours at just under $660 out the door on a 235/50 R18 which is pretty good as it has road hazard .. but honestly it was Sams Club so like Costco consider it free. In essence I figure a good deal is where one's final price is essentially only for the tires, the mounting, life rotation, hazard are then effectively free.

Discount tire has their deals for every holiday I can think that Black Friday may be reasonable wait given your noted tread. If going 4 season tire and wanting insurance .. if your Acura has wheel well clearance then a set of chains is great. Discount tire deals and others tend to be best when using their card ... I didn't care to submit a rebate, etc and was ok with our deal.

As I've aged some things are worth the extra cost and tires are one as while I like to think I'm an excellent driver and feel the road through the tires, figure my spouse and kids just haven't the milage nor geek-ness .. so I don't mind compensating. Like Pug Ski ski reviews I tend to trust certain web sites on tire reviews if there's lots of miles and miles on snow .. given I drive snow. Then too, kids and spouse drive the newer cars with 5 star ratings simply as I figure one crash may be a difference .. and so the tire are a thought.

All this wordiness I'd simply note .. if you can swing the winter tires and rims .. they're really not in the long run a big cost factor as you offset wear on your 4 season tires that are now 3 season .. but I understand the hassle of an extra set.

You actually seem to be at that odd price point where for the winters mentioned, and the rim size used .. you can get winters and rims for not much an adder to the more premium 4 season tires. It's a numbers game driven by discounts found.

cheers!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My main gripe with Goodyear, and I have driven many, is their transition between grip and no grip is too abrupt on anything but dry pavement (or loose gravel).
At this time I have Goodyear tires on my truck and they are good for the snow we have in North East, they work well on the dry pavement, not as good as I would like on wet roads but I may be overly fussy about wet roads.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
A long time ago and things change, but my 1986 Chevette was delivered in December of '86 with Goodyear Corsa GTs (a no-season tire). These tires were a perfect example of the family traits. The first time I approached the limit on a slightly wet road (just started raining - admit this is the worst condition, wet but not residue on road washed off yet) I was absolutely shocked at how abrupt the transition from solidly planted to E-ticket ride was. That being said, I decided to tough out the winter with them being brand new with sharp edges and deep tread, and there was no drama. I even made it over Roger's Pass during a snow storm (British Columbia) just before they shut it down. Albeit, due to adz hole in front of me not wanting to risk driving his lifted 4x4 more than 5 mph and it not being safe to pass, I did have to back up and take a 2nd run at one of the climbs.

More recently (a year and a half ago) my son slid off the road with Goodyear dedicated winter tires going down a hill on an icy back road in Quebec. My mom did OK with her Goodyear tires (went in looking for a different tire and salesman sold her those), but she drove like an old lady, and his aunt did OK with the Goodyear winter tires on the Matrix before he ended up with it, but she drives like an old lady (of course she would say I drive like a maniac). His car had no damage, until another car slid off in the same spot and totalled his Matrix. I didn't ask him if the other car had Goodyear tires on it too - I'm not as insensitive as I used to be.

If you drive like an old lady, you might be ok with Goodyear Wrangler or Assurance all-weather tires, but I still recommend BF Goodrich.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A long time ago and things change, but my 1986 Chevette was delivered in December of '86 with Goodyear Corsa GTs (a no-season tire). These tires were a perfect example of the family traits. The first time I approached the limit on a slightly wet road (just started raining - admit this is the worst condition, wet but not residue on road washed off yet) I was absolutely shocked at how abrupt the transition from solidly planted to E-ticket ride was. .
LOL, we had a VW Golf with those Corsa GT's....they were the scariest tires I ever been on. It is got overcast, they would slide off the road.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll update folks on how the Weatherready performs for me once we get snow and I'll run it around on some rain conditions this next week or two.

Did note a BF Goodrich with similar ratings, not as many miles or reviewers so maybe a bit early but several from folks using on snow. One glowing one from one traveling Donner's pass.

Too, lower price point than Weatherready.

https://www.tirerack.com/survey/Sur...TR6ATASLT&tirePageLocQty=&partnum=27TR6ATASLT

Uncle-A

Skier
I am under the impression that BF Goodrich is now owned by Michelin tire company of France. Not sure where I heard it but it was a while back.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am under the impression that BF Goodrich is now owned by Michelin tire company of France. Not sure where I heard it but it was a while back.
The web says in 1988 ... so the French have owned them quite some time!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Side note ping ... as Discount Tire was noted .. they have their Independence day sale going on from the 28th to 30th .. (30th must be for on line as around here, they're closed Sundays)

Says 15% off in a MC rebate, this a ad pop up on Pugski ... dang surfing gives it all away!

James

Out There
Instructor
Goodyear giving $100 off set of four on some tires through 6/30. $200 if you use a Goodyear credit card.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Goodyear giving $100 off set of four on some tires through 6/30. $200 if you use a Goodyear credit card.

Good point, note too many places will price match. While I wasn't looking for it I bought some tires at Tire Rack and being short on time (was visiting home town) didn't get them mounted.

Went to Discount for them to mount em, sales guy said they would of matched prices. So always good to ask if you like to stay with a specific tire shop.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Good point, note too many places will price match. While I wasn't looking for it I bought some tires at Tire Rack and being short on time (was visiting home town) didn't get them mounted.

Went to Discount for them to mount em, sales guy said they would of matched prices. So always good to ask if you like to stay with a specific tire shop.
My local, independent, go to tire shop that I've used since I started driving usually matches Tirerack or DTG prices within a few bucks but includes mounting and balancing. They can usually get any tire you want within a few hours if they don't stock it, even on a saturday. They also will do a proper flat repair(dismount, proper vulcanized patch, remount, high speed balance) for $15 and rotate and balance for ~$30. They will get you in and out with 4 new tires within 20-30 minutes unless they're jammed up because of impending snow, then it might take as much as an hour and a half. I've even had them comp a few patches and rotations because I've been a long time customer. If you live anywhere close you should use them.https://www.allweathertiresny.com

Uncle-A

Skier
My local, independent, go to tire shop that I've used since I started driving usually matches Tirerack or DTG prices within a few bucks but includes mounting and balancing. They can usually get any tire you want within a few hours if they don't stock it, even on a saturday. They also will do a proper flat repair(dismount, proper vulcanized patch, remount, high speed balance) for $15 and rotate and balance for ~$30. They will get you in and out with 4 new tires within 20-30 minutes unless they're jammed up because of impending snow, then it might take as much as an hour and a half. I've even had them comp a few patches and rotations because I've been a long time customer. If you live anywhere close you should use them.https://www.allweathertiresny.com
Those prices seem fair for NYC. Most places in the City are a lot higher.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Those prices seem fair for NYC. Most places in the City are a lot higher.
I think where I live and work on Long Island is often more expensive than NYC for many things but both places seem to vary wildly by your particular location.

Sponsor

Staff online